[PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

12

[PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Matt Foley-2
Hi all,
This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently we
have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.  Yet
the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the plan
needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.

Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
 and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
non-normative commentary
here<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice>)
are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.

I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
 document:

===

1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
following text is removed:

** Release Plan*

Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates a
Release Manager.

Lazy majority of active committers

2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an additional
role is defined:

** Release Manager*

A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
Candidate according to
HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
 The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating the
branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus around
the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
Product Release vote.

===

Please share your views.
Best regards,
--Matt (long-time release manager)

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
+1million

I completely agree with Chris D's separate email too about not
vote'ing about intentions, and voting on actual artifacts.

The fact of the matter at the ASF is that any PMC member; heck any
contributor can roll a release candidate. If that candidate receives
at least 3 PMC member +1s (to make it binding as backed by the Foundation
and its distributed committees and structure), and more +1s than -1s,
you've got yourself
a release. It's up to someone on the PMC/committee at that point to publish
the bits on ASF infrastructure and ultimately to make sure that whoever
made
the RC has a key that's present in a KEYS file or on id.apache.org, but
beyond that, that's it.*

Cheers,
Chris

* - if Joe Schmoe comes along and makes a release candidate that passes
muster with the Hadoop PMC, then I would expect Joe Schmoe should be added
to the PMC :)

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

From: Matt Foley <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:10 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

>Hi all,
>This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently
>we
>have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
>committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.
>Yet
>the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the
>plan
>needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.
>
>Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
> and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
>non-normative commentary
>here<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practi
>ce>)
>are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
>consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
>I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.
>
>I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
>simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
>this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
>consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
>Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
> document:
>
>===
>
>1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
>following text is removed:
>
>** Release Plan*
>
>Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates a
>Release Manager.
>
>Lazy majority of active committers
>

>2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an
>additional
>role is defined:
>
>** Release Manager*
>
>A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
>Candidate according to
>HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
> The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating the
>branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
>week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus
>around
>the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
>Product Release vote.
>
>===
>
>Please share your views.
>Best regards,
>--Matt (long-time release manager)

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Chris Douglas
+1

Thanks for taking care of this, Matt. -C

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Matt Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently we
> have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
> committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.  Yet
> the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the plan
> needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.
>
> Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
>  and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
> non-normative commentary
> here<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice>)
> are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
> consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
> I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.
>
> I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
> simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
> this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
> consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
> Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
>  document:
>
> ===
>
> 1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
> following text is removed:
>
> ** Release Plan*
>
> Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates a
> Release Manager.
>
> Lazy majority of active committers
>

> 2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an additional
> role is defined:
>
> ** Release Manager*
>
> A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
> Candidate according to
> HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
>  The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating the
> branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
> week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus around
> the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
> Product Release vote.
>
> ===
>
> Please share your views.
> Best regards,
> --Matt (long-time release manager)

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Aaron T. Myers
+1

I've always found the Release Plan votes a bit bizarre, and the fact that
we've gone through many releases that did not have a corresponding Release
Plan vote suggest to me that we should just scrap them.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Chris Douglas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks for taking care of this, Matt. -C
>
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Matt Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently
> we
> > have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
> > committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.
>  Yet
> > the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the
> plan
> > needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.
> >
> > Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
> >  and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
> > non-normative commentary
> > here<
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice>)
> > are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
> > consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
> > I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.
> >
> > I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
> > simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
> > this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
> > consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
> > Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
> >  document:
> >
> > ===
> >
> > 1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
> > following text is removed:
> >
> > ** Release Plan*
> >
> > Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates
> > Release Manager.
> >
> > Lazy majority of active committers
> >

> > 2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an
> additional
> > role is defined:
> >
> > ** Release Manager*
> >
> > A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
> > Candidate according to
> > HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
> >  The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating
> the
> > branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
> > week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus
> around
> > the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
> > Product Release vote.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Please share your views.
> > Best regards,
> > --Matt (long-time release manager)

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Suresh Srinivas-2
+1

http://hortonworks.com/download/

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Alejandro Abdelnur
+1

Alejandro

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Giridharan Kesavan
+1

-Giri

Arpit Gupta
+1

--
Arpit Gupta
Hortonworks Inc.

On May 21, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Matt Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently we
> have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
> committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.  Yet
> the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the plan
> needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.
>
> Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
> and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
> non-normative commentary
> here<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice>)
> are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
> consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
> I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.
>
> I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
> simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
> this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
> consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
> Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
> document:
>
> ===
>
> 1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
> following text is removed:
>
> ** Release Plan*
>
> Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates a
> Release Manager.
>
> Lazy majority of active committers
>

> 2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an additional
> role is defined:
>
> ** Release Manager*
>
> A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
> Candidate according to
> HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
> The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating the
> branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
> week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus around
> the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
> Product Release vote.
>
> ===
>
> Please share your views.
> Best regards,
> --Matt (long-time release manager)

RE: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Jagane Sundar
I see one significant benefit to having Release Plan votes: Fewer releases with more members of the community working on any given release.
In turn, fewer Hadoop releases implies less confusion for end users attempting to download and use an Apache Hadoop release.

If there are a dozen different releases of Apache Hadoop available for download at the Apache Hadoop website, end users will go to a commercial vendor packaged version of Hadoop. That is not good for the Apache Hadoop community as a whole.

Jagane

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Arun Murthy
+1, thanks for taking the initiative on this Matt.

On May 21, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Matt Foley wrote:

> Hi all,
> This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently we
> have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
> committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.  Yet
> the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the plan
> needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.
>
> Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
> and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
> non-normative commentary
> here<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice>)
> are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
> consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
> I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.
>
> I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
> simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
> this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
> consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
> Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
> document:
>
> ===
>
> 1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
> following text is removed:
>
> ** Release Plan*
>
> Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates a
> Release Manager.
>
> Lazy majority of active committers
>

> 2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an additional
> role is defined:
>
> ** Release Manager*
>
> A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
> Candidate according to
> HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
> The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating the
> branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
> week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus around
> the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
> Product Release vote.
>
> ===
>
> Please share your views.
> Best regards,
> --Matt (long-time release manager)

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Eli Collins
+1  thanks Matt.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Matt Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently we
> have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
> committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.  Yet
> the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the plan
> needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.
>
> Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
>  and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
> non-normative commentary
> here<
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice>)
> are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
> consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
> I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.
>
> I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
> simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
> this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
> consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
> Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
>  document:
>
> ===
>
> 1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
> following text is removed:
>
> ** Release Plan*
>
> Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates a
> Release Manager.
>
> Lazy majority of active committers
>

> 2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an additional
> role is defined:
>
> ** Release Manager*
>
> A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
> Candidate according to
> HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
>  The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating the
> branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
> week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus around
> the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
> Product Release vote.
>
> ===
>
> Please share your views.
> Best regards,
> --Matt (long-time release manager)

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Sandy Ryza
+1 (non-binding)

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Eli Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1  thanks Matt.
>

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Matt Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > This has been a side topic in several email threads recently.  Currently
> we
> > have an ambiguity.  We have a tradition in the dev community that any
> > committer can create a branch, and propose release candidates from it.
>  Yet
> > the Hadoop bylaws say that releases have to be planned in advance, the
> plan
> > needs to be voted on, and presumably can be denied.
> >
> > Apache policies (primarily here <http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
> >  and here <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>, with
> > non-normative commentary
> > here<
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice
> >)
> > are very clear on how Releases have to be approved, and our bylaws are
> > consistent with those policies.  But Apache policies don't say anything
> > I've found about Release Plans, nor about voting on Release Plans.
> >
> > I propose the following change, to remove Release Plan votes, and give a
> > simple definition of Release Manager role.  I'm opening discussion with
> > this proposal, and will put it to a vote if we seem to be getting
> > consensus.  Here's the changes I suggest in the
> > Bylaws<http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html>
> >  document:
> >
> > ===
> >
> > 1. In the "Decision Making" : "Actions" section of the Bylaws, the
> > following text is removed:
> >
> > ** Release Plan*
> >
> > Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates
> > Release Manager.
> >
> > Lazy majority of active committers
> >

> > 2. In the "Roles and Responsibilities" section of the Bylaws, an
> additional
> > role is defined:
> >
> > ** Release Manager*
> >
> > A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
> > Candidate according to
> > HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
> >  The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating
> the
> > branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
> > week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus
> around
> > the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
> > Product Release vote.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Please share your views.
> > Best regards,
> > --Matt (long-time release manager)

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Jitendra Pandey
+1

<http://hortonworks.com/download/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Karthik Kambatla-2
+1 (non-binding)

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Jitendra Pandey
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a
> Release
> > > Candidate according to
> > > HowToRelease<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease>.
> > >  The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the *common-dev@* list stating
> > the
> > > branch from which they intend to make a Release Candidate, at least one
> > > week before they do so. The RM is responsible for building consensus
> > around
> > > the content of the Release Candidate, in order to achieve a successful
> > > Product Release vote.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Please share your views.
> > > Best regards,
> > > --Matt (long-time release manager)

> <http://hortonworks.com/download/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Mahadev Konar-3
+1.

thanks
mahadev

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Karthik Kambatla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)
>

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Jitendra Pandey
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> +1
>>

>> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Eli Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > +1  thanks Matt.

>>  Currently
>> > we
>> >  Yet
>> > plan

>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
>> > >
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice

>> nominates

>> > additional

>> Release
>> > the
>> > around

>> <http://hortonworks.com/download/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Matt Foley-2
13/14 +1's.  I think that constitutes consensus.  Moving this to a VOTE
thread.  Please repeat your +1s :-)
Cheers,
--Matt

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Mahadev Konar <[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1.
>
> thanks
> mahadev
>
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Karthik Kambatla <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > +1 (non-binding)
> >

> > On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Jitendra Pandey
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> >> +1

> >>  Currently
> any
> it.
> the

> >> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html>
> >> > >
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice
> are
> anything

> give
> with

> >> nominates

> >> Release
> stating
> one
> successful

> >> --
> >> <http://hortonworks.com/download/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Why repeat just tally new ones?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 21, 2013, at 6:58 PM, "Matt Foley" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 13/14 +1's.  I think that constitutes consensus.  Moving this to a VOTE
> thread.  Please repeat your +1s :-)
> Cheers,
> --Matt
>

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Mahadev Konar <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> +1.
>>
>> thanks
>> mahadev
>>
>> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Karthik Kambatla <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> +1 (non-binding)

>> any
>> it.
>> the

>> are
>> anything

>> give
>> with

>> stating
>> one
>> successful

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Matt Foley-2
Ok, if no one complains I will phrase the vote to include +1's explicitly
cast in the discussion thread.
--Matt

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (398J) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why repeat just tally new ones?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 21, 2013, at 6:58 PM, "Matt Foley" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 13/14 +1's.  I think that constitutes consensus.  Moving this to a VOTE
> > thread.  Please repeat your +1s :-)
> > Cheers,
> > --Matt
> >

> > On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Mahadev Konar <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> +1.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> mahadev

> >> any
> >> it.
> >> the

> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice
> >> are
> >> anything

> >> give
> >> with

> >> stating
> >> one
> >> successful

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Matt Foley-2
Hi Jagane,
since you did not explicitly cast a -1 or other numerical vote, please if
you wish go ahead and cast a vote in the VOTE thread.
Best regards,
--Matt

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Jagane Sundar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see one significant benefit to having Release Plan votes: Fewer releases
> with more members of the community working on any given release.
> In turn, fewer Hadoop releases implies less confusion for end users
> attempting to download and use an Apache Hadoop release.
>
> If there are a dozen different releases of Apache Hadoop available for
> download at the Apache Hadoop website, end users will go to a commercial
> vendor packaged version of Hadoop. That is not good for the Apache Hadoop
> community as a whole.
>
> Jagane

Re: [PROPOSAL] change in bylaws to remove Release Plan vote

Steve Loughran-3
On 21 May 2013 23:47, Jagane Sundar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see one significant benefit to having Release Plan votes: Fewer releases
> with more members of the community working on any given release.
> In turn, fewer Hadoop releases implies less confusion for end users
> attempting to download and use an Apache Hadoop release.
>
> If there are a dozen different releases of Apache Hadoop available for
> download at the Apache Hadoop website, end users will go to a commercial
> vendor packaged version of Hadoop. That is not good for the Apache Hadoop
> community as a whole.
>
> Jagane

I agree we don't want fragmentation; you don't want to have to choose
between hadoop-2.1, hadoop-2.1.stevel-may and hadoop-2.1.stevel-june.

With a vote on artifact releases, this can be prevented. I am free to
create my -may and -june artifacts, but the PMC -it is just the PMC right?-
get to say "no steve, you can't ship this from the apache.org" site, though
I am free to make my own (which I have done in the past & put into my own
RPMs. No need for a vote if I do it on my own site, though I did make sure
I named the JARs and RPMs something else so that maven builds didn't get
confused.
12