Performance of putting the solr data in SAN.

Performance of putting the solr data in SAN.

Yongjun Rong-2
Hi,
  I'm jus wondering if anybody has experinces about putting the solr
data in SAN instead of local disk. Is there a big performance penalty?
Please share with me your experiences.
  Thank you very much.
  Yongjun Rong

RE: Performance of putting the solr data in SAN.

Yongjun Rong-2
 Hi,
  I did not get any response from this maillist about this quesiton.
Does that mean no one in this mail list used Solr with SAN? Please reply
to me if you use solr with SAN.
  Thank you very much.
  Yongjun Rong

Re: Performance of putting the solr data in SAN.

Nuno Leitao
Hi.

It all depends on what SAN you will be using, and also the size of you
index when compared to the amount of RAM on your server(s).

For example, if your index is only a couple of GB, and your server has
sufficient RAM, performance between a SAN and DAD (Directly Attached
Disks) will likely not make a difference.

If however your index is large (as in, many multiples of the total RAM
on your server(s)) and the QPS (queries per second) or document update
rate is large, then you will generally see a difference.

When it comes to SAN versus DAD - there are so many variables that it
is difficult to start explaining the pros and cons. Generally
speaking, in most cases if you have a good RAID level (say, 10) and
lots of directly attached disks (5+) then DAD performance can easily
reach or beat the performance of an average SAN.

However, a good FC SAN with lots of spindles and lots of cache will
most likely outperform an average DAD setup.

It's up to you to talk to your hardware people and decide - there's no
"best practice" for this as such.

--Nuno

2008/9/2 Yongjun Rong <[hidden email]>:

>  Hi,
>  I did not get any response from this maillist about this quesiton.
> Does that mean no one in this mail list used Solr with SAN? Please reply
> to me if you use solr with SAN.
>  Thank you very much.
>  Yongjun Rong

JerylCook
using a SAN to persistent your data doesn't effect performance.

--
Jeryl Cook
/^\ Pharaoh /^\
American People, September 20, 2001