Performance of range queries in Point vs. Trie fields

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Performance of range queries in Point vs. Trie fields

Michael Cooper
For both Solr 7 and Solr 8, we have found that attempts to do range queries on DatePointField when there are a large number of points performs poorly (queries were taking over 30 seconds on a 50G core). We also tried switching to IntPointField to see if it made a difference and it didn't. Just for comparison, we switched to using the deprecated TrieDateField and found the performance was significantly better, almost 5x better on average. We even tried different precision steps and although there was slight variation between various values, all were significantly faster than the DatePointField. So we are now running in production with the deprecated fields instead. Wanted to know if this is a common observance, because blogs I've read lead me to believe that the Point fields are supposed to be fast. Not sure what the testing environment was for that but that has not been our experience. I hope that these Trie fields are going to stay in the product for Solr 9, I know they were supposed to be removed in Solr 8 but there must have been a reason they were not.

Michael Cooper

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Performance of range queries in Point vs. Trie fields

Michael Cooper
I think my original post didn't go through because I wasn't subscribed so apologizes if this is a duplicate.

For both Solr 7 and Solr 8, we have found that attempts to do range queries on DatePointField when there are a large number of points performs poorly (queries were taking over 30 seconds on a 50G core). We also tried switching to IntPointField to see if it made a difference and it didn't. Just for comparison, we switched to using the deprecated TrieDateField and found the performance was significantly better, almost 5x better on average. We even tried different precision steps and although there was slight variation between various values, all were significantly faster than the DatePointField. So we are now running in production with the deprecated fields instead. Wanted to know if this is a common observance, because blogs I've read lead me to believe that the Point fields are supposed to be fast. Not sure what the testing environment was for that but that has not been our experience. I hope that these Trie fields are going to stay in the product for Solr 9, I know they were supposed to be removed in Solr 8 but there must have been a reason they were not.

Thanks for your help!
Michael Cooper