Planning suggestions please

RobinBones
I am new to solr, and I have an idea of what I would like my end result to
be. I want to run my plan by the list and make sure that I am approaching
this in the best manor.

* I have items in a database, each item has multiple tags (keywords).

* I would like to preform a search, then get a unique list of all the tags
that show up in the result set.

* The user could then select a tag, and a new search would be preformed, and
a new smaller list of tags would show up
.

The only way that I can think of doing this, is executing 2 searches, the
initial one selecting the top 10 results to display.

The second search would select just the tag strings for all the results. I
would then have to loop though all the keywords testing to see if it was
somewhere in the result (regular expression).

Is there a better way to preform this task?

Re: Planning suggestions please

Yonik Seeley-2
Hi Robin,
Solr has built-in simple faceted searching that sounds like it does
exactly what you are looking for:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters

If you haven't yet, go through the little Solr tutorial here:
http://incubator.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html
(unfortunately, we haven't added highlighting or faceting stuff to the
tutorial).

Then try adding some faceting parameters based on the first link I
provided above.

-Yonik

On 11/1/06, Robin Bonin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am new to solr, and I have an idea of what I would like my end result to
> be. I want to run my plan by the list and make sure that I am approaching
> this in the best manor.
>
> * I have items in a database, each item has multiple tags (keywords).
>
> * I would like to preform a search, then get a unique list of all the tags
> that show up in the result set.
>
> * The user could then select a tag, and a new search would be preformed, and
> a new smaller list of tags would show up
> .
>
> The only way that I can think of doing this, is executing 2 searches, the
> initial one selecting the top 10 results to display.
>
> The second search would select just the tag strings for all the results. I
> would then have to loop though all the keywords testing to see if it was
> somewhere in the result (regular expression).
>
> Is there a better way to preform this task?

Re: Planning suggestions please

RobinBones
That is exactly what I was looking for.
I thought it was possible, just didn't know where to find it.