Please help testing the release files

Michael Busch
Hi Team,

in our Lucene 2.1 release we had several problems with our release files:
- build.xml in binary release didn't work - demos couldn't be built even
  though the demo sources were included in the binaries
- some contrib modules couldn't be built or testcases failed for some
contribs
- LICENSE.TXT and NOTICE.TXT weren't included in the META-INF dir

Thanks to some recently committed patches and great help from other
committers
all of the above mentioned problems should be fixed now.

I just built the release files from a current svn checkout and uploaded
the files
to http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/staging_area/lucene/. Note that this is
not a release candidate yet. I would like to ask everyone to help testing
the build to ensure that we'll find possible additional bugs this time
earlier
in the release process.

So please help testing the release files on different platforms with
different
JVM versions.

Thanks to everyone in advance,

- Michael

Re: Please help testing the release files

Doron Cohen
Michael Busch wrote on 04/06/2007 18:59:49:

> So please help testing the release files on
> different platforms with different JVM versions.

Checked with jdk 1.4 on Win/XP, found no problems:

 lucene-2.2-dev.zip:
   + md5: OK
   + LICENSE.TXT: OK
   + NOTICE.TXT: OK
   + ant: OK
   + ant jar-demo: OK
   + ant war-demo: OK

 lucene-2.2-dev-src.zip
   + md5: OK
   + LICENSE.TXT: OK
   + NOTICE.TXT: OK
   + ant clean test: OK

Doron

Doron Cohen wrote:

> Michael Busch wrote on 04/06/2007 18:59:49:
>

>> So please help testing the release files on
>> different platforms with different JVM versions.
>>

> Checked with jdk 1.4 on Win/XP, found no problems:
>
>  lucene-2.2-dev.zip:
>    + md5: OK
>    + LICENSE.TXT: OK
>    + NOTICE.TXT: OK
>    + ant: OK
>    + ant jar-demo: OK
>    + ant war-demo: OK
>
>  lucene-2.2-dev-src.zip
>    + md5: OK
>    + LICENSE.TXT: OK
>    + NOTICE.TXT: OK
>    + ant clean test: OK
>
> Doron

I checked on Ubuntu Linux 7.0.4 32 Bit.

With all Sun JDKs 1.4, 5.0 and 6.0:

lucene-2.2-dev.tar.gz:
  + md5: OK
  + LICENSE.TXT:  ? (see below)
  + NOTICE.TXT:  ? (see below)
  + ant clean war-demo: OK

lucene-2.2-dev-src.tar.gz:
  + md5: OK
  + ant clean test: OK

* the two files LICENSE.TXT and NOTICE.TXT are located in the META_INF dir
of lucene-core-2.2-dev.jar which is OK, but neither in
lucene-demos-2.2-dev.jar, nor
in the contrib jars. I guess we have to add them to those jars as well?

Michael Busch wrote:

> I checked on Ubuntu Linux 7.0.4 32 Bit.
>
> With all Sun JDKs 1.4, 5.0 and 6.0:
>
> lucene-2.2-dev.tar.gz:
>  + md5: OK
>  + LICENSE.TXT:  ? (see below)
>  + NOTICE.TXT:  ? (see below)
>  + ant clean war-demo: OK
>
> lucene-2.2-dev-src.tar.gz:
>  + md5: OK
>  + ant clean test: OK
>

> * the two files LICENSE.TXT and NOTICE.TXT are located in the META_INF
> dir
> of lucene-core-2.2-dev.jar which is OK, but neither in
> lucene-demos-2.2-dev.jar, nor
> in the contrib jars. I guess we have to add them to those jars as well?

I just fixed this with LUCENE-907 and uploaded new release files to the
same location:
http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/staging_area/lucene/

lucene-2.2-dev.tar.gz:
 + LICENSE.TXT:  OK
 + NOTICE.TXT:  OK

Re: Please help testing the release files

Grant Ingersoll-2
I feel like I am forgetting something with all the emails flying
around about packaging, but don't the contrib jars also need their
libs packaged with them in the binary distribution?  Or at least a
way to specify what they are and where to get them?  They are there
in the source distribution.

On Jun 5, 2007, at 4:23 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Michael Busch wrote:
>>
>> I checked on Ubuntu Linux 7.0.4 32 Bit.
>>
>> With all Sun JDKs 1.4, 5.0 and 6.0:
>>
>> lucene-2.2-dev.tar.gz:
>>  + md5: OK
>>  + LICENSE.TXT:  ? (see below)
>>  + NOTICE.TXT:  ? (see below)
>>  + ant clean war-demo: OK
>>
>> lucene-2.2-dev-src.tar.gz:
>>  + md5: OK
>>  + ant clean test: OK
>>

>> * the two files LICENSE.TXT and NOTICE.TXT are located in the
>> META_INF dir
>> of lucene-core-2.2-dev.jar which is OK, but neither in lucene-
>> demos-2.2-dev.jar, nor
>> in the contrib jars. I guess we have to add them to those jars as
>> well?
>>
> I just fixed this with LUCENE-907 and uploaded new release files to
> the same location:
> http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/staging_area/lucene/
>
> lucene-2.2-dev.tar.gz:
> + LICENSE.TXT:  OK
> + NOTICE.TXT:  OK

Re: Please help testing the release files

Chris Hostetter-3

: I feel like I am forgetting something with all the emails flying
: around about packaging, but don't the contrib jars also need their
: libs packaged with them in the binary distribution?  Or at least a
: way to specify what they are and where to get them?  They are there
: in the source distribution.

This was discussed back during the 2.1 release - but there the focus was
on making the contribs in the src-dist compilable ... there wasn't much
discussion about dependencies for the binary dist.

http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--release-Lucene-2.1-tf3228536.html#a8981287
http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--release-Lucene-2.1-tf3228536.html#a8980616

Re: Please help testing the release files

Grant Ingersoll-2
Hmmm, it is all nicely packaged in source, which satisfies the
discussion you listed below.  As for the binary distributions, they
are pretty much worthless unless you have some way of knowing what
the dependencies are, right?  Or am I missing something?

On Jun 6, 2007, at 5:45 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : I feel like I am forgetting something with all the emails flying
> : around about packaging, but don't the contrib jars also need their
> : libs packaged with them in the binary distribution?  Or at least a
> : way to specify what they are and where to get them?  They are there
> : in the source distribution.
>
> This was discussed back during the 2.1 release - but there the
> focus was
> on making the contribs in the src-dist compilable ... there wasn't
> much
> discussion about dependencies for the binary dist.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--release-Lucene-2.1-
> tf3228536.html#a8981287
> http://www.nabble.com/-VOTE--release-Lucene-2.1-
> tf3228536.html#a8980616
>

> -Hoss

Re: Please help testing the release files

Chris Hostetter-3
: Hmmm, it is all nicely packaged in source, which satisfies the
: discussion you listed below.  As for the binary distributions, they
: are pretty much worthless unless you have some way of knowing what
: the dependencies are, right?  Or am I missing something?

I would assume so, but i don't use any contribs with dependencies, so i
don't really have a strong sense of the issue.  (it's not clear to me how
anyone ever used these contribs in the past, so i can't say whether it's
"useles" moving forward.)

Re: Please help testing the release files

Michael Busch
Michael Busch wrote on 04/06/2007 18:59:49:

> > So please help testing the release files on
> > different platforms with different JVM versions.

For testing purposes I uploaded a current build from the 2.2 branch to

Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> As for the binary distributions, they are pretty much worthless unless
> you have some way of knowing what the dependencies are, right?

We could add README.txt files to the contrib directories and package
them together with the jars in the binary distribution?
The readmes should list the dependencies and where to get them.

Re: Please help testing the release files

Jukka Zitting

On 6/5/07, Michael Busch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So please help testing the release files on different platforms with
> different JVM versions.

Tested on:

   - Windows XP, Sun Java 1.4.2_12
   - Windows XP, Sun Java 1.6.0-b105
   - Ubuntu 7.04, Sun Java 1.6.0-b105

I also ran RAT (http://code.google.com/p/arat/) on the source archive,
and there seem to be some files without license headers. Nothing
really major, but you may want to check at least some of the files.
I've listed the source files below, but I think the best practice
would nowadays be to include license headers also in things like Ant
build scripts, etc.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

src/java/org/apache/lucene/document/MapFieldSelector.java
src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/PrefixFilter.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/TestHitIterator.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/analysis/TestISOLatin1AccentFilter.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestAddIndexesNoOptimize.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestBackwardsCompatibility.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestFieldInfos.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexFileDeleter.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriter.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterDelete.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterLockRelease.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestIndexWriterMergePolicy.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestNorms.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestParallelTermEnum.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestSegmentTermEnum.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestTerm.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/index/TestTermVectorsReader.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/TestRangeQuery.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/TestTermScorer.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/store/TestBufferedIndexInput.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/store/TestWindowsMMap.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/store/_TestHelper.java
src/test/org/apache/lucene/util/_TestUtil.java
contrib/benchmark/src/java/org/apache/lucene/benchmark/byTask/feeds/SimpleSloppyPhraseQueryMaker.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/gdata/server/FeedNotFoundException.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/gdata/server/registry/ComponentType.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/gdata/server/registry/RegistryException.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/gdata/storage/lucenestorage/StorageAccountWrapper.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/core/src/test/org/apache/lucene/gdata/storage/lucenestorage/TestModifiedEntryFilter.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/gom/src/test/org/apache/lucene/gdata/gom/core/AtomUriElementTest.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/gom/src/test/org/apache/lucene/gdata/gom/core/GOMEntryImplTest.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/gom/src/test/org/apache/lucene/gdata/gom/core/GOMFeedImplTest.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/gom/src/test/org/apache/lucene/gdata/gom/core/GOMGenereatorImplTest.java
contrib/gdata-server/src/gom/src/test/org/apache/lucene/gdata/gom/core/GOMSourceImplTest.java
contrib/highlighter/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/highlight/TokenSources.java
contrib/javascript/queryConstructor/luceneQueryConstructor.js
contrib/javascript/queryEscaper/luceneQueryEscaper.js
contrib/javascript/queryValidator/luceneQueryValidator.js
contrib/queries/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/BooleanFilter.java
contrib/queries/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/BoostingQuery.java
contrib/queries/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/FilterClause.java
contrib/queries/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/FuzzyLikeThisQuery.java
contrib/queries/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/TermsFilter.java
contrib/queries/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/similar/MoreLikeThisQuery.java
contrib/queries/src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/BooleanFilterTest.java
contrib/regex/src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/regex/TestSpanRegexQuery.java
contrib/snowball/src/java/net/sf/snowball/Among.java
contrib/snowball/src/java/net/sf/snowball/SnowballProgram.java
contrib/snowball/src/java/net/sf/snowball/TestApp.java
contrib/spellchecker/src/test/org/apache/lucene/search/spell/TestSpellChecker.java
contrib/surround/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/surround/query/BooleanQueryTst.java
contrib/surround/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/surround/query/ExceptionQueryTst.java
contrib/surround/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/surround/query/SingleFieldTestDb.java
contrib/surround/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/surround/query/Test01Exceptions.java
contrib/surround/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/surround/query/Test02Boolean.java
contrib/surround/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/surround/query/Test03Distance.java
contrib/wordnet/src/java/org/apache/lucene/wordnet/SynExpand.java
contrib/wordnet/src/java/org/apache/lucene/wordnet/SynLookup.java
contrib/wordnet/src/java/org/apache/lucene/wordnet/Syns2Index.java

Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Tested on:
>
>   - Windows XP, Sun Java 1.4.2_12
>   - Windows XP, Sun Java 1.6.0-b105
>   - Ubuntu 7.04, Sun Java 1.6.0-b105

Great, thank you, Jukka!

> I also ran RAT (http://code.google.com/p/arat/) on the source archive,
> and there seem to be some files without license headers. Nothing
> really major, but you may want to check at least some of the files.
> I've listed the source files below, but I think the best practice
> would nowadays be to include license headers also in things like Ant
> build scripts, etc.
I will take care of the license headers. Thanks!

- Michael