Poll: solr-dev/java-dev overlap

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Out of curiosity.  Please reply ONLY if your are a Solr committer and the answer to any of the questions is Yes.

1) Are you on solr-dev, but NOT on java-dev?

2) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY FOLLOW java-dev?

3) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE on java-dev?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Poll: solr-dev/java-dev overlap

Yonik Seeley
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Out of curiosity.  Please reply ONLY if your are a Solr committer and the answer to any of the questions is Yes.
>
> 1) Are you on solr-dev, but NOT on java-dev?
>

> 2) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY FOLLOW java-dev?

Half way - with Solr not on Lucene trunk, java-dev becomes less
relevant to work I'm trying to do.

> 3) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE on java-dev?

Even more so (because of #2).

Re: Poll: solr-dev/java-dev overlap

hossman

: 1) Are you on solr-dev, but NOT on java-dev?
        NO
: 2) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY FOLLOW java-dev?
        NO
: 3) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE on java-dev?
        YES
...i skim all the subjects, but i don't read everything, and very
infrequently reply to most threads, either because tthey are over my head
or because i don't have anything to contribute it.

But in that regard, i supsect I'm the same as about 90% of hte people who
subscribe.

Re: Poll: solr-dev/java-dev overlap

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:22 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Out of curiosity.  Please reply ONLY if your are a Solr committer and the
> answer to any of the questions is Yes.
>
> 2) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY FOLLOW java-dev?

I don't follow all the discussions but I skim through the subjects to keep
myself informed. I bookmark interesting threads and read them when I have
more time.

> 3) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE on java-dev?

Yes.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Poll: solr-dev/java-dev overlap

Mike Klaas
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Chris Hostetter
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> : 1) Are you on solr-dev, but NOT on java-dev?
>        NO
> : 2) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY FOLLOW java-dev?
>        NO
> : 3) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE on java-dev?
>        YES
> ...i skim all the subjects, but i don't read everything, and very
> infrequently reply to most threads, either because tthey are over my head
> or because i don't have anything to contribute it.
>
> But in that regard, i supsect I'm the same as about 90% of hte people who
> subscribe.

I was in the same boat as Hoss, when I was active.

-Mike

Re: Poll: solr-dev/java-dev overlap

Grant Ingersoll-2

On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Out of curiosity.  Please reply ONLY if your are a Solr committer and the answer to any of the questions is Yes.
>
> 1) Are you on solr-dev, but NOT on java-dev?
>

> 2) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY FOLLOW java-dev?

I actively follow.  Lately, it seems java-dev requires following IRC too, but that is a separate issue.  For the record, I follow that too.

I'm less active on java-dev than solr-dev, but I still do contribute, just not at the level I used to and the primary reason is b/c of the disjunction between the two.  My time is more effectively spent in Solr for the reasons mentioned before.

Re: Poll: solr-dev/java-dev overlap

Otis Gospodnetic-2

Hey Grant, I'm not picking on you, I swear!  :)

On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:52 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Out of
> curiosity.  Please reply ONLY if your are a Solr committer and the answer
> to any of the questions is Yes.
>
> 1) Are you on solr-dev, but NOT
> on java-dev?
>
> 2) Are you active on solr-dev, but do NOT
> ACTIVELY FOLLOW java-dev?
>

> I actively follow.
> Lately, it seems java-dev requires following IRC too, but that is a separate
> issue.  For the record, I follow that too.

> 3) Are you
> active on solr-dev, but do NOT ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE on java-dev?
>

> I'm less active on java-dev than solr-dev, but I still do contribute,
> just not at the level I used to and the primary reason is b/c of the disjunction
> between the two.  My time is more effectively spent in Solr for the reasons
> mentioned before.

And this is what confuses me.  How will merging -dev mailing lists help?  You are already on both.  This is not meant as some kind of a provocative or rhetoric question.  I really don't follow.

I do understand how for a Solr user/developer/contributor it makes sense (and is easier) to just contribute X functionality to Solr and get it in the next Solr release vs. taking the time to commit to Lucene core/module.  By committing directly to Solr one doesn't have to:
* learn Lucene internals/code
* be a member of Lucene dev community
* be on java-dev
* wait for the Lucene release and its inclusion in Solr

And indeed, I don't know how to prevent *contributors* from wanting to contribute patches directly against Solr.
But I don't understand why Solr *committers* could not write/commit patches against Lucene directly, not Solr, if we can get Solr to always have the fresh Lucene builds, so we can get rid of the Lucene trunk jars->Solr  trunk delay.

Please help me and others understand.  Thanks,
Otis