Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

Milan Lučanský
Hi,

I set up Nutch on win 7, according to: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/GettingNutchRunningWithWindows

When I type bin/nutch, the usage summary appear, so I assume the Nutch is installed correctly.

Then I moved on Nutch tutorial on: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial

But after trying to run command:
bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawl -depth 3 -topN 5

I get the following error:
bin/nutch: line 251: exec: C:\Program: not found

I tried to search for solution but without any success.

Pleas can you halp me solve this problem? I already noticed, that win 7 + cygwin is not the best
combination for Nutch, but I am not experienced linux/unix user, therefore I preffer little overhead
against switching to another operation system.

I'm running Win 7, cygwin-1.7.9-1, Tomcat 7.0

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.
Milan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

lewis john mcgibbney
Hi Milan,

This is coming from someone who has not used Nutch with Windows for a good
2 years... so please forgive if info is not accurate. Hopefully we can work
towards getting it sorted out and update the wiki accordingly.

Firstly can you please state which version of Nutch your using? As you
mention Tomcat, I assume your using 1.2, however it would be highly
recommended to upgrade to atleast 1.3 and use Solr for searching instead of
using a Lucene index within Tomcat. This is however, obviously down to
yourself.

Have you set any environment variables in your windows set-up? You can do
this by going into control panel, system settings, advanced system settings.

Please try the above and post results. I'm not sure how many people are
using this set up but it would be nice to get the wiki updated
none-the-less.

2011/11/7 Milan Lučanský <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> I set up Nutch on win 7, according to: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
> GettingNutchRunningWithWindows<http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/GettingNutchRunningWithWindows>
>
> When I type bin/nutch, the usage summary appear, so I assume the Nutch is
> installed correctly.
>
> Then I moved on Nutch tutorial on: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
> NutchTutorial <http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial>
>
> But after trying to run command:
> bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawl -depth 3 -topN 5
>
> I get the following error:
> bin/nutch: line 251: exec: C:\Program: not found
>
> I tried to search for solution but without any success.
>
> Pleas can you halp me solve this problem? I already noticed, that win 7 +
> cygwin is not the best combination for Nutch, but I am not experienced
> linux/unix user, therefore I preffer little overhead against switching to
> another operation system.
>
> I'm running Win 7, cygwin-1.7.9-1, Tomcat 7.0
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards.
> Milan
>



--
*Lewis*
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

Jean-Francois Gingras
We currently run Nutch on Windows 7. We have install it under C:\Nutch
since space in path can lead to the error you mention.

2011/11/7 Lewis John Mcgibbney <[hidden email]>

> Hi Milan,
>
> This is coming from someone who has not used Nutch with Windows for a good
> 2 years... so please forgive if info is not accurate. Hopefully we can work
> towards getting it sorted out and update the wiki accordingly.
>
> Firstly can you please state which version of Nutch your using? As you
> mention Tomcat, I assume your using 1.2, however it would be highly
> recommended to upgrade to atleast 1.3 and use Solr for searching instead of
> using a Lucene index within Tomcat. This is however, obviously down to
> yourself.
>
> Have you set any environment variables in your windows set-up? You can do
> this by going into control panel, system settings, advanced system
> settings.
>
> Please try the above and post results. I'm not sure how many people are
> using this set up but it would be nice to get the wiki updated
> none-the-less.
>
> 2011/11/7 Milan Lučanský <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I set up Nutch on win 7, according to: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
> > GettingNutchRunningWithWindows<
> http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/GettingNutchRunningWithWindows>
> >
> > When I type bin/nutch, the usage summary appear, so I assume the Nutch is
> > installed correctly.
> >
> > Then I moved on Nutch tutorial on: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
> > NutchTutorial <http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial>
> >
> > But after trying to run command:
> > bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawl -depth 3 -topN 5
> >
> > I get the following error:
> > bin/nutch: line 251: exec: C:\Program: not found
> >
> > I tried to search for solution but without any success.
> >
> > Pleas can you halp me solve this problem? I already noticed, that win 7 +
> > cygwin is not the best combination for Nutch, but I am not experienced
> > linux/unix user, therefore I preffer little overhead against switching to
> > another operation system.
> >
> > I'm running Win 7, cygwin-1.7.9-1, Tomcat 7.0
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Best regards.
> > Milan
> >
>
>
>
> --
> *Lewis*
>



--
Jean-François Gingras
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

remi tassing
I had the same issue.and tried several things but it didn't work. From all
research.I made in forums and mailing-lists, the only solution that's
working for me was to switch back to Nutch-1.2.

I wish there is a better alternative!

Remi

On Thursday, December 8, 2011, Jean-François Gingras <
[hidden email]> wrote:
> We currently run Nutch on Windows 7. We have install it under C:\Nutch
> since space in path can lead to the error you mention.
>
> 2011/11/7 Lewis John Mcgibbney <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Milan,
>>
>> This is coming from someone who has not used Nutch with Windows for a
good
>> 2 years... so please forgive if info is not accurate. Hopefully we can
work
>> towards getting it sorted out and update the wiki accordingly.
>>
>> Firstly can you please state which version of Nutch your using? As you
>> mention Tomcat, I assume your using 1.2, however it would be highly
>> recommended to upgrade to atleast 1.3 and use Solr for searching instead
of

>> using a Lucene index within Tomcat. This is however, obviously down to
>> yourself.
>>
>> Have you set any environment variables in your windows set-up? You can do
>> this by going into control panel, system settings, advanced system
>> settings.
>>
>> Please try the above and post results. I'm not sure how many people are
>> using this set up but it would be nice to get the wiki updated
>> none-the-less.
>>
>> 2011/11/7 Milan Lučanský <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I set up Nutch on win 7, according to: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
>> > GettingNutchRunningWithWindows<
>> http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/GettingNutchRunningWithWindows>
>> >
>> > When I type bin/nutch, the usage summary appear, so I assume the Nutch
is

>> > installed correctly.
>> >
>> > Then I moved on Nutch tutorial on: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
>> > NutchTutorial <http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial>
>> >
>> > But after trying to run command:
>> > bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawl -depth 3 -topN 5
>> >
>> > I get the following error:
>> > bin/nutch: line 251: exec: C:\Program: not found
>> >
>> > I tried to search for solution but without any success.
>> >
>> > Pleas can you halp me solve this problem? I already noticed, that win
7 +
>> > cygwin is not the best combination for Nutch, but I am not experienced
>> > linux/unix user, therefore I preffer little overhead against switching
to

>> > another operation system.
>> >
>> > I'm running Win 7, cygwin-1.7.9-1, Tomcat 7.0
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance.
>> >
>> > Best regards.
>> > Milan
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> *Lewis*
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Jean-François Gingras
>

--
Remi Tassing
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

lewis john mcgibbney
So you are not able to get Nutch >= 1.3 working on Windows 7 + Cygwin is
this correct?

What kind of errors are you seeing? I can only hope that Milan got the
issue sorted out as we never heard back.

If you are having issues and want to utilise the extensive upgrades/big
fixes/improvements offered by Nutch 1.4 (even over 1.3) then please start
by posting your log output or by describing your problem. The more vague
your request, the less helpful people can be when trying to help you out.

Thanks

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 3:25 AM, remi tassing <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had the same issue.and tried several things but it didn't work. From all
> research.I made in forums and mailing-lists, the only solution that's
> working for me was to switch back to Nutch-1.2.
>
> I wish there is a better alternative!
>
> Remi
>
> On Thursday, December 8, 2011, Jean-François Gingras <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > We currently run Nutch on Windows 7. We have install it under C:\Nutch
> > since space in path can lead to the error you mention.
> >
> > 2011/11/7 Lewis John Mcgibbney <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> Hi Milan,
> >>
> >> This is coming from someone who has not used Nutch with Windows for a
> good
> >> 2 years... so please forgive if info is not accurate. Hopefully we can
> work
> >> towards getting it sorted out and update the wiki accordingly.
> >>
> >> Firstly can you please state which version of Nutch your using? As you
> >> mention Tomcat, I assume your using 1.2, however it would be highly
> >> recommended to upgrade to atleast 1.3 and use Solr for searching instead
> of
> >> using a Lucene index within Tomcat. This is however, obviously down to
> >> yourself.
> >>
> >> Have you set any environment variables in your windows set-up? You can
> do
> >> this by going into control panel, system settings, advanced system
> >> settings.
> >>
> >> Please try the above and post results. I'm not sure how many people are
> >> using this set up but it would be nice to get the wiki updated
> >> none-the-less.
> >>
> >> 2011/11/7 Milan Lučanský <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > I set up Nutch on win 7, according to:
> http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
> >> > GettingNutchRunningWithWindows<
> >> http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/GettingNutchRunningWithWindows>
> >> >
> >> > When I type bin/nutch, the usage summary appear, so I assume the Nutch
> is
> >> > installed correctly.
> >> >
> >> > Then I moved on Nutch tutorial on: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
> >> > NutchTutorial <http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial>
> >> >
> >> > But after trying to run command:
> >> > bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawl -depth 3 -topN 5
> >> >
> >> > I get the following error:
> >> > bin/nutch: line 251: exec: C:\Program: not found
> >> >
> >> > I tried to search for solution but without any success.
> >> >
> >> > Pleas can you halp me solve this problem? I already noticed, that win
> 7 +
> >> > cygwin is not the best combination for Nutch, but I am not experienced
> >> > linux/unix user, therefore I preffer little overhead against switching
> to
> >> > another operation system.
> >> >
> >> > I'm running Win 7, cygwin-1.7.9-1, Tomcat 7.0
> >> >
> >> > Thank you in advance.
> >> >
> >> > Best regards.
> >> > Milan
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> *Lewis*
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Jean-François Gingras
> >
>
> --
> Remi Tassing
>



--
*Lewis*
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

John Whelan-2
In reply to this post by Jean-Francois Gingras
Hi Milan, et al.,

I'm in much the same situation as you. My primary interest with Nutch is
running it on Windows platforms. What I have discovered, is that
installation and configuration of Nutch on Windows is a lot of work, and
that many things can go wrong along the way. In your e-mail, it sounds like
you are encountering problems that tend to occur when using directory names
that include spaces. This is a Windows-specific problem, as UNIX does not
allow spaces in directory names. The simplest solution is to avoid using
directories with spaces in the names.

Well I tend to personally dislike responses to questions that go along the
lines of "you really shouldn't be trying to do what you're doing", I do
have a somewhat interesting suggestion. A while back I had produced a
bundling of Nutch for Windows. This bundling had included an installer
which proceeded to install all the necessary components, and configure them
to work with each other. After several versions of this were released, I
ran into a problem caused by a version upgrade in CygWin. At the time, I
didn't see a way to resolve the issue in a manner that I found acceptable.
The two main problems that I saw were in the impact to the installation
process, and what I believed was a impact to licensing. Since then, after
taking some time away from the problem, I came to the conclusion that I
could solve the technical problems and that I could live with the licensing
impacts. I am currently in the process of producing a bundled installation
of Nutch for Windows, with the goal of providing a simple means for people
to run Nutch on Windows. I'm currently in the stage of development where I
believe I have completed the product, and I am now working on putting
together a website to describe the product in detail. After seeing your
e-mail, I thought this might be a good opportunity to see if there is any
interest in beta testing the product.

The product I have produced is a bundling of Nutch with Solr on Windows.
Additionally, configuration has been done to focus the solution towards
supporting a private network that is looking to provide internal search
capabilities to the sites within that network. The primary target of this
focus is for companies to be able to provide to their employees a search
mechanism for their internal sites. The additional configurations that I
have done fall into the categories of usability and security. In the
usability camp, I have provided a graphical user interface for
administrative configuration, and I have also produced an XSL
transformation on the solar results to display them as a user facing HTML
page. The security aspects have focused on restricting access to Solr's
administrative (admin) and updating (update) functions.The downside, in
terms of licensing, is that this new version of the application is licensed
under GPL 3. Well I tend to dislike the implications of GPL, this should be
a usable license for the target audience, and only become a problem if
someone wanted to sell a product or service based on this work. If there
was interest in obtaining more permissive licensing terms for portions of
this work, I would probably be willing provided that I didn't run afoul of
the demands of the underlying GPL components.

Well not quite yet ready for release, it is very close. As I mentioned, the
main remaining task is to build a site to describe the application, which
will include publishing the installer binary to a reputable freeware site.
Given your e-mail, I thought this might be a good opportunity to kick
things off. Given that I have a pile of vacation to burn before the end of
the year, I anticipate that the official rollout will be sometime between
now and Christmas. The following URL points to a location that I have
placed the installer for this application. If you want, give it a shot. I'd
be interested in knowing what you thought.

http://whelanlabs.home.comcast.net/~whelanlabs/files/SearchEngineInstall_3.0.exe

Regards,
John


On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Jean-François Gingras <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> We currently run Nutch on Windows 7. We have install it under C:\Nutch
> since space in path can lead to the error you mention.
>
> 2011/11/7 Lewis John Mcgibbney <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi Milan,
> >
> > This is coming from someone who has not used Nutch with Windows for a
> good
> > 2 years... so please forgive if info is not accurate. Hopefully we can
> work
> > towards getting it sorted out and update the wiki accordingly.
> >
> > Firstly can you please state which version of Nutch your using? As you
> > mention Tomcat, I assume your using 1.2, however it would be highly
> > recommended to upgrade to atleast 1.3 and use Solr for searching instead
> of
> > using a Lucene index within Tomcat. This is however, obviously down to
> > yourself.
> >
> > Have you set any environment variables in your windows set-up? You can do
> > this by going into control panel, system settings, advanced system
> > settings.
> >
> > Please try the above and post results. I'm not sure how many people are
> > using this set up but it would be nice to get the wiki updated
> > none-the-less.
> >
> > 2011/11/7 Milan Lučanský <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I set up Nutch on win 7, according to: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
> > > GettingNutchRunningWithWindows<
> > http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/GettingNutchRunningWithWindows>
> > >
> > > When I type bin/nutch, the usage summary appear, so I assume the Nutch
> is
> > > installed correctly.
> > >
> > > Then I moved on Nutch tutorial on: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/**
> > > NutchTutorial <http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/NutchTutorial>
> > >
> > > But after trying to run command:
> > > bin/nutch crawl urls -dir crawl -depth 3 -topN 5
> > >
> > > I get the following error:
> > > bin/nutch: line 251: exec: C:\Program: not found
> > >
> > > I tried to search for solution but without any success.
> > >
> > > Pleas can you halp me solve this problem? I already noticed, that win
> 7 +
> > > cygwin is not the best combination for Nutch, but I am not experienced
> > > linux/unix user, therefore I preffer little overhead against switching
> to
> > > another operation system.
> > >
> > > I'm running Win 7, cygwin-1.7.9-1, Tomcat 7.0
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
> > >
> > > Best regards.
> > > Milan
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > *Lewis*
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Jean-François Gingras
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

lewis john mcgibbney
In reply to this post by Milan Lučanský
Can anyone confirm this?
If this is the case it would be great to get it fired on to the wiki
for future reference.

Thank you

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Whitman, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Lewis –
>
>
>
> I believe I know what this issue was – I would bet that the user has set an
> environment variable ‘NUTCH_JAVA_HOME’ and the path to the java install
> contains ‘Program Files’, who’s space is throwing Nutch for a loop.
>
>
>
> Best –
>
>
>
> JW
>
>
>
> John Whitman
> Development Director
> Electronic Arts
> Tel: 650-628-9944
> [hidden email]
>
>



--
Lewis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin

Luis Taveras

Hi, Try changing the run command from your bin/nutch file: Nutch-1.3 and up: Line 250 # run itLine 251 exec $EXEC_CALL $CLASS "$@") to  Pre nutch-1.3 Line 250  # run it
Line 251  exec "$JAVA" $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $NUTCH_OPTS -classpath "$CLASSPATH" $CLASS "$@" it worked for me on a Window Vista + Cygwin. Enjoy.
 > Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:31:19 +0000

> Subject: Re: Problem running Nutch on Win 7 + Cygwin
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
> If this is the case it would be great to get it fired on to the wiki
> for future reference.
>
> Thank you
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Whitman, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Lewis –
> >
> >
> >
> > I believe I know what this issue was – I would bet that the user has set an
> > environment variable ‘NUTCH_JAVA_HOME’ and the path to the java install
> > contains ‘Program Files’, who’s space is throwing Nutch for a loop.
> >
> >
> >
> > Best –
> >
> >
> >
> > JW
> >
> >
> >
> > John Whitman
> > Development Director
> > Electronic Arts
> > Tel: 650-628-9944
> > [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Lewis