Problem with multicore

Jörg Agatz
Hallo Users,

I habve a Problem wit Solr 1.4.1 on Ubuntu 10.10

I have download the new version and extract it!

than i have copy the solr.xml from example/multicore/solr.xml to
/examples/solr/solr.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<!--

 contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with

 The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0

 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with

 the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

 limitations under the License.

-->

<!--

 All (relative) paths are relative to the installation path

  persistent: Save changes made via the API to this file

  sharedLib: path to a lib directory that will be shared across all cores

-->

<solr persistent="false">

  <!--

  adminPath: RequestHandler path to manage cores.

    If 'null' (or absent), cores will not be manageable via request handler

  -->

  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores">

    <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0" />

    <core name="core1" instanceDir="core1" />

  </cores>

</solr>

than i create folders example/solr/core0 and example/solr/core1
and in each folder a conf folder, with the original schema.xml and
solrconfig.xml ect..

start Solr with "sudo java -Dsolr.solr.home=multicore -jar start.jar"

but nuw i cant index something with:

sudo java -Ddata=args -Dcommit=yes -Durl=
http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/update -jar post.jar *.xml

i always get:

SimplePostTool: version 1.2

SimplePostTool: WARNING: Make sure your XML documents are encoded in UTF-8,
other encodings are not currently supported

SimplePostTool: POSTing args to http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/update..

SimplePostTool: FATAL: Solr returned an error:
Unexpected_character_m_code_109_in_prolog_expected___at_rowcol_unknownsource_11

service@joa-Desktop:~/Desktop/apache-solr-1.4.1/example/exampledocs$

Some ideas what i have make wrong?

King

Re: Problem with multicore

Tommaso Teofili
Hi Jörg,
I think the first thing you should check is your Ubuntu's encoding, second
one is file permissions (BTW why are you sudoing?).
Did you try using the bash script under example/exampledocs named "post.sh"
(use it like this: 'sh post.sh *.xml')
Cheers,
Tommaso

2010/12/15 Jörg Agatz <[hidden email]>

> Hallo Users,
>
> I habve a Problem wit Solr 1.4.1 on Ubuntu 10.10
>
> I have download the new version and extract it!
>
> than i have copy the solr.xml from example/multicore/solr.xml to
> /examples/solr/solr.xml
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
>
> <!--
>
>  Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
>
>  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
>
>  this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
>
>  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
>
>  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
>
>  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
>

>     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>

>  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>
>  distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>
>  WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
>
>  See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>
>  limitations under the License.
>
> -->
>

> <!--
>
>  All (relative) paths are relative to the installation path
>

>  persistent: Save changes made via the API to this file
>
>  sharedLib: path to a lib directory that will be shared across all cores
>
> -->
>
> <solr persistent="false">
>

>  <!--
>
>  adminPath: RequestHandler path to manage cores.
>
>    If 'null' (or absent), cores will not be manageable via request handler
>
>  -->
>
>  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores">
>
>    <core name="core0" instanceDir="core0" />
>
>    <core name="core1" instanceDir="core1" />
>
>  </cores>
>
> </solr>
>

> than i create folders example/solr/core0 and example/solr/core1
> and in each folder a conf folder, with the original schema.xml and
> solrconfig.xml ect..
>
> start Solr with "sudo java -Dsolr.solr.home=multicore -jar start.jar"
>
> but nuw i cant index something with:
>
> sudo java -Ddata=args -Dcommit=yes -Durl=
> http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/update -jar post.jar *.xml
>
> i always get:
>
> SimplePostTool: version 1.2
>
> SimplePostTool: WARNING: Make sure your XML documents are encoded in UTF-8,
> other encodings are not currently supported
>
> SimplePostTool: POSTing args to http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/update..
>
> SimplePostTool: FATAL: Solr returned an error:
>
> Unexpected_character_m_code_109_in_prolog_expected___at_rowcol_unknownsource_11
>
> service@joa-Desktop:~/Desktop/apache-solr-1.4.1/example/exampledocs$
>

> Some ideas what i have make wrong?
>
> King

Re: Problem with multicore

Chris Hostetter-3

: SimplePostTool: FATAL: Solr returned an error:
: Unexpected_character_m_code_109_in_prolog_expected___at_rowcol_unknownsource_11

if you look at your solr log (or the HTTP response body, SimplePostTool
only gives you the status line) you'll see the more human readable form of
that error which is probably something like...

   Unexpected character 'm' (code 109) in prolog; expected '<'
     at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,1]

in short: this has nothing to do with the fact that you are running
multi-core, and everything to do with the fact that one of your xml files
isn't valid XML and has an "m" in the first character of the first line.

(it is most likely one of the XML files you are trying to post .. but
there is a remote possibility it is in one of your config files -- i can't
remember if config parsing errors are saved to use as HTTP errors in this
way, but since you didn't confirm wehter you could actually load things
like the admin screen after starting solr, i'm not sure off the top of my
head)

-Hoss