Processing solr response....

Ravish Bhagdev
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything
when I searched...

I have been looking ant SolJava examples.  I've been using
Nutch/Lucene before which returns results from query nicely in a class
with url, title and snippet (summary).  While Solr seems to return XML
with score and other details with just the url field.

Is there a way to avoid having to deal with XML after each query?  I
want to avoid parsing it will be much better if I could get results
directly into a Java data structure like a List or Map etc through the
API.

Also can anyone point me to some example or documentation which
clarifies XML returned by Solr and also how to get variations of this
including specifying what exactly i would see in xml like which
particular fields etc.  Hope i'm making sense....

Thanks,
Ravi

RE: Processing solr response....

Jonathan Woods
This kind of thing is what I was getting at in SOLR-344
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-344).  There I said I'd post a
prototype Java API - but for now, I've had to give up and go back to my
home-grown Lucene-based code.

Venkatraman S
I am trying to build a  sample program(in Java). But, to do this i have some
queries, as  basic documentation - which i am not able to find.

Some basic Qs:
- Does Solr create its own index or is it a wrapper on lucene index(i et its
the latter)
- If answer to the prev Q is NO,  then how is the SOlr index diff from the
lucene index.
- IndexReader and IndexWriter will no longer be used in the SOlr programs -
yes/no ?
- some documentation on using remote indexes with SOlr ( also faceted
searching)

thanks ,
Venkat

On 9/4/07, Jonathan Woods <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This kind of thing is what I was getting at in SOLR-344
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-344).  There I said I'd post a
> prototype Java API - but for now, I've had to give up and go back to my
> home-grown Lucene-based code.

Lance Norskog-2
This goes through the Solr http response, right? The Solr XSL processor
feature will do this for you.

You write an XSL script and add it to $SOLR/conf/xslt. You then use extra
parameters in a query. The output XML will be transformed by the XSL.

The XSL can create anything you want: lists of IDs, etc. I just wrote a
script that creates the <update> format, so that I can do bulk copies from
production into our development solr.  I did not implement the multivalued
<arr> data type; if someone wants to do this and submit it please contact
me.

Ravi

Re: Processing solr response....

hossman
: - Does Solr create its own index or is it a wrapper on lucene index(i et its
: the latter)

"Lucene" in the context of this discussion is a Java Library.  Solr is an
application written in Java -- Solr uses the Lucene library to create an

: - If answer to the prev Q is NO,  then how is the SOlr index diff from the
: lucene index.

the index is a Lucene index, which can be read by any application that
uses the Lucene library -- one caveat to this is that depending on the
FieldTypes you tell Solr to use, the field values may be encoded in ways
that other applications will not understand.  several people have used
Solr to search indexes built by their own custom code, or by nutch (and
vice versa)

: - IndexReader and IndexWriter will no longer be used in the SOlr programs -
: yes/no ?

Solr provides an HTTP API for indexing and searching data.  your
application can be written in any language you want, and communicates with
Solr over HTTP -- it can get the responses back in a variety of formats.

: - some documentation on using remote indexes with SOlr ( also faceted
: searching)

you have to elaborate on what you mean by "remote indexes" ...

Solr as a "web service" can be as "remote" as you want it to be from your
clients (as long as your clients can reach it over the network using HTTP)
but it accesses the underlying index using the filesystem.

If you mean you want Solr to be able to access the unerlying index across
a network in real time -- that is not suported.  You can however use the
replication scripts to create you index on one "master" machine and then
have any number of "slave" machines pull it -- Solr can then begin to
seamlessly use the new index while it finishs existing requests using the
old index.

-Hoss