Propose Solr committer meeting next week

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Propose Solr committer meeting next week

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.

Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community

When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.

For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
* This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
* Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
* Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
* Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
* Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.

Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.

Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community

When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.

For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
* This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
* Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
* Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
* Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
* Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.

Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Erick Erickson
David:

I may be able to attend, but perhaps only via keyboard. It depends on when I get back from an appointment in time. If I don’t make it back in time, here’s some grist for the mill.

Can we add an item for the Gradle build effort? I’m curious what people think about that effort and whether it’s worth pursuing and if so, how/when. Should we make it a goal to make it the only build system for 9.0? Try to backport for 8x? etc. So far, it’s not a big deal to keep the Gradle branch current with master, there are _very_ few necessary code changes, it’s almost all new code. Dawid noticed some issues where the gradle_8 branch doesn’t match master, I’m not sure what’s going on with that.

If some variant of my straw-man proposal below is adopted, my vote would be to make the Gradle build 9x only assuming we go forward with it.

*************

My straw-man proposal:

If we’re going to make many of the changes the agenda outlines, we’re going to be tearing up a lot of code. And, I very much assume, going through quite a period of (more) instability. So I expect making changes unrelated to this effort on both master and 8x will become increasingly difficult. Should we be prepared to “soft freeze" 8x and bend efforts to releasing 9.0 at some point (TBD)? I don’t think of this is a “hard freeze”, more like pretending we just made a 9.0 release and getting increasingly selective about what we attempt to backport.

And thanks for organizing this!
Erick

> On Nov 17, 2019, at 9:13 AM, David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
> The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.
>
> Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community
>
> When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.
>
> For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
> * This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
> * Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
> * Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
> * Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
> * Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.
>
> Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Atri Sharma-3
Does it make sense for Lucene committers to attend?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 at 20:20, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
David:

I may be able to attend, but perhaps only via keyboard. It depends on when I get back from an appointment in time. If I don’t make it back in time, here’s some grist for the mill.

Can we add an item for the Gradle build effort? I’m curious what people think about that effort and whether it’s worth pursuing and if so, how/when. Should we make it a goal to make it the only build system for 9.0? Try to backport for 8x? etc. So far, it’s not a big deal to keep the Gradle branch current with master, there are _very_ few necessary code changes, it’s almost all new code. Dawid noticed some issues where the gradle_8 branch doesn’t match master, I’m not sure what’s going on with that.

If some variant of my straw-man proposal below is adopted, my vote would be to make the Gradle build 9x only assuming we go forward with it.

*************

My straw-man proposal:

If we’re going to make many of the changes the agenda outlines, we’re going to be tearing up a lot of code. And, I very much assume, going through quite a period of (more) instability. So I expect making changes unrelated to this effort on both master and 8x will become increasingly difficult. Should we be prepared to “soft freeze" 8x and bend efforts to releasing 9.0 at some point (TBD)? I don’t think of this is a “hard freeze”, more like pretending we just made a 9.0 release and getting increasingly selective about what we attempt to backport.

And thanks for organizing this!
Erick

> On Nov 17, 2019, at 9:13 AM, David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
> The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.
>
> Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community
>
> When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.
>
> For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
> * This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
> * Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
> * Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
> * Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
> * Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.
>
> Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

--
Regards,

Atri
Apache Concerted
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Erick Erickson
Lucene devs are always welcome, and some of the people attending work on Lucene as well. This is mostly a Solr issue though. There are two outcomes that directly affect Lucene I can think of offhand:

1> moving to the Gradle build, which irrelevant if the consensus is to treat that effort separately

2> if the consensus results in a significant delay for any 9.0 release it also directly impacts Lucene. There’s no reason additional 8x releases couldn’t be done though.

So feel free to attend, I’m not sure how valuable it will be though. Maybe Lucene folks can catch up on e-mails ;)

> On Nov 17, 2019, at 10:18 AM, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does it make sense for Lucene committers to attend?
>
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 at 20:20, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David:
>
> I may be able to attend, but perhaps only via keyboard. It depends on when I get back from an appointment in time. If I don’t make it back in time, here’s some grist for the mill.
>
> Can we add an item for the Gradle build effort? I’m curious what people think about that effort and whether it’s worth pursuing and if so, how/when. Should we make it a goal to make it the only build system for 9.0? Try to backport for 8x? etc. So far, it’s not a big deal to keep the Gradle branch current with master, there are _very_ few necessary code changes, it’s almost all new code. Dawid noticed some issues where the gradle_8 branch doesn’t match master, I’m not sure what’s going on with that.
>
> If some variant of my straw-man proposal below is adopted, my vote would be to make the Gradle build 9x only assuming we go forward with it.
>
> *************
>
> My straw-man proposal:
>
> If we’re going to make many of the changes the agenda outlines, we’re going to be tearing up a lot of code. And, I very much assume, going through quite a period of (more) instability. So I expect making changes unrelated to this effort on both master and 8x will become increasingly difficult. Should we be prepared to “soft freeze" 8x and bend efforts to releasing 9.0 at some point (TBD)? I don’t think of this is a “hard freeze”, more like pretending we just made a 9.0 release and getting increasingly selective about what we attempt to backport.
>
> And thanks for organizing this!
> Erick
>
> > On Nov 17, 2019, at 9:13 AM, David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
> > The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.
> >
> > ~ David Smiley
> > Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> > http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.
> >
> > Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community
> >
> > When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.
> >
> > For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
> > * This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
> > * Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
> > * Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
> > * Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
> > * Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.
> >
> > Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.
> >
> > ~ David Smiley
> > Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> > http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Atri
> Apache Concerted


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
In reply to this post by david.w.smiley@gmail.com
I added this bullet point under "Community":


Example: With SIP we would probably not have ended up with three overlapping facet/stats implementations without a migration plan :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

17. nov. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:

The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.

Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community

When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.

For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
* This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
* Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
* Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
* Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
* Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.

Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Jan, I think that is something that merits its own mail thread or jira for broader community participation.

On Mon, 18 Nov, 2019, 5:19 AM Jan Høydahl, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added this bullet point under "Community":


Example: With SIP we would probably not have ended up with three overlapping facet/stats implementations without a migration plan :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

17. nov. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:

The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.

Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community

When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.

For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
* This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
* Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
* Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
* Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
* Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.

Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
This particular committer's meeting has a particular subject/theme.  So as Erick indicated, while all committers are invited, I think if you're not interested in the subject then I'm sure you can find a better use of your time.  The "Solr Implementation Proposal" could fit in I suppose, but not Gradle (sorry Erick).

Lets have another committer meeting in the near future too to discuss whatever Gradle and whatever.  I look forward to having more opportunities to collaborate with more direct synchronous conversation.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jan, I think that is something that merits its own mail thread or jira for broader community participation.

On Mon, 18 Nov, 2019, 5:19 AM Jan Høydahl, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added this bullet point under "Community":


Example: With SIP we would probably not have ended up with three overlapping facet/stats implementations without a migration plan :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

17. nov. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:

The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.

Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community

When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.

For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
* This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
* Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
* Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
* Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
* Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.

Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
I view Jörn’s SIP proposal as a way for tighter gate keeping of future major changes, helping maintain hard fought stability and speed.

Jan Høydahl

18. nov. 2019 kl. 06:26 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:


This particular committer's meeting has a particular subject/theme.  So as Erick indicated, while all committers are invited, I think if you're not interested in the subject then I'm sure you can find a better use of your time.  The "Solr Implementation Proposal" could fit in I suppose, but not Gradle (sorry Erick).

Lets have another committer meeting in the near future too to discuss whatever Gradle and whatever.  I look forward to having more opportunities to collaborate with more direct synchronous conversation.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jan, I think that is something that merits its own mail thread or jira for broader community participation.

On Mon, 18 Nov, 2019, 5:19 AM Jan Høydahl, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added this bullet point under "Community":


Example: With SIP we would probably not have ended up with three overlapping facet/stats implementations without a migration plan :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

17. nov. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:

The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.

Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community

When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.

For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
* This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
* Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
* Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
* Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
* Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.

Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Mike Drob-3
What's the medium for this? Is somebody going to make a webex/zoom/meet/whatever link? I'd like to make sure I have the right tools installed and will do my best to join from airport wifi.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 2:49 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
I view Jörn’s SIP proposal as a way for tighter gate keeping of future major changes, helping maintain hard fought stability and speed.

Jan Høydahl

18. nov. 2019 kl. 06:26 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:


This particular committer's meeting has a particular subject/theme.  So as Erick indicated, while all committers are invited, I think if you're not interested in the subject then I'm sure you can find a better use of your time.  The "Solr Implementation Proposal" could fit in I suppose, but not Gradle (sorry Erick).

Lets have another committer meeting in the near future too to discuss whatever Gradle and whatever.  I look forward to having more opportunities to collaborate with more direct synchronous conversation.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jan, I think that is something that merits its own mail thread or jira for broader community participation.

On Mon, 18 Nov, 2019, 5:19 AM Jan Høydahl, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added this bullet point under "Community":


Example: With SIP we would probably not have ended up with three overlapping facet/stats implementations without a migration plan :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

17. nov. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:

The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.

Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community

When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.

For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
* This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
* Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
* Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
* Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
* Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.

Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Google Hangout.  (see my first email of this thread)

I'll create/send the invite shortly.  It'll be for 1.5 hours, though I understand not everyone can attend for that long.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:05 AM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
What's the medium for this? Is somebody going to make a webex/zoom/meet/whatever link? I'd like to make sure I have the right tools installed and will do my best to join from airport wifi.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 2:49 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
I view Jörn’s SIP proposal as a way for tighter gate keeping of future major changes, helping maintain hard fought stability and speed.

Jan Høydahl

18. nov. 2019 kl. 06:26 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:


This particular committer's meeting has a particular subject/theme.  So as Erick indicated, while all committers are invited, I think if you're not interested in the subject then I'm sure you can find a better use of your time.  The "Solr Implementation Proposal" could fit in I suppose, but not Gradle (sorry Erick).

Lets have another committer meeting in the near future too to discuss whatever Gradle and whatever.  I look forward to having more opportunities to collaborate with more direct synchronous conversation.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jan, I think that is something that merits its own mail thread or jira for broader community participation.

On Mon, 18 Nov, 2019, 5:19 AM Jan Høydahl, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added this bullet point under "Community":


Example: With SIP we would probably not have ended up with three overlapping facet/stats implementations without a migration plan :)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

17. nov. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:

The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.

Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community

When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.

For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
* This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
* Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
* Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
* Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
* Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.

Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Erick Erickson
In reply to this post by Mike Drob-3
No problem in deferring the Gradle discussion. I’m getting into it a little deeper so I’ll know more about how close it is to prime-time as time passes..

> On Nov 18, 2019, at 11:04 AM, Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What's the medium for this? Is somebody going to make a webex/zoom/meet/whatever link? I'd like to make sure I have the right tools installed and will do my best to join from airport wifi.
>
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 2:49 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I view Jörn’s SIP proposal as a way for tighter gate keeping of future major changes, helping maintain hard fought stability and speed.
>
> Jan Høydahl
>
>> 18. nov. 2019 kl. 06:26 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> 
>> This particular committer's meeting has a particular subject/theme.  So as Erick indicated, while all committers are invited, I think if you're not interested in the subject then I'm sure you can find a better use of your time.  The "Solr Implementation Proposal" could fit in I suppose, but not Gradle (sorry Erick).
>>
>> Lets have another committer meeting in the near future too to discuss whatever Gradle and whatever.  I look forward to having more opportunities to collaborate with more direct synchronous conversation.
>>
>> ~ David Smiley
>> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Jan, I think that is something that merits its own mail thread or jira for broader community participation.
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Nov, 2019, 5:19 AM Jan Høydahl, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I added this bullet point under "Community":
>>
>> • Should we adopt a formal decision process for proposing major changes/APIs to Solr, aka "Solr Implementation Proposal (SIP)"?
>> • See proposal from Jörn Franke in dev@ referring to KIP and FLIP
>>
>> Example: With SIP we would probably not have ended up with three overlapping facet/stats implementations without a migration plan :)
>>
>> --
>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>>
>>> 17. nov. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
>>> The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.
>>>
>>> ~ David Smiley
>>> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.
>>>
>>> Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community
>>>
>>> When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.
>>>
>>> For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
>>> * This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
>>> * Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
>>> * Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
>>> * Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
>>> * Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.
>>>
>>> Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> ~ David Smiley
>>> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
The meeting notes are now appended to the meeting agenda page:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health
I'll paste that part here for convenience but it's formatted nicer online:

Meeting Notes

Attended by: Andrzej Bialecki, Anshum Gupta, Cassandra Targett, Chris Hostetter, David Smiley, Erick Erickson, Gus Heck, Ishan Chattopadhyaya, Jan Hoydahl, Jason Gerlowski, Mike D. (Apple), Noble Paul, Shawn Heisey, Scott Blum, Tomas F. Lobbe, Yonik Seeley

Duration: 95 minutes.

Mark’s WIP Code

We heard from Thomas, Anshum, and Mike D. (Mark Miller’s colleagues.) who spoke with Mark at length and have his work in progress.

  • Mark shared a large code dump with his colleagues.
  • He’s not comfortable sharing it in this state as it’s too work-in-progress.  His colleagues are going to respect this and not simply share it as-is.
  • His colleagues are actively working together on teasing out separate improvements that will each get their own JIRA issue and code.  This is hard work and it will occur rather slowly over time (probably more than a month). And when each issue is filed with code, it will usually be WIP.  Rarely will it be something immediately committable.

Apache Curator

Migrating to use Curator is a great thing for many reasons (see agenda) including performance, though it’s not a singular solution for any/most SolrCloud problems.  Probably no draw-backs but it’s work. Changing this (or many SolrCloud internals for that matter) cause tests to break (Mark said), and it’ll take time to fix such tests. 

Overseer

  • It “clings to leadership” much more than it should.
  • SolrCloud over-uses the Overseer for too many functions that could be done without it.  We’ll probably always want an Overseer though.

Service Protection

Solr doesn’t have much service protection.  If you create thousands of collections, it’ll lock up and become inoperable.  Scott reported that If you boot up a 100+ node cluster, SolrCloud won’t get to a happy state; currently you need to start them gradually.  A well-written service won’t lock-up; it will make the client wait and/or give the client an error. The autoscaling framework is supposed to help; it’s a start and AB is working on that somewhat.  It’s probably not the only answer here.

Benchmarks

Ishan is working on addressing the need for continuously running benchmarks [SOLR-13933].  Having such benchmarks is rather foundational for the theme of performance improvements. And that, perhaps surprisingly, helps us achieve stability.

Tests

Mark believes in tightly limiting test times that shouldn’t take long.  He used this while working on his improvements. Smiley suspects this approach may only be useful in local dev but not in C.I. where virtual overloaded machines cold be quite slow.  Furthermore, he believes the objective there can be addressed better via benchmarks.

Logging

Much was said but unclear what action to take here; it’s a bike-shed topic.  Separate concerns depending on the audience -- production users or us developers?  Hoss reminded us of the LogLevel annotation and suggested it’d be neat if the level could be automatically set to debug based on the package of the test.

Tech Debt

The overarching theme of what Mark raised is perhaps tech debt.  Some miscellaneous things to add here: We should spend more effort removing old things (Smiley cares about this).  And for lots of functionality to continue to maintain, we hope the plugin system would lead to a future where Solr needn’t absorb everything or needn’t be official contribs.

Code Reviews

We want to get reviews, even extremely superficial reviews that might not look at the code but do look at the description and comments said about the state of the code.  Apparently ASF “RTC” policy suggests 3 binding votes are required, which is of course an extremely high bar and not paletable. Even without formally changing, we’d like to try out a 6 month period of behaving this way for all but the most trivial of changes.  Smiley takes an action item to make a specific proposal soon.

Major Change Proposals

See Kafka “KIP” as an example.  This interests us but it’s very unfamiliar to us.  We want to try it out. Perhaps SOLR-13951 might be worth experimenting with this.  Perhaps a Confluence page is the right place to put the text? Issue argued Google Docs is more collaborative, e.g. inline commenting. Hoss argued Confluence has this to, but might need to be enabled.  Today, without a major change proposal mechanism, some JIRA issues are onerous to decipher. Irrespective of this, Hoss advocated we continously update our JIRA issue descriptions to be useful during the course of the issue, especially at conclusion.

Documentation

We agreed we need several layers of docs:  Javadocs, Developer Guide, User Guide. Javadocs is clearly in the code and we want more of them!  Developer Guide is currently unknown wether we prefer Confluence or use asciidoc/markdown in a dedicated directory in our code repo.

Closing Remarks

We really liked meeting to discuss these matters.  Gus and Jan proposed doing this quarterly timed to occur near when the ASF board reports are due so that we can discuss anything to add.

Action items

  • Mark's colleagues to introduce Mark's code piece by piece into new JIRA issues over time
  • Ishan to introduce a periodic benchmark system
  • Noble to try out a "Solr Improvement Proposal" or some-such in a new initiative pertaining to ZK / clusterstate matters.
  • David to propose a code review proposal to discuss on the dev list
  • David to organize the next meeting near March 1st (before ASF board report being due that month)


On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:41 AM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
No problem in deferring the Gradle discussion. I’m getting into it a little deeper so I’ll know more about how close it is to prime-time as time passes..

> On Nov 18, 2019, at 11:04 AM, Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What's the medium for this? Is somebody going to make a webex/zoom/meet/whatever link? I'd like to make sure I have the right tools installed and will do my best to join from airport wifi.
>
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 2:49 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I view Jörn’s SIP proposal as a way for tighter gate keeping of future major changes, helping maintain hard fought stability and speed.
>
> Jan Høydahl
>
>> 18. nov. 2019 kl. 06:26 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> 
>> This particular committer's meeting has a particular subject/theme.  So as Erick indicated, while all committers are invited, I think if you're not interested in the subject then I'm sure you can find a better use of your time.  The "Solr Implementation Proposal" could fit in I suppose, but not Gradle (sorry Erick).
>>
>> Lets have another committer meeting in the near future too to discuss whatever Gradle and whatever.  I look forward to having more opportunities to collaborate with more direct synchronous conversation.
>>
>> ~ David Smiley
>> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Jan, I think that is something that merits its own mail thread or jira for broader community participation.
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Nov, 2019, 5:19 AM Jan Høydahl, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I added this bullet point under "Community":
>>
>>      • Should we adopt a formal decision process for proposing major changes/APIs to Solr, aka "Solr Implementation Proposal (SIP)"?
>>              • See proposal from Jörn Franke in dev@ referring to KIP and FLIP
>>
>> Example: With SIP we would probably not have ended up with three overlapping facet/stats implementations without a migration plan :)
>>
>> --
>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>>
>>> 17. nov. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev David Smiley <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> The meeting will be held on Wednesday at 11am PST (2pm EST).  I'll send a calendar invite tomorrow to those that used the Doodle poll.
>>> The agenda is here:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/2019-11+Meeting+on+SolrCloud+and+project+health   Edit it if you wish.  If you can't (e.g. you are not a committer), then maybe reply here to offer a suggestion.
>>>
>>> ~ David Smiley
>>> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am proposing a virtual "Solr committer meeting" next week to discuss the concerns and ideas Mark Miller has raised recently.  The scope of conversation of this one is not the other wonderful things people are working on (e.g. new plugins architecture), though I would *love* to have future virtual committer meetings that are open-ended to discuss all manner of things on our minds.
>>>
>>> Why?  (A) I felt the committer meeting at Activate this year was fantastically productive (B) I love opportunities to see/hear from my awesome virtual colleagues (C) Mark raised issues of grave concern to our community
>>>
>>> When exactly is this?:  I'm using a "Doodle poll" to determine an optimal time slot.  For the link to the poll, go to the ASF Slack, #solr-dev channel, and you will see it.  You could also email me directly for it.
>>>
>>> For this virtual committer meeting and future ones:
>>> * This is in the spirit of committer meetings co-located with conferences.  I recall that ASF policy says that no "decisions" can be made in such a venue.  We make decisions on this dev list and indirectly via JIRA out in the open and with the opportunity for anyone to comment.
>>> * Who:  Committer-only or by invitation
>>> * Video chat with option of audio dial-in.  This time I will use Google Hangout.
>>> * Recorded for those invited only.  I'll dispose of the recording a week after.  The intention is for those who cannot be there due to a scheduling conflict to see/hear what was said.  I have the ability to do this recording via Salesforce's G-Suite subscription.
>>> * Published notes:  I (or someone) will take written meeting notes that are ultimately published for anyone to see (not restricted to those invited).  They will be transmitted to the dev list.
>>>
>>> Thanks everyone.  I hope we do more of these!  And I hope non-committers don't feel slighted; the published notes is a great time to make your voice heard here!  I'm open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> ~ David Smiley
>>> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

Shawn Heisey-2
On 11/21/2019 12:12 PM, David Smiley wrote:
> *Attended by*: Andrzej Bialecki, Anshum Gupta, Cassandra Targett, Chris
> Hostetter, David Smiley, Erick Erickson, Gus Heck, Ishan Chattopadhyaya,
> Jan Hoydahl, Jason Gerlowski, Mike D. (Apple), Noble Paul, Shawn Heisey,
> Scott Blum, Tomas F. Lobbe, Yonik Seeley

Thank you for putting that together.

I would like to try and understand the SolrCloud code that Mark is most
worried about, which I believe is its interaction with ZooKeeper.  I
know that it could take a really long time to grasp everything.  I am
hoping that there are a few classes that can serve as an entry point
into an effective beginning of that journey.

Thanks,
Shawn

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Propose Solr committer meeting next week

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Well... you might look at Overseer.java.   If you recall, we talked about ways of using the Overseer less.  But this shows what it's doing today, which is a lot.
Perhaps you might prefer learning about Apache Curator and then look through our use of ZooKeeper.  Our use of ZK is sometimes direct and sometimes through some home-made utilities like SolrZkClient and perhaps some related things.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer


On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 5:47 PM Shawn Heisey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/21/2019 12:12 PM, David Smiley wrote:
> *Attended by*: Andrzej Bialecki, Anshum Gupta, Cassandra Targett, Chris
> Hostetter, David Smiley, Erick Erickson, Gus Heck, Ishan Chattopadhyaya,
> Jan Hoydahl, Jason Gerlowski, Mike D. (Apple), Noble Paul, Shawn Heisey,
> Scott Blum, Tomas F. Lobbe, Yonik Seeley

Thank you for putting that together.

I would like to try and understand the SolrCloud code that Mark is most
worried about, which I believe is its interaction with ZooKeeper.  I
know that it could take a really long time to grasp everything.  I am
hoping that there are a few classes that can serve as an entry point
into an effective beginning of that journey.

Thanks,
Shawn

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]