Pushing code to master

deansg
Hello everyone,
I know Solr only recently moved to using GIT rather than SVN, but currently the git committing process instructions are a bit unclear about how to actually push code into the master branch.
Trying to push code into the branch requires a username and password but nowhere in the "How to contribute" or the "Git committing process" guides does it say where to sign up or who exactly has the permission to perform a push.
How should I proceed if I want to contribute my small patch of code? There is already a Jira issue with an attached patch file for my small change.
Thank you!

Re: Pushing code to master

Malcolm Upayavira Holmes

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 07:19 PM, Dean Gurvitz wrote:
Hello everyone,
I know Solr only recently moved to using GIT rather than SVN, but currently the git committing process instructions are a bit unclear about how to actually push code into the master branch.
Trying to push code into the branch requires a username and password but nowhere in the "How to contribute" or the "Git committing process" guides does it say where to sign up or who exactly has the permission to perform a push.
How should I proceed if I want to contribute my small patch of code? There is already a Jira issue with an attached patch file for my small change.
Thank you!

You can use the Github mirror (apache/lucene-solr) to make your changes, and then make a PR against apache/lucene-solr. If you mention the ticket in the PR, it should show both in the JIRA comments, and on this mailing list. Hopefully your patch is interesting to a committer, who will pick it up and, perhaps after discussion, merge it into the main Apache Git repo for Lucene/Solr.

Upayavira

Re: Pushing code to master

deansg
Are there any advantages to making a GitHub pull request over simply opening an issue in Jira with an attached .patch file?? Both basically notify the committers about a suggested change and send an email to the mailing list.
If only select members can perform the actual push to a branch I don't think a GitHub PR adds anything to an organized issue in Jira.

(I am sending my thoughts to the entire mailing list only because I think this should maybe be made clearer in the HowToContribute guide)

Re: Pushing code to master

Shawn Heisey-2
On 2/29/2016 12:56 PM, Dean Gurvitz wrote:
> Are there any advantages to making a GitHub pull request over simply
> opening an issue in Jira with an attached .patch file?? Both basically
> notify the committers about a suggested change and send an email to
> the mailing list.
> If only select members can perform the actual push to a branch I don't
> think a GitHub PR adds anything to an organized issue in Jira.

Here's some clarification for anyone who might want to know:

Only committers on the Apache Lucene/Solr project can make changes to
the repo.

Until recently, the official source repository for the project was
contained in Apache's subversion repository.  We have completed a switch
to git.

If you are not familiar with github or have no interest in using it, you
can provide a patch directly via an issue in Jira.  Most likely that
patch will be generated with a "git diff" command.

The github repository is a mirror of the official Apache git
repository.  It used to be a mirror of the subversion repository.  This
exists so that people who are familiar with github are able to use that
website like they would for projects whose official residence is
github.  We do ask that people open an issue in Jira, even if they use
github to make a pull request.

Thanks,
Shawn