Query on stemming

Shubham Goswami
Hello Community

I am using a filter class EnglishPorterFilterFactory for stemming filter
but because of usage of this class, my solr is not able reload the schema.

Can somebody please let me know what exactly this class does and how can i
implement stemming ?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
Kind Regards,
Shubham Goswami
email: *[hidden email]*
*www.hotwax.co <http://www.hotwax.co/>*

Re: Query on stemming

Jörn Franke
How did you define the field type? Probably you have syntax errors there. I recommend to use the schema rest api instead of schema xml as it will give you better feedback on what is wrong and it allows you also better versioning of the schema in a source code repository.

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/schema-api.html

> Am 01.11.2019 um 06:41 schrieb Shubham Goswami <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello Community
>
> I am using a filter class EnglishPorterFilterFactory for stemming filter
> but because of usage of this class, my solr is not able reload the schema.
>
> Can somebody please let me know what exactly this class does and how can i
> implement stemming ?
> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Shubham Goswami
> Enterprise Software Engineer
> mobile: +91 7803886288
> email: *[hidden email]*
> *www.hotwax.co <http://www.hotwax.co/>*

Re: Query on stemming

Shubham Goswami
Hi Jorn

Thanks for your response.
Following is my field type definition and i am getting the
ClassNotFoundException while indexing after making the changes.
</fieldType>
  <fieldType name="text_general" class="solr.TextField"
positionIncrementGap="100" multiValued="true">
    <analyzer type="index">
      <tokenizer class="solr.LowerCaseTokenizerFactory" />
      <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" words="stopwords.txt"
ignoreCase="true"/>
      <filter class="solr.EnglishPorterFilterFactory"/>
    </analyzer>
    <analyzer type="query">
      <tokenizer class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
      <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" words="stopwords.txt"
ignoreCase="true"/>
      <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory" expand="true"
ignoreCase="true" synonyms="synonyms.txt"/>
     </analyzer>
  </fieldType>

email: *[hidden email]*
*www.hotwax.co <http://www.hotwax.co/>*

Re: Query on stemming

Jörn Franke
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/filter-descriptions.html

It looks to me that you write the name of the class wrongly

> Am 01.11.2019 um 11:12 schrieb Shubham Goswami <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Jorn
>
> Thanks for your response.
> Following is my field type definition and i am getting the
> ClassNotFoundException while indexing after making the changes.
> </fieldType>
>  <fieldType name="text_general" class="solr.TextField"
> positionIncrementGap="100" multiValued="true">
>    <analyzer type="index">
>      <tokenizer class="solr.LowerCaseTokenizerFactory" />
>      <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" words="stopwords.txt"
> ignoreCase="true"/>
>      <filter class="solr.LowerCaseFilterFactory"/>
>      <filter class="solr.EnglishPorterFilterFactory"/>
>    </analyzer>
>    <analyzer type="query">
>      <tokenizer class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
>      <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" words="stopwords.txt"
> ignoreCase="true"/>
>      <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory" expand="true"
> ignoreCase="true" synonyms="synonyms.txt"/>
>      <filter class="solr.LowerCaseFilterFactory"/>
>     </analyzer>
>  </fieldType>
>
>> On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM Jörn Franke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How did you define the field type? Probably you have syntax errors there.
>> I recommend to use the schema rest api instead of schema xml as it will
>> give you better feedback on what is wrong and it allows you also better
>> versioning of the schema in a source code repository.
>>
>> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/schema-api.html
>>

>>> Am 01.11.2019 um 06:41 schrieb Shubham Goswami <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hello Community
>>>
>>> I am using a filter class EnglishPorterFilterFactory for stemming filter
>>> but because of usage of this class, my solr is not able reload the
>> schema.
>>>
>>> Can somebody please let me know what exactly this class does and how can
>>> implement stemming ?
>>> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Shubham Goswami
>>> Enterprise Software Engineer
>>> mobile: +91 7803886288
>>> email: *[hidden email]*
>>> *www.hotwax.co <http://www.hotwax.co/>*
>>

> --
> Kind Regards,
> Shubham Goswami
> Enterprise Software Engineer
> mobile: +91 7803886288
> email: *[hidden email]*
> *www.hotwax.co <http://www.hotwax.co/>*

Re: Query on stemming

Paras Lehana
Hi Shubham,

 I am getting the ClassNotFoundException while indexing after making the
> changes.

   - Please describe the error properly with full details. We need to see
   what is exactly causing ClassNotFoundException in the trace.
   - This seems to be a Java syntax error due to
   *EnglishPorterFilterFactory**.java* being not available. Please confirm
   if it's available in analysis directory.
   - Also, what Solr version are you using? *EnglishPorterFilterFactory* is
   already *deprecated* and I suggest you to use
   *SnowballPorterFilterFactory* with *language="English" *instead. You
   need to add the stemming in query time analysis chain too, otherwise, query
   as "bags" will not match with "bag" (indexed).

Hope this helps.

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 at 15:42, Shubham Goswami <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Jorn
>
> Thanks for your response.
> Following is my field type definition and i am getting the
> ClassNotFoundException while indexing after making the changes.
> </fieldType>
>   <fieldType name="text_general" class="solr.TextField"
> positionIncrementGap="100" multiValued="true">
>     <analyzer type="index">
>       <tokenizer class="solr.LowerCaseTokenizerFactory" />
>       <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" words="stopwords.txt"
> ignoreCase="true"/>
>       <filter class="solr.LowerCaseFilterFactory"/>
>       <filter class="solr.EnglishPorterFilterFactory"/>
>     </analyzer>
>     <analyzer type="query">
>       <tokenizer class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
>       <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" words="stopwords.txt"
> ignoreCase="true"/>
>       <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory" expand="true"
> ignoreCase="true" synonyms="synonyms.txt"/>
>       <filter class="solr.LowerCaseFilterFactory"/>
>      </analyzer>
>   </fieldType>
>
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM Jörn Franke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How did you define the field type? Probably you have syntax errors there.
> > I recommend to use the schema rest api instead of schema xml as it will
> > give you better feedback on what is wrong and it allows you also better
> > versioning of the schema in a source code repository.
> >
> > https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/schema-api.html
> >

> > > Am 01.11.2019 um 06:41 schrieb Shubham Goswami <
> > [hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > Hello Community
> > >
> > > I am using a filter class EnglishPorterFilterFactory for stemming
> filter
> > > but because of usage of this class, my solr is not able reload the
> > schema.
> > >
> > > Can somebody please let me know what exactly this class does and how
> can
> > > implement stemming ?
> > > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kind Regards,
> > > Shubham Goswami
> > > Enterprise Software Engineer
> > > mobile: +91 7803886288
> > > email: *[hidden email]*
> > > *www.hotwax.co <http://www.hotwax.co/>*
> >

> --
> Kind Regards,
> Shubham Goswami
> Enterprise Software Engineer
> mobile: +91 7803886288
> email: *[hidden email]*
> *www.hotwax.co <http://www.hotwax.co/>*

*Paras Lehana* [65871]
Development Engineer, Auto-Suggest,
IndiaMART Intermesh Ltd.

8th Floor, Tower A, Advant-Navis Business Park, Sector 142,
Noida, UP, IN - 201303

Mob.: +91-9560911996
Work: 01203916600 | Extn:  *8173*

IMPORTANT:
NEVER share your IndiaMART OTP/ Password with anyone.

Re: Query on stemming

Paras Lehana
Hi Jorn,

It looks to me that you write the name of the class wrongly.

*EnglishPorterFilterFactory* did exist in older Solr versions
<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/3_6_0/org/apache/solr/analysis/EnglishPorterFilterFactory.html>.
Since it was deprecated long ago, I think that's the reason it's not
mentioned in Filters Descriptions
<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/filter-descriptions.html>. See,
even Ref Guide 7.7 mentions
<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_7/analyzers.html> it in one of its
examples (maybe because the material was just copied).

IMPORTANT:
NEVER share your IndiaMART OTP/ Password with anyone.

Re: Query on stemming

Jörn Franke
Ok yes but I assumed that he is referring to a newer version as no version was mentioned

> Am 01.11.2019 um 12:43 schrieb Paras Lehana <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Jorn,
>
> It looks to me that you write the name of the class wrongly.
>

> *EnglishPorterFilterFactory* did exist in older Solr versions
> <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/3_6_0/org/apache/solr/analysis/EnglishPorterFilterFactory.html>.
> Since it was deprecated long ago, I think that's the reason it's not
> mentioned in Filters Descriptions
> <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/filter-descriptions.html>. See,
> even Ref Guide 7.7 mentions
> <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_7/analyzers.html> it in one of its
> examples (maybe because the material was just copied).
>
>> On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 at 17:06, Jörn Franke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_2/filter-descriptions.html
>>
>> It looks to me that you write the name of the class wrongly
>>
>>> Am 01.11.2019 um 11:12 schrieb Shubham Goswami <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hi Jorn
>>>
>>> Thanks for your response.
>>> Following is my field type definition and i am getting the
>>> ClassNotFoundException while indexing after making the changes.
>>> </fieldType>
>>> <fieldType name="text_general" class="solr.TextField"
>>> positionIncrementGap="100" multiValued="true">
>>>   <analyzer type="index">
>>>     <tokenizer class="solr.LowerCaseTokenizerFactory" />
>>>     <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" words="stopwords.txt"
>>> ignoreCase="true"/>
>>>     <filter class="solr.LowerCaseFilterFactory"/>
>>>     <filter class="solr.EnglishPorterFilterFactory"/>
>>>   </analyzer>
>>>   <analyzer type="query">
>>>     <tokenizer class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
>>>     <filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" words="stopwords.txt"
>>> ignoreCase="true"/>
>>>     <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory" expand="true"
>>> ignoreCase="true" synonyms="synonyms.txt"/>
>>>     <filter class="solr.LowerCaseFilterFactory"/>
>>>    </analyzer>
>>> </fieldType>

>> there.

>> filter

>> can

>>> --
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Shubham Goswami
>>> Enterprise Software Engineer
>>> mobile: +91 7803886288
>>> email: *[hidden email]*
>>> *www.hotwax.co <http://www.hotwax.co/>*

> Regards,
>
> *Paras Lehana* [65871]
> Development Engineer, Auto-Suggest,
> IndiaMART Intermesh Ltd.
>
> 8th Floor, Tower A, Advant-Navis Business Park, Sector 142,
> Noida, UP, IN - 201303
>
> Mob.: +91-9560911996
> Work: 01203916600 | Extn:  *8173*

> IMPORTANT:
> NEVER share your IndiaMART OTP/ Password with anyone.

Re: Query on stemming

Paras Lehana
Hey Jorn,

Ok yes but I assumed that he is referring to a newer version as no version
> was mentioned.

You are right, this is probably the case! Shubham, have you just upgraded
or is it the first time you are using the filter? Switch to Snowball and
everything will be sorted.

IMPORTANT:
NEVER share your IndiaMART OTP/ Password with anyone.

Re: Query on stemming

Shubham Goswami
Hi Paras/Jorn

Thanks for your support. I am using Solr version 7.5.
I tried with SnowballPorterFilterFactory class and its working fine.
Thanks for your help.