Questions about Blacklight & Solr

Julian, Isabelle
Hi,

I'm in the process of evaluating Blacklight as an open-source opac. I'm
looking for some information. Can someone answer the following
questions:

- Can it display in multiple languages?
- Does it provide ranking?
- Does it support linking to OpenURL link resolver?
- Does it support Boolean, proximity, range and fuzzy searching?
- Can user use the interface while new records are being
input/indexed?
- Does it provide links for linking fields (MARC 856)

Thank you!

Isabelle Julian

Re: Questions about Blacklight & Solr

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Hi Isabelle,

I think you have posted on the wrong mailing list. This list is devoted to
Solr. You may be able to find more information at the BlackLight mailing
lists.

http://blacklight.rubyforge.org/

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Julian, Isabelle <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of evaluating Blacklight as an open-source opac. I'm
> looking for some information. Can someone answer the following
> questions:
>
> -       Can it display in multiple languages?
> -       Does it provide ranking?
> -       Does it support linking to OpenURL link resolver?
> -       Does it support Boolean, proximity, range and fuzzy searching?
> -       Can user use the interface while new records are being
> input/indexed?
> -       Does it provide links for linking fields (MARC 856)
>
> Thank you!
>
> Isabelle Julian

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Questions about Blacklight & Solr

Bess Sadler
Hi, Isabelle.

These questions are probably better asked on the blacklight mailing
list, which you can join here: https://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=5235

In short, though, the answers to all your questions are yes, except
for OpenURL. There's no reason it couldn't handle OpenURL, we just
haven't done it yet. I'd be very happy to talk to you more about
Blacklight, and I'm happy to say we have a new and vastly improved
release coming out in the next couple of weeks.

See you on the Blacklight mailing list!

Bess Sadler

On Sep 22, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Julian, Isabelle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of evaluating Blacklight as an open-source opac.
> I'm
> looking for some information. Can someone answer the following
> questions:
>
> -       Can it display in multiple languages?
> -       Does it provide ranking?
> -       Does it support linking to OpenURL link resolver?
> -       Does it support Boolean, proximity, range and fuzzy searching?
> -       Can user use the interface while new records are being
> input/indexed?
> -       Does it provide links for linking fields (MARC 856)
>
> Thank you!
>
> Isabelle Julian

Elizabeth (Bess) Sadler
Research and Development Librarian
Digital Scholarship Services
Box 400129
Alderman Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904

[hidden email]
(434) 243-2305

RE: Questions about Blacklight & Solr

Julian, Isabelle
Hi,

Thank you for replying.

Will OpenURL be handled with the new release?

Is there a list of new and improved features of the new release
available somewhere?

Thanks.