RE: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

George Aroush
Hi folks,

Sorry for reposting this question (see original email below) and this time
to both mailing list.

If anyone can tell me what is the plan for Lucene 2.0.1 release, I would
appreciate it very much.

As some of you may know, I am the porter of Lucene to Lucene.Net knowing
when 2.0.1 will be released will help me plan things out.

Regards,

-- George Aroush

Re: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

Otis Gospodnetic-2
I'd have to check CHANGES.txt, but I don't think that many bugs have been fixed and not that many new features added that anyone is itching for a new release.

Otis

What's the plan for Lucene 2.0.1 release date?

Thanks!

-- George Aroush

Re: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

Raghavendra Prabhu
I would very much like to see the .NET port in line with lucene java
This would result in index compatibility and equivalent features as that
lucene provides

George - Cheers for the continuous effort to keep lucene.net in line with
Lucene

Regards,
Prabhu

On 10/14/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd have to check CHANGES.txt, but I don't think that many bugs have been
> fixed and not that many new features added that anyone is itching for a new
> release.
>
> Otis

RE: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

George Aroush
Thanks for the reply Otis.

I looked at the CHANGES.txt file and saw quit a bit of changes.  For my port
from Java to C#, I can't rely on the trunk code as it is (to my knowledge)
changes on a monthly basic if not weekly.  What I need is an official
release so that I can use it as the port point.

Regards,

-- George Aroush

What's the plan for Lucene 2.0.1 release date?

Thanks!

-- George Aroush

RE: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

steven_parkes
I think the idea is that 2.0.1 would be a patch-fix release from the
branch created at 2.0 release. This release would incorporate only
back-ported high-impact patches, where "high-impact" is defined by the
community. Certainly security vulnerabilities would be included. As Otis
said, to date, nobody seems to have raised any issues to that level.

2.1 will include all the patches and new features that have been
committed since 2.0; there've been a number of these. But releases are
done pretty ad hoc at this point and there hasn't been anyone that has
expressed strong interest in (i.e., lobbied for) a release.

There was a little discussion on this topic at the ApacheCon BOF. For a
number of reasons, the Lucene Java trunk has been kept "pretty stable",
with a relatively few number of large changes. This makes it relatively
safe for people to grab a snapshot of the trunk with less concern about
latent bugs. I don't know how many people/projects are doing this rather
than sticking with 2.0.

Keeping the trunk stable doesn't provide an obvious place to start
working on things that people may want to work on and share but at the
same time want to allow to percolate for a while. I think the concern is
that if we start doing this stuff on trunk now, people that are
accustomed to snapping from the trunk might be surprised, and not in a
good way. Nobody wants that.

So releases can be about both what people want (getting features out)
and allowing a bit more instability in trunk. That is, if the community
wants that.

Food for thought and/or discussion?

What's the plan for Lucene 2.0.1 release date?

Thanks!

-- George Aroush

Re: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

Peter Keegan
>This makes it relatively safe for people to grab a snapshot of the trunk
with less >concern about latent bugs.

>I think the concern is that if we start doing this stuff on trunk now,
people that are >accustomed to snapping from the trunk might be surprised,
and not in a good way.

+1 on this. There are some great performance improvements in 2.0.1

Peter

On 10/17/06, Steven Parkes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think the idea is that 2.0.1 would be a patch-fix release from the
> branch created at 2.0 release. This release would incorporate only
> back-ported high-impact patches, where "high-impact" is defined by the
> community. Certainly security vulnerabilities would be included. As Otis
> said, to date, nobody seems to have raised any issues to that level.
>
> 2.1 will include all the patches and new features that have been
> committed since 2.0; there've been a number of these. But releases are
> done pretty ad hoc at this point and there hasn't been anyone that has
> expressed strong interest in (i.e., lobbied for) a release.
>
> There was a little discussion on this topic at the ApacheCon BOF. For a
> number of reasons, the Lucene Java trunk has been kept "pretty stable",
> with a relatively few number of large changes. This makes it relatively
> safe for people to grab a snapshot of the trunk with less concern about
> latent bugs. I don't know how many people/projects are doing this rather
> than sticking with 2.0.
>
> Keeping the trunk stable doesn't provide an obvious place to start
> working on things that people may want to work on and share but at the
> same time want to allow to percolate for a while. I think the concern is
> that if we start doing this stuff on trunk now, people that are
> accustomed to snapping from the trunk might be surprised, and not in a
> good way. Nobody wants that.
>
> So releases can be about both what people want (getting features out)
> and allowing a bit more instability in trunk. That is, if the community
> wants that.
>
> Food for thought and/or discussion?

RE: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

George Aroush
Hi Steven and all,

(Sorry for the late response.)

This is all fine, but here is my problem with not having a way of knowing
what makes up 2.0.1.

I have ported 2.0 from Java to C#.  I used the packaged (ZIP download) of
Lucene 2.0 as my port point.  Now, it's time for me to port 2.0.1 to C#.  To
do so, I need to run a diff between 2.0 and 2.0.1 -- how do I go about doing
the diff when I don't know what makes up 2.0.1?  Can I get the list of files
that make up 2.0.1 from SVN?  If so, how?  Is what's in the trunk of Lucene
makes up 2.0.1 or 2.1?  (Sorry, I am not fluent with SVN.)

Regards,

-- George

What's the plan for Lucene 2.0.1 release date?

Thanks!

-- George Aroush

Re: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

Otis Gospodnetic-2
George,

You may want to subscribe to java-dev or just look through the java-dev archives to see how Lucene releases come about.  Let me try re-enacting it.

dev 1: What do people think about a X.Y release?
group: Sure, why not, looks like we have enough changes, some bug fixes, some performance improvements, ok, let's
dev 1: Ok, I'll make a release in the next few days....

dev 1 then does the svn branching, updating the version number in build.xml, compiling, jaring, signing, pushing to appropriate machines, etc., announces on java-dev, waits for the mirrors to get a copy of the new release, and finally announces it on java-user.

The point is that releases are not planned ahead of time, so we can never tell which files that have been modified between, say, X.Y and X.Y.Z release.  We know that only when the release is made.  In short, if you don't want to or can't port in "real-time", you have to wait for the release to be made, and then start work on your new release.

Otis

What's the plan for Lucene 2.0.1 release date?

Thanks!

-- George Aroush

Re: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

Chris Hostetter-3

: The point is that releases are not planned ahead of time, so we can
: never tell which files that have been modified between, say, X.Y and
: X.Y.Z release.  We know that only when the release is made.  In short,

that's not entirely true ... it's very easy to determine exactly what has
changed between any two releases by diffing the releases, but that can
only be done once the release is made.

typically there is a window of time in which the changes that will be
going into a release are applied to a branch specificly created for that
release, so thta people can try it out and check for last minute bugs ...
at that point you will have a reasonably high level of confidence that you
know what is going to be in that release, and you could start working on
porting then (even though the release isn't final) recording what versions
you port and using subversion to check for any bug fixes made after that.

RE: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

George Aroush
Hi Otis and all,

I am nearing to a point where I will be able to port in real-time -- and
it's something I want to achieve.  However, before doing so, my hope was to
first sync up Lucene.Net with 2.0.1.  From your email, I take it that even
for the Java folks, they can't accumulate the list of files that make up
2.0.1.  Am I right?  If so, then I will sync up Lucene.Net with what's
currently in the trunk.

Regards,

-- George

What's the plan for Lucene 2.0.1 release date?

Thanks!

-- George Aroush

Re: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

steve_rowe
George Aroush wrote:
> From your email, I take it that even for the Java folks, they can't
> accumulate the list of files that make up 2.0.1.  Am I right?

There has never been and likely will never be a 2.0.1 release.

"2.0.1", "2.1" -- these are labels for *potential* future releases.

"2.1" is much more likely to be the label used for the next release than
"2.0.1".

If you just want to get a copy of the "trunk" (the latest development
versions of files in the Subversion repository, upon which a release
will eventually be based), run the following command, all on one line
(assumes you have installed Subversion):

----
svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/ lucene-trunk
----

The above command will create a new directory named "lucene-trunk" in
the current directory and then populate it with the latest versions of
the files in the Subversion repository.

If you want to know which files have changed (added, updated, deleted)
in the trunk since the 2.0.0 release, you can run the following (all on
one line) to get a (very very long) listing of unified context diffs for
all files:

----
svn diff http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/branches/lucene_2_0
----

The above command will dump its output to the console, so to capture it
you have to redirect it to a file, e.g. "svn .... > diff.txt".  Note
that the above command does *not* require a local working copy -- you
don't have to download anything first to run it.

If you just want a list of files that have changed since the 2.0.0
release, you can run the following to get an abbreviated diff output
(all on one line):

----
svn diff --diff-cmd diff -x -q
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/branches/lucene_2_0
----

The above command will give you output that looks like:

----
contrib/swing/src/java/org/apache/lucene/swing/models/TableSearcher.java
Files
contrib/swing/src/java/org/apache/lucene/swing/models/TableSearcher.java
(.../trunk)      (revision 468016) and
contrib/swing/src/java/org/apache/lucene/swing/models/TableSearcher.java
 (.../branches/lucene_2_0)       (revision 468016) differ
contrib/swing/src/java/org/apache/lucene/swing/models/ListSearcher.java
[...]
----

To pare this down to just a list of files, you could for example pipe
the svn output to a perl one-liner, i.e. (all on one line):

----
svn diff --diff-cmd diff -x -q
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/branches/lucene_2_0 | perl
-ne 'print $1 if (/^Index: (.*)/s);'
----

The above command will give you output that looks like:

----
contrib/swing/src/java/org/apache/lucene/swing/models/TableSearcher.java
contrib/swing/src/java/org/apache/lucene/swing/models/ListSearcher.java
[...]
----

Hope it helps,
Steve

Possible memory issue?

Aigner, Thomas
Howdy all,

        I have a issue with java running out of memory after the search
has been running for a while.  We are using 1.9.1 release and I check
the indexreader's version to determine if I need to get a new searcher
for searches (so I pick up any changes to the index).  I am seeing jumps
in memory for the first search after loads to the index.  After these
jumps the memory does not come back down after a load has taken place..
more loads = more memory consumed until we eventually run out.  Is it
possible that this is a bug with lucene caching the memory from the last
search and creating memory for the next search?  Is there a way to tell
lucene to drop it's cached memory if that is the case?

        Has anyone come across this possible problem with multiple sort
fields?

Ex.  Java memory before loads hovers around 110M and about half of it
free.
        Many searches take place, memory stays relatively the same
      Then Load takes place
        Next search uses 192M memory with 80Meg free..

Re: Possible memory issue?

d rj
I would suggest checking that close() is properly called for all
IndexSearcher/Reader/Writer objects when doing adds/deletes and when
recreating IndexSearcher object.
Free memory in the JVM heap can diminish quickly if these objects aren't
properly disposed.
-drj

On 10/26/06, Aigner, Thomas < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
>         I have a issue with java running out of memory after the search
> has been running for a while.  We are using 1.9.1 release and I check
> the indexreader's version to determine if I need to get a new searcher
> for searches (so I pick up any changes to the index).  I am seeing jumps
> in memory for the first search after loads to the index.  After these
> jumps the memory does not come back down after a load has taken place..
> more loads = more memory consumed until we eventually run out.  Is it
> possible that this is a bug with lucene caching the memory from the last
> search and creating memory for the next search?  Is there a way to tell
> lucene to drop it's cached memory if that is the case?
>
>         Has anyone come across this possible problem with multiple sort
> fields?
>

> Ex.  Java memory before loads hovers around 110M and about half of it
> free.
>         Many searches take place, memory stays relatively the same
>       Then      Load takes place
>         Next search uses 192M memory with 80Meg free..

RE: Possible memory issue?

Aigner, Thomas
Thanks for the advice drj.  I do close the searcher and set it to null
before instantiating another searcher.  I believe that I am closing the
reader and writer at the correct times as well...

I would suggest checking that close() is properly called for all
IndexSearcher/Reader/Writer objects when doing adds/deletes and when
recreating IndexSearcher object.
Free memory in the JVM heap can diminish quickly if these objects aren't
properly disposed.
-drj

On 10/26/06, Aigner, Thomas < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
>         I have a issue with java running out of memory after the
search
> has been running for a while.  We are using 1.9.1 release and I check
> the indexreader's version to determine if I need to get a new searcher
> for searches (so I pick up any changes to the index).  I am seeing
jumps
> in memory for the first search after loads to the index.  After these
> jumps the memory does not come back down after a load has taken
place..
> more loads = more memory consumed until we eventually run out.  Is it
> possible that this is a bug with lucene caching the memory from the
last
> search and creating memory for the next search?  Is there a way to
tell
> lucene to drop it's cached memory if that is the case?
>
>         Has anyone come across this possible problem with multiple
sort

> fields?
>

> Ex.  Java memory before loads hovers around 110M and about half of it
> free.
>         Many searches take place, memory stays relatively the same
>       Then      Load takes place
>         Next search uses 192M memory with 80Meg free..

Re: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

Mark Diggory
We'ed primarily like to see a release of the LockFactory implementation.
   This functionality will help us better control our locking, but we
want to depend on actual releases, not interim builds/snapshots.

Any news on this now that this thread is a couple months old?

-Mark Diggory

George Aroush wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Sorry for reposting this question (see original email below) and this time
> to both mailing list.
>
> If anyone can tell me what is the plan for Lucene 2.0.1 release, I would
> appreciate it very much.
>
> As some of you may know, I am the porter of Lucene to Lucene.Net knowing
> when 2.0.1 will be released will help me plan things out.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- George Aroush

Re: Lucene 2.0.1 release date

Doug Cutting
Steven Rowe wrote:
> "2.1" is much more likely to be the label used for the next release than
> "2.0.1".

The roadmap in Jira shows 21 issues scheduled for 2.0.1.  If there is in
fact no intent to merge these into the 2.0 branch, these should probably
be retargetted for 2.1.0, and the 2.0.1 version should be removed.  In
general, folks should be able to see the state of release planning in
Jira.  No dates are set for these releases, which sounds correct.

Discussion of the roadmap should probably be on java-dev.

Doug