Re: Index partioning

John Almberg
> That wiki page is purely an idea proposal at this time, not a
> feature  of Solr (yet or perhaps ever).
>
> Erik

I found this thread in the archive...

I'm responsible for a number of ruby on rails websites, all of which
need search.  Solr seems to have everything I need, but I am
wondering what's the best way to maintain multiple indexes?

Multiple Solr instances on different ports?

Any help, much appreciated.

-- John

P.S., I don't know how up-to-date it is, but I have Erik's book on
order from Amazon... hoping that will help.

Re: Index partioning

hossman
: I found this thread in the archive...
:
: I'm responsible for a number of ruby on rails websites, all of which need
: search.  Solr seems to have everything I need, but I am wondering what's the
: best way to maintain multiple indexes?
:
: Multiple Solr instances on different ports?

having multiple indexes is a different beast from the "Index Partitioning"
topic this thread was discussing ... there's some good info on the wiki
about the various options (they each have their trade offs to consider)

        http://wiki.apache.org/solr/MultipleIndexes

Re: Index partioning

Jason Rennie-2
We do both #2 and #4 from the Wiki page.  If the schemas have a lot of
overlap and you don't foresee the need to scale to multiple machines (either
due to index size or amount of traffic), it may be best to put all the data
in a single index with different type fields (#4); this certainly minimizes
maintenance.  #1 or #2 seems like a better choice if it is likely you will
eventually need to physically separate the indexes.

Jason

--
Jason Rennie
Head of Machine Learning Technologies, StyleFeeder