Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

David Meikle
Hi,
Moving the discussion on the list.

See additional comments below.

Cheers,
Dave

2008/11/16 Jukka Zitting <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> As a meta comment, it would be better if we had this discussion on
> tika-dev@. If you agree, feel free to forward my response there.
>
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Dave Meikle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * Release Artifacts *
> > Given the situation with PDFBox I was thinking about just not releasing
> the
> > standalone version of Tika, but as there are options should I hold a
> quick
> > vote on the list for the best way to do this?
>
> Sounds good to me. I think it's good enough if you just send a summary
> of what you plan to do, i.e. a "Tika 0.2 release plan". A vote is only
> needed if people disagree and a reasonable consensus can not be
> reached through discussion.
>
> > Also, I was planning to use the release version 0.2 instead of
> > 0.2-incubating - I assume this is OK as the vote for graduation has
> passed
> > or is there another formal step that has to take place first?
>
> Yes, good point. I updated the version label in Jira accordingly.
>
> > * Web Site *
> > For the website I have been spending some time updating the pages,
> focusing
> > on the formats and then the documentation. As I will need to update the
> > whole site for the download I was wondering if I should be updating all
> the
> > references to incubator to lucene for the move? (Much the same as the
> > version number above)
> >
> > Based on the above answer that will decide my links for the downloads.
>
> I just committed some related changes, I hope I didn't conflict with
> your changes. In any case; yes, we should update the site to reflect
> that Tika is now a part of Lucene instead of the Incubator.
>
> > * Release Process *
> >
> > I was planning to take a branch for all the tweaks that are release
> > specific, tag that, build release candidate from the tag, raise vote,
> etc.
> > At the end the tag could be copied and the changes merged into head. This
> > was to avoid updating HEAD resulting in having the version number updated
> > for anyone how takes a checkout and the site updated, as I believe this
> is
> > being done as the result of a cron script in your pao account.
> >
> > Is this an OK way to do it? Was going to document the process I followed
> > somewhere so we can refine as an ongoing guide.
>
> Yeah, you'll want to drop the -SNAPSHOT from the version number only
> in the 0.2 branch.
>
> However, I don't see what 0.2 -specific changes there are that would
> then need to be merged back to the trunk. The web site is a live
> publication that should always be updated in the trunk.
>

What I was thinking about was the changes to the website to reflect the 0.2
download URLs. We won't want them "live", when the release candidate is
being voted on, and potentially a cycle of candidates taking place.


> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

Jukka Zitting
Hi,

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Dave Meikle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2008/11/16 Jukka Zitting <[hidden email]>
>> However, I don't see what 0.2 -specific changes there are that would
>> then need to be merged back to the trunk. The web site is a live
>> publication that should always be updated in the trunk.
>
> What I was thinking about was the changes to the website to reflect the 0.2
> download URLs. We won't want them "live", when the release candidate is
> being voted on, and potentially a cycle of candidates taking place.

Agreed. However, you could simply just update the download page in
trunk once the release had been approved and pushed to the download
mirrors. You can prepare those changes in a branch already in advance
if you like, though personally I've never seen the need for that as
the related changes are pretty trivial.

BR,

Jukka Zitting
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Hi Folks,

Sorry I've been out of the loop on this, but I had volunteered to be the
release manager for Tika 0.2? I appreciate Dave's zeal to get this going but
I still would kind of like to (at the very least) help?

Thanks,
 Chris



On 11/16/08 3:59 PM, "Jukka Zitting" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Dave Meikle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2008/11/16 Jukka Zitting <[hidden email]>
>>> However, I don't see what 0.2 -specific changes there are that would
>>> then need to be merged back to the trunk. The web site is a live
>>> publication that should always be updated in the trunk.
>>
>> What I was thinking about was the changes to the website to reflect the 0.2
>> download URLs. We won't want them "live", when the release candidate is
>> being voted on, and potentially a cycle of candidates taking place.
>
> Agreed. However, you could simply just update the download page in
> trunk once the release had been approved and pushed to the download
> mirrors. You can prepare those changes in a branch already in advance
> if you like, though personally I've never seen the need for that as
> the related changes are pretty trivial.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting
>

__________________________________________________________________
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cognizant Development Engineer | Architecture/Implementation Lead
EDRN Informatics Center        | Virtual Oceanographic Data Center
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory       Pasadena, CA, USA
Office: 171-266B                     Mailstop:  171-246
__________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer:  The opinions presented within are my own and do not reflect
those of either NASA, JPL, or the California Institute of Technology.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

David Meikle
Hi Chris,

2008/11/17 Mattmann, Chris A <[hidden email]>

>
> Sorry I've been out of the loop on this, but I had volunteered to be the
> release manager for Tika 0.2? I appreciate Dave's zeal to get this going
> but
> I still would kind of like to (at the very least) help?
>
>
Apologies for stepping on your toes with regards to this release. I was just
looking to pick this up as the release seemed to have stalled, so if you
would like to perform the release process I am happy to stand down. On the
other hand if you are happy for me to proceed I am happy with that too.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Cheers,
Dave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Hi Dave,

No worries at all! I appreciate you volunteering. I'm happy with you leading
the process, but I want to point out the release wasn't really stalled. I
just never got any direction as to when to move forward on pushing it out. I
think it's a community decision to push a release out, and with the in-flux
activities in moving Tika to its new graduation location, I wondered if it
would be better to call for a release after we move the infrastructure over
to Lucene. I actually still lean towards this decision, but if there is
community desire to have one last incubating Tika 0.2 release before Lucene,
then that's fine with me. I think we should probably take a vote though,
don't you think?

So, how about this as a vote. Should we release Tika 0.2 incubating as-is,
or should we defer release until we move the infrastructure over to Apache
Lucene, and then release 0.2 in the Lucene area?

[] Release Tika 0.2 within the Apache Incubator
[] Release Tika 0.2 within the Apache Lucene area

Let's leave the vote open for 72 hrs. We'll count the results and if there
is consensus to release Tika 0.2 within the Incubator, let's move forward
then. Otherwise, let's wait until the transition to Lucene is complete. Fair
enough?

Either way, I'm fine with you leading the release process. I can help though
still. Just let me know what parts you don't have time for when the time to
release comes and I will pick those up for you.

Cheers,
Chris


On 11/17/08 2:35 PM, "Dave Meikle" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> 2008/11/17 Mattmann, Chris A <[hidden email]>
>
>>
>> Sorry I've been out of the loop on this, but I had volunteered to be the
>> release manager for Tika 0.2? I appreciate Dave's zeal to get this going
>> but
>> I still would kind of like to (at the very least) help?
>>
>>
> Apologies for stepping on your toes with regards to this release. I was just
> looking to pick this up as the release seemed to have stalled, so if you
> would like to perform the release process I am happy to stand down. On the
> other hand if you are happy for me to proceed I am happy with that too.
>
> Let me know what you would like to do.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave
>

__________________________________________________________________
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cognizant Development Engineer | Architecture/Implementation Lead
EDRN Informatics Center        | Virtual Oceanographic Data Center
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory       Pasadena, CA, USA
Office: 171-266B                     Mailstop:  171-246
__________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer:  The opinions presented within are my own and do not reflect
those of either NASA, JPL, or the California Institute of Technology.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

David Meikle
Hi Chris,
2008/11/18 Mattmann, Chris A <[hidden email]>
>
> So, how about this as a vote. Should we release Tika 0.2 incubating as-is,
> or should we defer release until we move the infrastructure over to Apache
> Lucene, and then release 0.2 in the Lucene area?
>
> [] Release Tika 0.2 within the Apache Incubator
> [] Release Tika 0.2 within the Apache Lucene area


As far as I was concerned I was going to be releasing this under the Lucene
banner and not the incubator. Probably just being a bit quick as should
really have the mailing lists up to date in the POM, and update the status
on the web site, etc.


> Either way, I'm fine with you leading the release process. I can help
> though
> still. Just let me know what parts you don't have time for when the time to
> release comes and I will pick those up for you.
>

Great, thanks.


Cheers,
Dave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

Jukka Zitting
In reply to this post by Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:09 AM, Mattmann, Chris A
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just never got any direction as to when to move forward on pushing it out.
> I think it's a community decision to push a release out, [...]

Yeah, but things won't happen unless someone is actively pushing for
them. Typically that someone is the release manager.

I hope I don't sound too negative, but it's been five months since you
volunteered as the 0.2 release manager and there's been no action from
you since then. In September I explicitly cleared the issue tracker of
any pending 0.2 issues and people agreed to my "current trunk is good
enough to be released". What more community input were you expecting?

It's perfectly fine to be otherwise occupied, and in a good open
source fashion other people will then take up your tasks. Last week
Dave proposed to take up the task of managing the 0.2 release and
nobody objected.

> I think we should probably take a vote though, don't you think?

We already left the Incubator when the graduation votes passed. We
still have some infrastructure migration to complete, but
administrationally we're already a part of Lucene. So the option of
doing an Incubator release is no longer valid.

Our code is ready for 0.2 and I don't think we need to wait for the
infra bits to do the release.

BR,

Jukka Zitting
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Hi Jukka,

> Yeah, but things won't happen unless someone is actively pushing for
> them. Typically that someone is the release manager.

Very true.

>
> It's perfectly fine to be otherwise occupied, and in a good open
> source fashion other people will then take up your tasks. Last week
> Dave proposed to take up the task of managing the 0.2 release and
> nobody objected.

Yep, you're right.

>
>> I think we should probably take a vote though, don't you think?
>
> We already left the Incubator when the graduation votes passed. We
> still have some infrastructure migration to complete, but
> administrationally we're already a part of Lucene. So the option of
> doing an Incubator release is no longer valid.
>
> Our code is ready for 0.2 and I don't think we need to wait for the
> infra bits to do the release.

+1. Let's do it. Dave, please push forward, and disregard my call for a
vote. Thanks to you and Jukka for leading the charge.

Cheers,
Chris

__________________________________________________________________
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cognizant Development Engineer | Architecture/Implementation Lead
EDRN Informatics Center        | Virtual Oceanographic Data Center
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory       Pasadena, CA, USA
Office: 171-266B                     Mailstop:  171-246
__________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer:  The opinions presented within are my own and do not reflect
those of either NASA, JPL, or the California Institute of Technology.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TIKA 0.2 Release

Jukka Zitting
In reply to this post by Jukka Zitting
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Jukka Zitting <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope I don't sound too negative [...]

I guess that did come out more negatively than I wanted.

I'm sorry about that, no offense meant.

BR,

Jukka Zitting