Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP - bigger picture

Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP - bigger picture

Shane Curcuru
Michael McCandless <[hidden email]> wrote:

...snip...
> While I agree, out of context, Robert's use of a veto/revert wars is
> inappropriate, and is not how things should be done in a healthy
> Apache project.... Lucene/Solr are not healthy right now, and
> desperate times call for desperate measures.

Apache projects are about community and consensus driven development.
When the larger community is having serious disagreements about the
direction of the project, the first place the community (people here)
should go is to the PMC - that'd be private@lucene in this case.

PMCs *should* be the place to work these kinds of issues out.  If
committers start engaging in controversial reverts, the community should
*insist* that the PMC assist in the matter and help show the
community-based way forwards.

If committers on any Apache project aren't getting answers or help from
their PMC, then you can always raise the issue up to board@.  Remember:
we're all volunteers here: it does take time for PMCs or communities to
really understand the issue and respond to it (even if there isn't
consensus).  So I certainly wouldn't urge people to email board@ with
every little issue without letting the PMC discuss it.

But from a board perspective, we would certainly rather have heard of
some of the apparent community issues in Solr and Lucene recently from a
PMC member or committer *first*, before one of the directors was reading
through some of these threads or JIRA comments this week.  The board
welcomes reports on community health from our projects - good or bad.

- Shane (not on Lucene lists)

Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP - bigger picture

Michael McCandless-2
Thanks Shane.

I agree we (the PMC) should have stepped in well before things got to
this point.  Hindsight is 20/20, and, I'm still learning here too ;)

Then we could have prevented such extreme non-Apache behavior (invalid
vetos, reverting wars).

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Shane Curcuru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael McCandless <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>>
>> While I agree, out of context, Robert's use of a veto/revert wars is
>> inappropriate, and is not how things should be done in a healthy
>> Apache project.... Lucene/Solr are not healthy right now, and
>> desperate times call for desperate measures.
>
> Apache projects are about community and consensus driven development. When
> the larger community is having serious disagreements about the direction of
> the project, the first place the community (people here) should go is to the
> PMC - that'd be private@lucene in this case.
>
> PMCs *should* be the place to work these kinds of issues out.  If committers
> start engaging in controversial reverts, the community should *insist* that
> the PMC assist in the matter and help show the community-based way forwards.
>
> If committers on any Apache project aren't getting answers or help from
> their PMC, then you can always raise the issue up to board@.  Remember:
> we're all volunteers here: it does take time for PMCs or communities to
> really understand the issue and respond to it (even if there isn't
> consensus).  So I certainly wouldn't urge people to email board@ with every
> little issue without letting the PMC discuss it.
>
> But from a board perspective, we would certainly rather have heard of some
> of the apparent community issues in Solr and Lucene recently from a PMC
> member or committer *first*, before one of the directors was reading through
> some of these threads or JIRA comments this week.  The board welcomes
> reports on community health from our projects - good or bad.
>
> - Shane (not on Lucene lists)

Re: [VOTE] Create Solr TLP - bigger picture

Robert Muir
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Shane Curcuru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apache projects are about community and consensus driven development. When
> the larger community is having serious disagreements about the direction of
> the project, the first place the community (people here) should go is to the
> PMC - that'd be private@lucene in this case.

I agree.

I regret the way in which I responded to this situation.