Re-swizzle 2.3

123

Re-swizzle 2.3

Arun Murthy
Based on the discussion at common-dev@, we've decided to target 2.3
off the tip of branch-2 based on the 2 major HDFS features which are
Heterogenous Storage (HDFS-2832) and HDFS Cache (HDFS-4949).

I'll create a new branch-2.3 on (1/24) at 6pm PST.

thanks,
Arun

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Arun Murthy
Done. I've re-created branch-2.3 from branch-2.

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Jason Lowe
Thanks, Arun.  Are there plans to update the Fix Versions and
CHANGES.txt accordingly?  There are a lot of JIRAs that are now going to
ship in 2.3.0 but the JIRA and CHANGES.txt says they're not fixed until
2.4.0.

Jason

On 01/27/2014 08:47 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> Done. I've re-created branch-2.3 from branch-2.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>
> On Jan 23, 2014, at 2:40 AM, Arun Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Based on the discussion at common-dev@, we've decided to target 2.3
>> off the tip of branch-2 based on the 2 major HDFS features which are
>> Heterogenous Storage (HDFS-2832) and HDFS Cache (HDFS-4949).
>>
>> I'll create a new branch-2.3 on (1/24) at 6pm PST.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
> --
> Arun C. Murthy
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Arun Murthy
Yep, on it as we speak. :)

Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Sandy Ryza
We should hold off commits until that's done, right?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yep, on it as we speak. :)
>

> Arun
>
> On Jan 27, 2014, at 12:36 PM, Jason Lowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Arun.  Are there plans to update the Fix Versions and
> CHANGES.txt accordingly?  There are a lot of JIRAs that are now going to
> ship in 2.3.0 but the JIRA and CHANGES.txt says they're not fixed until
> 2.4.0.
> >
> > Jason
> >
> > On 01/27/2014 08:47 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> >> Done. I've re-created branch-2.3 from branch-2.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> Arun

> >> --
> >> Arun C. Murthy
> >> Hortonworks Inc.
> >> http://hortonworks.com/
> >>

> --
> Arun C. Murthy
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Sandy Ryza
Going forward with commits because it seems like others have been doing so

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Sandy Ryza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We should hold off commits until that's done, right?
>

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Yep, on it as we speak. :)
>>

>> Arun
>>
>> On Jan 27, 2014, at 12:36 PM, Jason Lowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks, Arun.  Are there plans to update the Fix Versions and
>> CHANGES.txt accordingly?  There are a lot of JIRAs that are now going to
>> ship in 2.3.0 but the JIRA and CHANGES.txt says they're not fixed until
>> 2.4.0.
>> >
>> > Jason

>> --
>> Arun C. Murthy
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Arun Murthy
Sorry, missed this. Go ahead, I'll fix things up at the back end. Thanks.

On Jan 28, 2014, at 12:11 AM, Sandy Ryza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Going forward with commits because it seems like others have been doing so
>

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Sandy Ryza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We should hold off commits until that's done, right?
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, on it as we speak. :)
>>>

>>> Arun

>>> CHANGES.txt accordingly?  There are a lot of JIRAs that are now going to
>>> ship in 2.3.0 but the JIRA and CHANGES.txt says they're not fixed until
>>> 2.4.0.

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>>> immediately

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Arun Murthy
Fixing up stuff now, thanks to Andrew for volunteering to help with Common/HDFS.

Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Arun Murthy
Mostly ready for a jira perspective.

Committers - Henceforth, please use extreme caution while committing to branch-2.3. Please commit *only* blockers to 2.3.

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Jason Lowe
I noticed that somehow the target version field in JIRA was invisibly
cleared on most of the Blocker/Critical JIRAs that were originally
targeted for 2.3.0/2.4.0.  I happened to have an old browser tab lying
around from an earlier query for these and I tried to fix them up,
marking some for 2.4.0 that IMHO weren't show-stoppers for the 2.3.0
release.  It is a bit concerning that the JIRA history showed that the
target version was set at some point in the past but no record of it
being cleared.

Jason

On 01/29/2014 07:58 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> Mostly ready for a jira perspective.
>
> Committers - Henceforth, please use extreme caution while committing to branch-2.3. Please commit *only* blockers to 2.3.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>
> On Jan 28, 2014, at 3:30 PM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Fixing up stuff now, thanks to Andrew for volunteering to help with Common/HDFS.
>>
>> Arun
>>
>> On Jan 28, 2014, at 10:54 AM, Arun C Murthy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, missed this. Go ahead, I'll fix things up at the back end. Thanks.

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>> --
>> Arun C. Murthy
>> Hortonworks Inc.
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

> --
> Arun C. Murthy
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Doug Cutting
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Jason Lowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  It is a bit concerning that the JIRA history showed that the target version
> was set at some point in the past but no record of it being cleared.

Perhaps the version itself was renamed?

Doug

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Andrew Wang
I just finished tuning up branch-2.3 and fixing up the HDFS and Common
CHANGES.txt in trunk, branch-2, and branch-2.3. I had to merge back a few
JIRAs committed between the swizzle and now where the fix version was 2.3
but weren't in branch-2.3.

I think the only two HDFS and Common JIRAs that are marked for 2.4 are
these:

HDFS-5842 Cannot create hftp filesystem when using a proxy user ugi and a
doAs on a secure cluster
HDFS-5781 Use an array to record the mapping between FSEditLogOpCode and
the corresponding byte value

Jing, these both look safe to me if you want to merge them back, or I can
just do it.

Thanks,
Andrew

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Doug Cutting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Jason Lowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  It is a bit concerning that the JIRA history showed that the target
version
> > was set at some point in the past but no record of it being cleared.
>
> Perhaps the version itself was renamed?
>
> Doug

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Aaron T. Myers
I just filed this JIRA as a blocker for 2.3:

The tl;dr is that JNs will not work with security enabled without this fix.
If others don't think that supporting QJM with security enabled warrants a
blocker for 2.3, then we can certainly lower the priority, but it seems
pretty important to me.

Best,
Aaron

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Andrew Wang <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I just finished tuning up branch-2.3 and fixing up the HDFS and Common
> CHANGES.txt in trunk, branch-2, and branch-2.3. I had to merge back a few
> JIRAs committed between the swizzle and now where the fix version was 2.3
> but weren't in branch-2.3.
>
> I think the only two HDFS and Common JIRAs that are marked for 2.4 are
> these:
>
> HDFS-5842 Cannot create hftp filesystem when using a proxy user ugi and a
> doAs on a secure cluster
> HDFS-5781 Use an array to record the mapping between FSEditLogOpCode and
> the corresponding byte value
>
> Jing, these both look safe to me if you want to merge them back, or I can
> just do it.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
>
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Doug Cutting <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Jason Lowe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >  It is a bit concerning that the JIRA history showed that the target
> version
> > > was set at some point in the past but no record of it being cleared.
> >
> > Perhaps the version itself was renamed?
> >
> > Doug

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

stack-3
I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-5852 as a blocker.  See
what ye all think.

Thanks,
St.Ack

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Aaron T. Myers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just filed this JIRA as a blocker for 2.3:
>
> The tl;dr is that JNs will not work with security enabled without this fix.
> If others don't think that supporting QJM with security enabled warrants a
> blocker for 2.3, then we can certainly lower the priority, but it seems
> pretty important to me.
>
> Best,
> Aaron
>
> --
> Aaron T. Myers
> Software Engineer, Cloudera
>

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Andrew Wang <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > I just finished tuning up branch-2.3 and fixing up the HDFS and Common
> > CHANGES.txt in trunk, branch-2, and branch-2.3. I had to merge back a few
> > JIRAs committed between the swizzle and now where the fix version was 2.3
> > but weren't in branch-2.3.
> >
> > I think the only two HDFS and Common JIRAs that are marked for 2.4 are
> > these:
> >
> > HDFS-5842 Cannot create hftp filesystem when using a proxy user ugi and a
> > doAs on a secure cluster
> > HDFS-5781 Use an array to record the mapping between FSEditLogOpCode and
> > the corresponding byte value
> >
> > Jing, these both look safe to me if you want to merge them back, or I can
> > just do it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andrew
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Doug Cutting <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > version
> > >
> > > Perhaps the version itself was renamed?
> > >
> > > Doug

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli-2

Okay, I'll look at YARN and MR CHANGES.txt problems. Seems like they aren't addressed yet.

+Vinod

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Aaron T. Myers
I just committed HADOOP-10310 to branch-2.3, so we're good to go there.
(Thanks to Andrew and Daryn for the prompt reviews.)

--

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Aaron T. Myers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just filed this JIRA as a blocker for 2.3:
>
> The tl;dr is that JNs will not work with security enabled without this
> fix. If others don't think that supporting QJM with security enabled
> warrants a blocker for 2.3, then we can certainly lower the priority, but
> it seems pretty important to me.
>
> Best,
> Aaron
>
> --
> Aaron T. Myers
> Software Engineer, Cloudera
>

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Andrew Wang <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I just finished tuning up branch-2.3 and fixing up the HDFS and Common
>> CHANGES.txt in trunk, branch-2, and branch-2.3. I had to merge back a few
>> JIRAs committed between the swizzle and now where the fix version was 2.3
>> but weren't in branch-2.3.
>>
>> I think the only two HDFS and Common JIRAs that are marked for 2.4 are
>> these:
>>
>> HDFS-5842 Cannot create hftp filesystem when using a proxy user ugi and a
>> doAs on a secure cluster
>> HDFS-5781 Use an array to record the mapping between FSEditLogOpCode and
>> the corresponding byte value
>>
>> Jing, these both look safe to me if you want to merge them back, or I can
>> just do it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Doug Cutting <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> version
>> >
>> > Perhaps the version itself was renamed?
>> >
>> > Doug

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli-2
That was quite some exercise, but I'm done with it now. Updated YARN's and MAPREDUCE's CHANGES.txt on trunk, branch-2 and branch-2.3. Let me know if you find some inaccuracies.

Thanks,
+Vinod

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Arun Murthy
Thanks Vinod, appreciate it!

I think we are very close.

Here is a handy ref. to the list of blockers: http://s.apache.org/hadoop-2.3.0-blockers

I'd appreciate if folks can help expedite these fixes, and, equally importantly bring up others they feel should be blockers for 2.3.0.

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Re-swizzle 2.3

Andrew Wang
Thanks for the link Arun, I went ahead and punted one HADOOP blocker, and
the remaining two HADOOP/HDFS looks like they're under active review.

Post-swizzle, it seems like most blockers for 2.4 would also apply to 2.3,
so I looked at that list too:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12326375&jql=project%20in%20(HADOOP%2C%20YARN%2C%20HDFS%2C%20MAPREDUCE)%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Patch%20Available%22)%20AND%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%20%222.4.0%22

YARN-1673 IIUC relates to the AHS, so is actually only in branch-2 and not
branch-2.3.

HADOOP-10048, Jason's comment says he's okay with it not being a blocker.

HDFS-5796 hasn't seen much action. Kihwal or Haohui, could you comment on
the importance/status? I don't have much context in this area.

Best,
Andrew