Reasonable development environment

steve johnson-4
Hi,
I'm trying to build an development environment for a
friend to do some mod_mbox work that requires
lucene4c.  After 2 whole days of building packages and
searching these archives for hints my only comment is
"WoW".  I understand a lot of this stuff is in flux so
I don't expect a FAQ or Howto but I'm wondering  if
someone can list  the components and version numbers
of the packages they use to build lucene4c.  After
reading a lot of email from this list I tried using
building gcj-backend branch with apr 1.1 (and 1.0 and
0.9) and gcc4.0 (and 3.4 and 3.3) and had no luck.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Re: Reasonable development environment

Garrett Rooney
steve johnson wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to build an development environment for a
> friend to do some mod_mbox work that requires
> lucene4c.  After 2 whole days of building packages and
> searching these archives for hints my only comment is
> "WoW".  I understand a lot of this stuff is in flux so
> I don't expect a FAQ or Howto but I'm wondering  if
> someone can list  the components and version numbers
> of the packages they use to build lucene4c.  After
> reading a lot of email from this list I tried using
> building gcj-backend branch with apr 1.1 (and 1.0 and
> 0.9) and gcc4.0 (and 3.4 and 3.3) and had no luck.
> Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

I currently use apr from the trunk (make sure to compile with
--enable-experimental-libtool) and gcc 4.0.  If you post some specific
examples of the problems you're seeing perhaps we can help you out with
them, simply saying "it don't work" makes it rather difficult to be
specific about the solution.

And now that you mention it, if you do get it working then reducing the
steps you need to take into a HOWTO would be quite useful...

-garrett

Re: Reasonable development environment

steve johnson-4

--- Garrett Rooney <[hidden email]>
> And now that you mention it, if you do get it
> working then reducing the
> steps you need to take into a HOWTO would be quite
> useful...
>
> -garrett

I've been burning up my inetnet line with apt-get
installs for the last couple of days. Retracing those
changes would be impossible at this point but from
this point forward I might be able to document my
steps.

Re: Reasonable development environment

Paul Querna
Lucene4c is optional for mod_mbox.  It is not required.

All the current features for mod_mbox work just fine without Lucene4c.

-Paul
steve johnson wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm trying to build an development environment for a
>friend to do some mod_mbox work that requires
>lucene4c.  After 2 whole days of building packages and
>searching these archives for hints my only comment is
>"WoW".  I understand a lot of this stuff is in flux so
>I don't expect a FAQ or Howto but I'm wondering  if
>someone can list  the components and version numbers
>of the packages they use to build lucene4c.  After
>reading a lot of email from this list I tried using
>building gcj-backend branch with apr 1.1 (and 1.0 and
>0.9) and gcc4.0 (and 3.4 and 3.3) and had no luck.
>Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Steve

Re: Reasonable development environment

steve johnson-4
The developer I am building this for will be working
adding search functionality to mod_mbox using
lucene4c.

BTW using the trunk apr and gcc 4.0 got me lucene4c
built.  mod_mbox doesn't build (can't fine lucene4c
includes) but that isn't an issue for this list I
would assume.

--- Paul Querna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lucene4c is optional for mod_mbox.  It is not
> required.
>
> All the current features for mod_mbox work just fine
> without Lucene4c.
>
> -Paul
> steve johnson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I'm trying to build an development environment for
> >friend to do some mod_mbox work that requires
> >lucene4c.  After 2 whole days of building packages
> and
> >searching these archives for hints my only comment
> is
> >"WoW".  I understand a lot of this stuff is in flux
> so
> >I don't expect a FAQ or Howto but I'm wondering  if
> >someone can list  the components and version
> numbers
> >of the packages they use to build lucene4c.  After
> >reading a lot of email from this list I tried using
> >building gcj-backend branch with apr 1.1 (and 1.0
> and
> >0.9) and gcc4.0 (and 3.4 and 3.3) and had no luck.
> >Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Steve

Re: Reasonable development environment

Owen McCabe
>And now that you mention it, if you do get it working then reducing the
>steps you need to take into a HOWTO would be quite useful...
>
>-garrett

Here's what I remember doing. Most of this was gleaned from other mail
on the list.

Get gcc 4.0, g++ 4.0, gcj 4.0, libgcj6, libgcj6-dev.

If you end up having trouble getting lucene4c to use the newer
compiler versions instead of your old ones, try making links to them
in a directory and adding that directory to your path. i.e. something
like ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 ~/bin/gcc
Then add ~/bin/gcc to your path

Get the latest version of apr:
$svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk/ apr
configure with --experimental-libtool
make and install
note the install path

Get the latest version of lucene4c
$svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucene4c/trunk lucene4c

run the bootstrap script. if that fails, you may need to install
autoconf, automake or something else

run configure with --with-apr=<your apr path>
if anything has a "no" beside it in the output, you probably need to
install it or fix something

run make and that should be it hopefully.

If you're using a very recent version of gcc and you get an error like "global
qualification of class name is  invalid before : token" take a look here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-c-dev/200507.mbox/%3ce679c35705070520504ddf9a0d@...%3e

Apologies if parts of this are too obvious (or too vague). I'm not
familiar enough to know where meat is needed.

-owen

Owen McCabe wrote:

> Apologies if parts of this are too obvious (or too vague). I'm not
> familiar enough to know where meat is needed.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to work this into
a howto for the web site.  The site really needs updating anyway, so
this will make for a good excuse to do it ;-)

-garrett