Recommended Java Distribution

Kayak28
Hello, Solr Community:

My customer would like to use Amazon Corretto JDK instead of OpenJDK.

I wonder if it is ok to say, "yes, you can use" or I should not recommend
it at all.

Is anyone in the Community using Amazon Corretto for your Solr?

Have you ever had any problems with that?

If you share any experience, I would be really appreciated.

--

Sincerely,
Kaya
github: https://github.com/28kayak

Re: Recommended Java Distribution

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Our official statement is here

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_4/solr-system-requirements.html#sources-for-java

I have no experience with Corretto in production, but Amazon uses it heavily for all their Java workloads in the cloud. I believe it is based on OpenJDK but with Amazon’s own patches.
I would not hesitate to make such a decision. But perhaps people with first-hand experience can share what they found?

Jan

> 19. mar. 2020 kl. 11:13 skrev Kayak28 <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello, Solr Community:
>
> My customer would like to use Amazon Corretto JDK instead of OpenJDK.
>
> I wonder if it is ok to say, "yes, you can use" or I should not recommend
> it at all.
>
> Is anyone in the Community using Amazon Corretto for your Solr?
>
> Have you ever had any problems with that?
>
> If you share any experience, I would be really appreciated.
>

> --
>
> Sincerely,
> Kaya
> github: https://github.com/28kayak

Re: Recommended Java Distribution

Eric Buss
Hi Kaya,

We have been using Amazon Corretto for Solr for the past 6 months without issue. We did not notice any difference from running on Open JDK prior to that.

Cheers
Eric