Reloading solrconfig.xml

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Hi,

What's the best way to dynamically change solrconfig.xml and have the changes take effect?
It looks like one could just regenerate the file and call SolrConfig.initConfig(String file).
Is that the proper/best way to do it?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Reloading solrconfig.xml

Yonik Seeley-2
On 9/21/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's the best way to dynamically change solrconfig.xml and have the changes take effect?

Everything would need to be designed for that, and it's currently not.

You might be able to reload the config, but all the classes that
looked at the config and configured themselves would need to be

At CNET, we are always in a load-balanced environment for scalability
and HA.  In that environment, you simply change the config and bounce
the server, letting the remaining servers handle requests.

Re: Reloading solrconfig.xml

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Thanks, that's actually simpler and it will work for me.
Since I'm thinking of only changing mergeFactor and friends on the fly, I suppose I'd only need to modify Master's solrconfig.xml.

Otis

On 9/21/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's the best way to dynamically change solrconfig.xml and have the changes take effect?

Everything would need to be designed for that, and it's currently not.

You might be able to reload the config, but all the classes that
looked at the config and configured themselves would need to be

At CNET, we are always in a load-balanced environment for scalability
and HA.  In that environment, you simply change the config and bounce
the server, letting the remaining servers handle requests.

Re: Reloading solrconfig.xml

Yonik Seeley-2
On 9/21/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, that's actually simpler and it will work for me.
> Since I'm thinking of only changing mergeFactor and friends on the fly, I suppose I'd only need to modify Master's solrconfig.xml.

Is this for testing or something?

I could think of usecases where it might make sense to somehow allow
changing mergeFactor in add requests (complete index builds vs
incremental adds, etc).

-Yonik