Removal of Apache HttpComponents/HttpClient for 9.0?

Removal of Apache HttpComponents/HttpClient for 9.0?

David Smiley
I think that historically, we are good at adding code but not good at removing code.  We add new ways to do things but keep the old.  Removal is more work often forgotten but doing nothing implicitly adds technical debt henceforth.

With that segue... given that our latest SolrClient implementations are based on Jetty HttpClient (to support Http2 but should support 1.1?), do we need the original Apache HttpComponents/HttpClient as well?  This is an honest question... maybe there are subtle reasons they are needed and I think it would be good as a project that we are clear on them.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Re: Removal of Apache HttpComponents/HttpClient for 9.0?

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Maybe we need them for kerberos? I'm totally fine getting rid of kerberos support from Solr core some day, but it might not be very easy to refactor it into a package.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer

Re: Removal of Apache HttpComponents/HttpClient for 9.0?

Noble Paul നോബിള്‍  नोब्ळ्
+1 @David Smiley