Retrieving a non-indexed but stored field

Retrieving a non-indexed but stored field

Andrew Nagy-2
Hello - I have the following field:

<field name="url" type="string" indexed="false" stored="true" multiValued="true"/>

However, when I do a search, the url field does not display.  Does the field also need to be indexed in order to retrieve the data?

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Retrieving a non-indexed but stored field

Erik Hatcher

On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Andrew Nagy wrote:

> Hello - I have the following field:
>
> <field name="url" type="string" indexed="false" stored="true"
> multiValued="true"/>
>
> However, when I do a search, the url field does not display.  Does
> the field also need to be indexed in order to retrieve the data?

No... but it does need to be requested, either as fl=url, or fl=*

        Erik

RE: Retrieving a non-indexed but stored field

Andrew Nagy-2
Sorry for the late follow-up.  I am doing this, but get nothing back.

Can anyone replicate this problem?

Andrew
On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Andrew Nagy wrote:

> Hello - I have the following field:
>
> <field name="url" type="string" indexed="false" stored="true"
> multiValued="true"/>
>
> However, when I do a search, the url field does not display.  Does
> the field also need to be indexed in order to retrieve the data?

No... but it does need to be requested, either as fl=url, or fl=*

        Erik

On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Andrew Nagy wrote:

> Hello - I have the following field:
>
> <field name="url" type="string" indexed="false" stored="true"
> multiValued="true"/>
>
> However, when I do a search, the url field does not display.  Does
> the field also need to be indexed in order to retrieve the data?

No... but it does need to be requested, either as fl=url, or fl=*

        Erik

Re: Retrieving a non-indexed but stored field

Yonik Seeley-2
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Andrew Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for the late follow-up.  I am doing this, but get nothing back.

Did you change the field to "stored" in the schema after you added the document?
I've never seen anyone having this problem, so perhaps verify that you
are actually sending the url field when indexing.

RE: Retrieving a non-indexed but stored field

Andrew Nagy-2
Nope - I made the schema change and then indexed all of my content.

I can confirm that the URL string is included, cause when I change my schema back to have both stored and indexed, it shows the URL data in the search results.  When I change it to stored and not indexed, no data is returned.

Andrew
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Andrew Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for the late follow-up.  I am doing this, but get nothing back.

Did you change the field to "stored" in the schema after you added the document?
I've never seen anyone having this problem, so perhaps verify that you
are actually sending the url field when indexing.

Re: Retrieving a non-indexed but stored field

Erick Erickson
What's the query you're hitting SOLR with? If it's on the URL field,
that would match your behavior.... I.e. if you're getting
results based upon whether you index the field or not,  it
would be neatly explained by whether you're *searching* on
that field.

Best
Erick@AShotInTheDark....

P.S. Luke might help here too....

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Andrew Nagy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Nope - I made the schema change and then indexed all of my content.
>
> I can confirm that the URL string is included, cause when I change my
> schema back to have both stored and indexed, it shows the URL data in the
> search results.  When I change it to stored and not indexed, no data is
> returned.
>
> Andrew

I just did a quick sanity test with the example schema, changing the
"name" field to indexed="false" and reindexing.  The "name" field is
still returned in the documents.

You many need to reproduce this in an example you can share with others.

-Yonik