SMILE/Rails/Babel and Dynamic Facets?

AE-4
Erik:

You are doing some pretty cool stuff with flare! I am amazed! Now I have some questions :-)

- Smile and Babel does everything and its so easy so I wonder why you need ruby/rails for flare? What I mean is that one could get XML feed directly from Solr to smile if the xml is formatted correctly correct? no? I am guessing you have bigger plans :-) .. I am just curious

- A different question regarding dynamic facets, I wonder if its possible to do facets based on "term frequency"? I mean what one need to do lets say you decide that show automatically the top 10 medium_facets or top 10 genra_facets.. or just the top 10 term frequency facet .. and then show where this sub facets.. For lack of better term I am using the word dynamic facets as the index will change.. how will one go about doing that? I hope I am able to explain correctly..

Regards

---------------------------------

Stava rätt! Stava lätt! Yahoo! Mails stavkontroll tar hand om tryckfelen och mycket mer! Få den på http://se.mail.yahoo.com

Re: SMILE/Rails/Babel and Dynamic Facets?

Erik Hatcher

On Feb 8, 2007, at 7:23 PM, Antonio Eggberg wrote:
> You are doing some pretty cool stuff with flare! I am amazed! Now I
> have some questions :-)

Thanks!

> - Smile and Babel does everything and its so easy so I wonder why
> you need ruby/rails for flare? What I mean is that one could get
> XML feed directly from Solr to smile if the xml is formatted
> correctly correct? no? I am guessing you have bigger plans :-) .. I
> am just curious

Oh sure, you could totally map Solr directly into SIMILE Exhibit, via
JSON.  However, the Flare Rails application does maintain state so
the current query and filter state are taken into consideration for
the data sent to Exhibit.  It was really just a glorious hack to tie
the two together that easily.  More is needed. Flare has a few hard-
coded spots that need to be factored out into configuration, and also
the Exhibit controller only sends out a maximum of 10 items at the
moment.  So its a proof-of-concept, and whether its a keeper in Flare
remains to be seen.   I would like to see SIMILE Timeline support get
added eventually too and see how that fits.

> - A different question regarding dynamic facets, I wonder if its
> possible to do facets based on "term frequency"? I mean what one
> need to do lets say you decide that show automatically the top 10
> medium_facets or top 10 genra_facets.. or just the top 10 term
> frequency facet .. and then show where this sub facets.. For lack
> of better term I am using the word dynamic facets as the index will
> change.. how will one go about doing that? I hope I am able to
> explain correctly..

I'm sure this could be done.   Flare can evolve into a UI that
adjusts based on the state of the index, for sure.  I haven't
contemplated this far yet, but I think you're on the right track.

        Erik