Shiny New Logos

Grant Ingersoll-2

Marcello Prattico (http://www.astrochimp.com) has graciously agreed
to create some Lucene logos that incorporate Duke into the logo so
that we can distinguish Lucene Java from Lucene TLP (Top-Level
Project).  The Lucene TLP logo (a.k.a the Green cursive Lucene that
we all know and love) will appear in the upper right of the website
(replacing the feather), and the new logo will be in the center where
the current green logo is now located.

There are 5 total images labeled lucene?.png that can be viewed at
http://people.apache.org/~gsingers/images/   The tar file in the
directory contains all the images in both psd and png formats, plus
the Duke originals used.

So, if people want to vote for one (just reply with the name of the
one you like), I will be happy to incorporate the consensus into the
website.  Of course, since this is Open Source, others are free to
submit there own versions or provide other suggestions.

Personally, I vote for http://people.apache.org/~gsingers/images/
lucene3.png but I also like http://people.apache.org/~gsingers/images/
lucene1.png as well.

-Grant

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org

LuceneFAQ

Re: Shiny New Logos

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Nice, thanks to Marcello if he's reading.
I like 1.png and 2.png (bottom logo) and 3.png.  I would prefer the old green colour, so we don't lose that bit of branding and history.
The logo in 3.png makes me think of Ghostbusters. :)  It might be interesting to see that circle turned into a magnifying glass a la any other search icon, and maybe using the original cursive font.

I believe Doug has the EPS version of the logo.

Otis

Re: Shiny New Logos

Daniel John Debrunner-2
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Marcello Prattico (http://www.astrochimp.com) has graciously agreed to
> create some Lucene logos that incorporate Duke into the logo so that we
> can distinguish Lucene Java from Lucene TLP (Top-Level Project).  The
> Lucene TLP logo (a.k.a the Green cursive Lucene that we all know and
> love) will appear in the upper right of the website (replacing the
> feather), and the new logo will be in the center where the current green
> logo is now located.
>
> There are 5 total images labeled lucene?.png that can be viewed at
> http://people.apache.org/~gsingers/images/   The tar file in the
> directory contains all the images in both psd and png formats, plus the
> Duke originals used.

Can anyone use the Duke logo like this? I thought it was a trademark of
Sun Microsystems.

http://logos.sun.com/logosite.jsp?Category=third&Logo=duke-button

Dan.

Re: Shiny New Logos

Doug Cutting
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> So, if people want to vote for one (just reply with the name of the one
> you like), I will be happy to incorporate the consensus into the
> website.

Of these, my favorite is #2 (lower image), since the typeface is most
similar to the existing Lucene logo.

But my preference would not be to redesign the Lucene logo, but rather
just find a nice way to combine it with Duke, perhaps cleaning it up a
bit.  Someone once found a typeface that's really similar to the
existing Lucene logo (which was hand-drawn).

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-dev/200412.mbox/%3C41BCE6F4.8040304@...%3E

The font is ITC Magneto Bold Extended.

http://www.itcfonts.com/Fonts/detail.htm?pid=409331

And the old green could be grabbed from the old image.

Doug

Re: Shiny New Logos

Doug Cutting
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Can anyone use the Duke logo like this? I thought it was a trademark of
> Sun Microsystems.
>
> http://logos.sun.com/logosite.jsp?Category=third&Logo=duke-button

Sun has open-sourced Duke:

https://duke.dev.java.net/

Doug

Re: Shiny New Logos

Daniel John Debrunner-2
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>> Can anyone use the Duke logo like this? I thought it was a trademark
>> of Sun Microsystems.
>>
>> http://logos.sun.com/logosite.jsp?Category=third&Logo=duke-button
>
> Sun has open-sourced Duke:
>
> https://duke.dev.java.net/

Very cool, thanks Doug.

Dan.

Re: Shiny New Logos

Ronnie Kolehmainen

Doug Cutting wrote:

> But my preference would not be to redesign the Lucene logo, but rather
> just find a nice way to combine it with Duke, perhaps cleaning it up a
> bit.

+1

Out of these 5 (or 6) samples I find lucene2.png (bottom image) most
attractive.

Re: Shiny New Logos

Chris Hostetter-3

: Out of these 5 (or 6) samples I find lucene2.png (bottom image) most
: attractive.

+1

Re: Shiny New Logos

Grant Ingersoll-2
Hey all,

Marcello agreed to you produce a couple more versions which keep the
old logo intact and add in Duke.  He said he would try to come up w/
something in the next week or two if that is cool w/ everyone.

-Grant