Should we add Apache Commons Lang to tika-core as a dependency?

Should we add Apache Commons Lang to tika-core as a dependency?

Peter Lee
Hi all,

I'm working with TIKA-3141 recently and pushed a PR in github. As Keith suggested in the PR, maybe we should add Commons Lang to tika-core, as it seems Commons Lang are being used elsewhere in tika but not tika-core.
Ideas?
cheers,
Lee

Re: Should we add Apache Commons Lang to tika-core as a dependency?

Nick Burch-2
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020, Peter Lee wrote:
> I'm working with TIKA-3141 recently and pushed a PR in github. As Keith
> suggested in the PR, maybe we should add Commons Lang to tika-core, as
> it seems Commons Lang are being used elsewhere in tika but not
> tika-core.

Historically, we have tried to keep the dependencies on Tika Core
minimised, since you can't opt out of that part, and been looser with the
dependencies of Tika Parsers (and especially the future Tika Parsers
Modules)

Not to say we can't add it to Core, but I wanted to give some background!

Nick

Re: Should we add Apache Commons Lang to tika-core as a dependency?

Nicholas DiPiazza
I've found myself wanting it there before and this is so widely used
everywhere, not likely to cause any classpath issues.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 3:24 AM Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 2020, Peter Lee wrote:
> > I'm working with TIKA-3141 recently and pushed a PR in github. As Keith
> > suggested in the PR, maybe we should add Commons Lang to tika-core, as
> > it seems Commons Lang are being used elsewhere in tika but not
> > tika-core.
>
> Historically, we have tried to keep the dependencies on Tika Core
> minimised, since you can't opt out of that part, and been looser with the
> dependencies of Tika Parsers (and especially the future Tika Parsers
> Modules)
>
> Not to say we can't add it to Core, but I wanted to give some background!
>
> Nick

Re: Should we add Apache Commons Lang to tika-core as a dependency?

Uwe Schindler
-1

Please don't add this dependency. Most of this library is obsolete with newer Java versions and for the remaining ones it's easy to add simple code.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Should we add Apache Commons Lang to tika-core as a dependency?

keithrbennett
Uwe -

Could you say more about the library being obsolete? How much of the Commons functionality do newer versions of Java add? And which version of Java is the earliest one on which running Tika is supported (i.e. can our code rely on features of newer Java versions, and if so, which one(s))?

I’ve been away from Java and Tika for several years now and haven’t kept up much, but would like to get back involved, at least a little.

Thanks,
Keith