Show Logging In Solr UI?

Ryan McKinley
What do people think about showing log messages in the solr UI?

I have some code that registers a logging Appender (log4j) or Handler
(JUL) and keeps a buffer of the last N messages.  It then spits them
out from a RequestHandler.  Essentially this is like:

Is this something we want in Solr?  If so, can we add log4j to the compile path?

ryan

Re: Show Logging In Solr UI?

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Hi,

Could be useful, but we should not depend on anything else than slf4j. Would be useful if slf4j provided hooks for us to subscribe to log events, but it doesn't :( Could you do it with reflection?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 13. apr. 2012, at 23:06, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> What do people think about showing log messages in the solr UI?
>
> I have some code that registers a logging Appender (log4j) or Handler
> (JUL) and keeps a buffer of the last N messages.  It then spits them
> out from a RequestHandler.  Essentially this is like:
>
> Is this something we want in Solr?  If so, can we add log4j to the compile path?
>
> ryan

Re: Show Logging In Solr UI?

Ryan McKinley
> Could you do it with reflection?

not easily :)

Perhaps we could have a separate source tree that has different
dependencies, but it gets pushed into the same .jar -- this would keep
people from accidentally using log4j directly.

Or we could just support JUL and I could put the Log4J version on
github or something.

I have found it very useful to be able to see the last few log
messages from various machines without needing ssh access.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could be useful, but we should not depend on anything else than slf4j. Would be useful if slf4j provided hooks for us to subscribe to log events, but it doesn't :( Could you do it with reflection?

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> Solr Training - www.solrtraining.com
>
> On 13. apr. 2012, at 23:06, Ryan McKinley wrote:
>
>> What do people think about showing log messages in the solr UI?
>>
>> I have some code that registers a logging Appender (log4j) or Handler
>> (JUL) and keeps a buffer of the last N messages.  It then spits them
>> out from a RequestHandler.  Essentially this is like:
>>
>> Is this something we want in Solr?  If so, can we add log4j to the compile path?
>>
>> ryan

Re: Show Logging In Solr UI?

Chris Male
I definitely think this is something we want in Solr.

As much as I'm loathed to suggest this, why not put the log4j (and any other impls, does anybody still use JCL?) into a Solr contrib?  I don't think having it floating around github does us much good.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could you do it with reflection?

not easily :)

Perhaps we could have a separate source tree that has different
dependencies, but it gets pushed into the same .jar -- this would keep
people from accidentally using log4j directly.

Or we could just support JUL and I could put the Log4J version on
github or something.

I have found it very useful to be able to see the last few log
messages from various machines without needing ssh access.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could be useful, but we should not depend on anything else than slf4j. Would be useful if slf4j provided hooks for us to subscribe to log events, but it doesn't :( Could you do it with reflection?

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
> Solr Training - www.solrtraining.com
>
> On 13. apr. 2012, at 23:06, Ryan McKinley wrote:
>
>> What do people think about showing log messages in the solr UI?
>>
>> I have some code that registers a logging Appender (log4j) or Handler
>> (JUL) and keeps a buffer of the last N messages.  It then spits them
>> out from a RequestHandler.  Essentially this is like:
>>
>> Is this something we want in Solr?  If so, can we add log4j to the compile path?
>>
>> ryan

Chris Male | Software Developer | DutchWorks | www.dutchworks.nl

Re: Show Logging In Solr UI?

Walter Underwood
It seems reasonable. This is one of the things we added to Ultraseek. Plus, the developer next to me asked yesterday if he could see the logs in Solr.

wunder