Solaris 10

Takuya Kawasaki
Please let me ask a question.

I would like to use Solr on Solaris 10.
But I encountered a lot of errors.
First, I can’t install solr using install script in .tgz. script result shows I have to install manually not using the script.
Second, I can’t use ‘start’ command using /bin/solr script because of the wrong options of ‘awk’ command in Solaris 10.
Also, I can’t use ‘stop’ command using /bin/solr script and it happens just the same reason.

I think this script is written only for Linux not for Unix or just only not for Solaris.
(I know Solaris is unique OS and isn’t used widely in the world.)
I could install Solr on Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux) system so easily reading your website. (Thank you for creating so detailed documents!)
So I just would like to know whether Solr could run on the Solaris system or not.

Best Regards,
Takuya.

Re: Solaris 10

Susheel Kumar-3
No idea about Solaris much but the only option is to install manually as
you did and try to modify /bin/solr script to get rid of the errors you are
seeing etc.
Thnx

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 5:40 AM, Takuya Kawasaki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Please let me ask a question.
>
> I would like to use Solr on Solaris 10.
> But I encountered a lot of errors.
> First, I can’t install solr using install script in .tgz. script result
> shows I have to install manually not using the script.
> Second, I can’t use ‘start’ command using /bin/solr script because of the
> wrong options of ‘awk’ command in Solaris 10.
> Also, I can’t use ‘stop’ command using /bin/solr script and it happens
> just the same reason.
>
> I think this script is written only for Linux not for Unix or just only
> not for Solaris.
> (I know Solaris is unique OS and isn’t used widely in the world.)
> I could install Solr on Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux) system so easily reading your
> website. (Thank you for creating so detailed documents!)
> So I just would like to know whether Solr could run on the Solaris system
> or not.
>
> Best Regards,
> Takuya.

Re: Solaris 10

Shawn Heisey-2
On 5/24/2018 3:40 AM, Takuya Kawasaki wrote:
> Please let me ask a question.
>
> I would like to use Solr on Solaris 10.
> But I encountered a lot of errors.
> First, I can’t install solr using install script in .tgz. script result shows I have to install manually not using the script.
> Second, I can’t use ‘start’ command using /bin/solr script because of the wrong options of ‘awk’ command in Solaris 10.
> Also, I can’t use ‘stop’ command using /bin/solr script and it happens just the same reason.

The scripts assume certain tools are installed, and are written for GNU
versions of popular tools, because these are the things that are
typically available to open source developers.  A commercial OS like
Solaris often will not have these things installed by default, and the
versions that ARE installed often do not accept the same commandline
parameters, and may not be capable of the things that Solr developers
are looking for.

If you install things like lsof, bash, and the GNU versions of tools
like awk & sed (and possibly others), and make sure the system PATH is
set up so the GNU versions are encountered first when typing the bare
command in, the Solr scripts will probably start working.

Feel free to open a bug issue in Jira for support on a UNIX or UNIX-like
OS that isn't working.  And if you can remain available to provide
information about tools on that OS, it'll be easier to get the bug fixed.

Thanks,
Shawn