Solr Benchmarks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Solr Benchmarks

Nicolas St-Laurent
Hello,


Is there any Solr benchmarks available somewhere ? I would like to  
know how well it performs. I understand that it depends on the  
hardware config and on the application server used. Just to got an  
idea...

Thank you,

Nicolas

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr Benchmarks

Nicolas St-Laurent
The performance data on the wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ 
SolrPerformanceData) are a little short to get a good idea.


Le 06-11-06 à 09:28, Nicolas St-Laurent a écrit :

> Hello,
>
>
> Is there any Solr benchmarks available somewhere ? I would like to  
> know how well it performs. I understand that it depends on the  
> hardware config and on the application server used. Just to got an  
> idea...
>
> Thank you,
>
> Nicolas
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr Benchmarks

Kevin Lewandowski
In reply to this post by Nicolas St-Laurent
I've been using Solr for keyword search on Discogs.com for a few
months with great results.

As of today Solr is running under Tomcat on a single dedicated box.
It's a 2.66Ghz P4, with 1 gig ram. The index has about 1.2 million
documents and is 1.2 gigs in size. This machine handles 250,000
queries per day with no problem. CPU load stays around 0.15 most of
the time.

I hope that is helpful to you.

Kevin

On 11/6/06, Nicolas St-Laurent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>
> Is there any Solr benchmarks available somewhere ? I would like to
> know how well it performs. I understand that it depends on the
> hardware config and on the application server used. Just to got an
> idea...
>
> Thank you,
>
> Nicolas
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr Benchmarks

Walter Underwood, Netflix
In reply to this post by Nicolas St-Laurent
On 11/6/06 6:28 AM, "Nicolas St-Laurent" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there any Solr benchmarks available somewhere ? I would like to
> know how well it performs. I understand that it depends on the
> hardware config and on the application server used. Just to got an
> idea...

With search engines, you really need to test with your documents,
your queries, and your settings. Performance might vary by a
factor of ten or more.

I've done some testing using JMeter. I followed the instructions
in the JMeter FAQ for "How do I use external data files in my
test scripts?"

   http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterFAQ

I'm attaching the script I built with this. A few notes:

* The queries should be one per line in a file named "query.txt"
  in the JMeter bin directory.
* This test will use HTTP 1.1 persistent connections, so it
  is faster than a bunch of different clients. It should be
  fairly accurate if search is front-ended by another app.
* It helps to have a lot of queries, maybe 50K or more.
  I've seen other search engines run entirely from cache with a
  1000 query test set.
* JMeter can use a lot of CPU, so it might hit the limit before
  Solr does. Watch the CPU usage on both systems (JMeter and Solr)
  to see which one is the bottleneck.
* The display graphs can slow down JMeter on long tests. I was
  seeing spots of low CPU usage on the Solr server and those
  went away when I cleared the graph.

I was very pleased with the Solr performance in my testing.
With our small corpus (65K docs) I was seeing over 240 qps
on my dev box (dual 3 GHz Xeon). I expect that it didn't touch
the disk at all, since the index is only 50 Meg.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Search Guru, Netflix

 
 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr Benchmarks

Nicolas St-Laurent

Le 06-11-06 à 12:50, Walter Underwood a écrit :

>
>    http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterFAQ
>
> I'm attaching the script I built with this. A few notes:

Well, I doesn't get the script...

> I was very pleased with the Solr performance in my testing.
> With our small corpus (65K docs) I was seeing over 240 qps
> on my dev box (dual 3 GHz Xeon). I expect that it didn't touch
> the disk at all, since the index is only 50 Meg.
>
> wunder

Thank you wunder.  It gives me a good idea of what to expect of Solr.  
I understand that performance change a lot depending of the context  
of execution. It's a good idea to user JMeter to get a performance  
report. I will try this.

Nicolas

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr Benchmarks

Nicolas St-Laurent
In reply to this post by Kevin Lewandowski

Le 06-11-06 à 12:21, Kevin Lewandowski a écrit :

> As of today Solr is running under Tomcat on a single dedicated box.
> It's a 2.66Ghz P4, with 1 gig ram. The index has about 1.2 million
> documents and is 1.2 gigs in size. This machine handles 250,000
> queries per day with no problem. CPU load stays around 0.15 most of
> the time.
>
> I hope that is helpful to you.
>
> Kevin
>
Thank you Kevin. It gives me a good idea. I use a simple socket  
server right now in front of Lucene. I will give Solr a try.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr Benchmarks

Joachim Martin
In reply to this post by Walter Underwood, Netflix
Hi Walter,

Thunderbird shows that there is an attachment to this message in the
message list, but when I view
the message, no attachment is available.  Could you try sending this
attachment again?

Thanks --Joachim

Walter Underwood wrote:

>I've done some testing using JMeter. I followed the instructions
>in the JMeter FAQ for "How do I use external data files in my
>test scripts?"
>
>   http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterFAQ
>
>I'm attaching the script I built with this. A few notes:
>
>  
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr Benchmarks

Walter Underwood, Netflix
Here it is again, but the mailing list might strip attachments.
It is very easy to build your own using the instructions in the FAQ.

wunder

On 11/9/06 11:02 AM, "Joachim Martin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Walter,
>
> Thunderbird shows that there is an attachment to this message in the
> message list, but when I view
> the message, no attachment is available.  Could you try sending this
> attachment again?
>
> Thanks --Joachim
>
> Walter Underwood wrote:
>
>> I've done some testing using JMeter. I followed the instructions
>> in the JMeter FAQ for "How do I use external data files in my
>> test scripts?"
>>
>>   http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterFAQ
>>
>> I'm attaching the script I built with this. A few notes:
>>
>>  
>>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr Benchmarks

Chris Hostetter-3

: Here it is again, but the mailing list might strip attachments.
: It is very easy to build your own using the instructions in the FAQ.

in general, the Apache mailing lists strip attachments.  In my experience
plain text attachments seem to be okay, as long as they aren't too big and
have the mime type set properly by your mail sender.

in practice: it's usually better to just cut/paste in the body of your
message, or send a URL to an external resource.

:
: wunder
:
: On 11/9/06 11:02 AM, "Joachim Martin" <[hidden email]> wrote:
:
: > Hi Walter,
: >
: > Thunderbird shows that there is an attachment to this message in the
: > message list, but when I view
: > the message, no attachment is available.  Could you try sending this
: > attachment again?
: >
: > Thanks --Joachim
: >
: > Walter Underwood wrote:
: >
: >> I've done some testing using JMeter. I followed the instructions
: >> in the JMeter FAQ for "How do I use external data files in my
: >> test scripts?"
: >>
: >>   http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterFAQ
: >>
: >> I'm attaching the script I built with this. A few notes:
: >>
: >>
: >>
:
:



-Hoss