Solr, Invalid chunk header when indexing

Solr, Invalid chunk header when indexing

Diego Marconato
Hi all,

with Solr 3.3.0 when indexing I get the following errors (sometimes):

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Invalid chunk header
Caused by: com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxIOException: Invalid chunk header
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Invalid chunk header
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.filters.ChunkedInputFilter.throwIOException(ChunkedInputFilter.java:610)

Any idea of a workaround to solve the problem ..... I can act in some way
in solrconfig.xml?

thanks in advance

Diego
(Venice, Italy)

Re: Solr, Invalid chunk header when indexing

Shawn Heisey-2
On 10/29/2014 3:09 AM, Diego Marconato wrote:

> with Solr 3.3.0 when indexing I get the following errors (sometimes):
>
> org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
> org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Invalid chunk header
> Caused by: com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxIOException: Invalid chunk header
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Invalid chunk header
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.filters.ChunkedInputFilter.throwIOException(ChunkedInputFilter.java:610)
>

> Any idea of a workaround to solve the problem ..... I can act in some way
> in solrconfig.xml?

The class org.apache.coyote.http11.filters.ChunkedInputFilter is a
tomcat class.  Tomcat seems to be complaining about the HTTP connection
from the client.  HTTP chunking (a feature of http 1.1, related to
keepalive if I'm not mistaken) seems to be having problems.  Solr itself
is not involved with this exception.

This is most likely a client issue, a bug in tomcat, or a configuration
issue in tomcat.  The client issue could be an issue with a proxy, too.
 The haproxy load balancer (which I use with Solr) usually requires the
http-pretend-keepalive option when talking to a servlet container like
jetty or tomcat.

http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/configuration-1.5.html#4-option%20http-pretend-keepalive

Thanks,
Shawn