Solr Newbie question: doubts about dynamic filed

Solr Newbie question: doubts about dynamic filed

Marcio Pinto Motta
Hi,

I have some doubts about dynamic fields,  when we add a doc with a new
dynamic filed, this new dynamic filed is only "append" to doc's that will
have it defined in the xml, or for every document in the index?

My documents may have more the one client classification and I think that I
could use dynamic filed for each client classification.
But not all doc have more de one client classification (this client
classification will not be indexed).

Thanks for your help.

Marcio.

Re: Solr Newbie question: doubts about dynamic filed

Yonik Seeley-2
On 9/20/06, Marcio Pinto Motta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have some doubts about dynamic fields,  when we add a doc with a new
> dynamic filed, this new dynamic filed is only "append" to doc's that will
> have it defined in the xml, or for every document in the index?

Just for documents that the field appears in.

Re: Solr Newbie question: doubts about dynamic filed

Chris Hostetter-3

: > I have some doubts about dynamic fields,  when we add a doc with a new
: > dynamic filed, this new dynamic filed is only "append" to doc's that will
: > have it defined in the xml, or for every document in the index?
:
: Just for documents that the field appears in.

the one thing to keep an eye on however is the "omitNorms" option on your
fields and field types ... in my experience, it makes sense to set it to
true for a large majority of dynamicFields, particularaly when you are
dealing with a lot of heterogenous document types.  it's really only an
issue for keeping your index size down, and it's very possibly that you
care more about having norms then you do about index size, but it's a
question you allways want to ask yourself when creating a dynamic field.

-Hoss