Solr Search problem; cannot search the existing word in the index content

Solr Search problem; cannot search the existing word in the index content

Mint Ekalak
Hi,

I'm working on the index/search project recently and i found solr which is
very fascinating to me.

I followed the test successful from the tutorial page. Starting up jetty and
run adding new xml (user:~/solr/example/exampledocs$ *java -jar post.jar
*.xml*) so far so good at this stage.

Now i have create my own testing westpac.xml file with real data I intend to
implement, putting in exampledocs and again ran the command
(user:~/solr/example/exampledocs$ *java -jar post.jar westpac.xml*).
Everything went on very well however when i searched for "*rhode*" which is
in the content. And Index returned nothing.

Could anyone guide me what I did wrong why i couldn't search for that word
even though that word is in my index content.

thanks,

Mint

Re: Solr Search problem; cannot search the existing word in the index content

Erick Erickson
A couple of things:
1> try searching with &debugQuery=on attached to your URL, that'll
give you some clues.
2> It's really worthwhile exploring the admin pages for a while, it'll also
give you a world of information. It takes a while to understand what the
various pages are telling you, but you'll come to rely on them.
3> Are you really searching with leading and trailing wildcards or is that
just the mail changing bolding? Because this is tricky, very tricky. Search
the mail archives for "leading wildcard" to see lots of discussion of this
topic.

You might back off a bit and try building up to wildcards if that's what
you're doing....

HTH
Erick

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Mint o_O! <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on the index/search project recently and i found solr which is
> very fascinating to me.
>
> I followed the test successful from the tutorial page. Starting up jetty
> and
> run adding new xml (user:~/solr/example/exampledocs$ *java -jar post.jar
> *.xml*) so far so good at this stage.
>
> Now i have create my own testing westpac.xml file with real data I intend
> implement, putting in exampledocs and again ran the command
> (user:~/solr/example/exampledocs$ *java -jar post.jar westpac.xml*).
> Everything went on very well however when i searched for "*rhode*" which is
> in the content. And Index returned nothing.
>
> Could anyone guide me what I did wrong why i couldn't search for that word
> even though that word is in my index content.
>
> thanks,
>
> Mint

Re: Solr Search problem; cannot search the existing word in the index content

Lance Norskog-2
backslash*rhode
\*rhode may work.

Lance Norskog

Re: Solr Search problem; cannot search the existing word in the index content

Mint Ekalak
Thanks for you advice. I did as you said and i still cannot search my
content.

One thing i notice here i can search for only the words within first 100
rows or maybe bigger than this not sure but not all. So is it the limitation
of the index it self? When I create another sample content with only small
amount of data. It's working great!!!
My content is around 1.2M. I stored it as the text field as in the
schema.xml sample file.

Anyone has the same issue with me?

thanks,

Mint

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Lance Norskog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> backslash*rhode
> \*rhode may work.
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > A couple of things:
> > 1> try searching with &debugQuery=on attached to your URL, that'll
> > give you some clues.
> > 2> It's really worthwhile exploring the admin pages for a while, it'll
> also
> > give you a world of information. It takes a while to understand what the
> > various pages are telling you, but you'll come to rely on them.
> > 3> Are you really searching with leading and trailing wildcards or is
> that
> > just the mail changing bolding? Because this is tricky, very tricky.
> > the mail archives for "leading wildcard" to see lots of discussion of
> this
> > topic.
> >
> > You might back off a bit and try building up to wildcards if that's what
> > you're doing....
> >
> > HTH
> > Erick
> >
> > On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Mint o_O! <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm working on the index/search project recently and i found solr which
> is
> >> very fascinating to me.
> >>
> >> I followed the test successful from the tutorial page. Starting up jetty
> >> and
> >> run adding new xml (user:~/solr/example/exampledocs$ *java -jar post.jar
> >> *.xml*) so far so good at this stage.
> >>
> >> Now i have create my own testing westpac.xml file with real data I
> intend
> >> implement, putting in exampledocs and again ran the command
> >> (user:~/solr/example/exampledocs$ *java -jar post.jar westpac.xml*).
> >> Everything went on very well however when i searched for "*rhode*" which
> is
> >> in the content. And Index returned nothing.
> >>
> >> Could anyone guide me what I did wrong why i couldn't search for that
> word
> >> even though that word is in my index content.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>
> >> Mint
> >>

> --
> Lance Norskog

RE: Solr Search problem; cannot search the existing word in the index content

Zero Yao
Modify all <maxFieldLength> settings in solrconfig.xml and try again, by default solr will only index the first 10000 fields.

Best Regards,
Yandong

> [...]

> >> run adding new xml (user:~/solr/example/exampledocs$ *java -jar post.jar
> >> *.xml*) so far so good at this stage.
> >>
> >> Now i have create my own testing westpac.xml file with real data I
> intend
> >> implement, putting in exampledocs and again ran the command
> >> (user:~/solr/example/exampledocs$ *java -jar post.jar westpac.xml*).
> >> Everything went on very well however when i searched for "*rhode*" which
> is
> >> in the content. And Index returned nothing.
> >>
> >> Could anyone guide me what I did wrong why i couldn't search for that
> word
> >> even though that word is in my index content.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>
> >> Mint
> >>

> --
> Lance Norskog

Re: Solr Search problem; cannot search the existing word in the index content

Hi Yandong,

You are right. It works!!!
You are the best.

Thanks,