Solr consultants?

Wade Leftwich-4
Hello Solr people,

I work for Prism Business Media (http://prismb2b.com), a
business-to-business magazine publishing company that has 70 or so
websites (I haven't counted lately).

We have been looking for a new search server (to replace Thunderstone)
and to extend our capabilities in searching across our various content
repositories. We also think faceted browsing is very cool and have a
couple of applications in mind already. I've played around with Solr
enough to see that it is a very strong candidate.

Now I'm trying to identify Solr experts who could help us with a pilot
project.

We do have programmers on staff (including me), and we develop many of
our own applications, but we are interested in outside help for several
reasons:
- We've got a project with a good business case that justifies spending
some bucks to get into production faster.
- We prefer open-source technology, in fact Thunderstone is our only
closed application. But it makes management feel more secure when there
is some level of commercial support available.
- We're not Java coders (we are a Python-PHP-Perl shop, but willing to
learn); and it's quite likely we'll need a custom module or two.
- We could use some help building our in-house expertise.

Any discussion or advice appreciated. Please feel free to reply on-list
or off-list as you prefer.

Thanks --

Wade Leftwich
Prism Business Media
business: [hidden email]
personal: [hidden email]

Re: Solr consultants?

Mike Klaas
On 11/16/06, Wade Leftwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now I'm trying to identify Solr experts who could help us with a pilot
> project.

Finding Solr-specific consultants might be difficult (I could be
wrong--this is a good place to look if they are available).  However,
there isn't too much of Solr which would be difficult for an
experienced java programmer to master.   The "guts" of Solr is the
Lucene search engine, and experience building lucene-based search
solutions would be directly applicable to Solr.  I've certainly seen
this skill listed on CVs.

Of course, this list is always available for help.

-Mike

Re: Solr consultants?

Chris Hostetter-3

: wrong--this is a good place to look if they are available).  However,
: there isn't too much of Solr which would be difficult for an
: experienced java programmer to master.   The "guts" of Solr is the
: Lucene search engine, and experience building lucene-based search
: solutions would be directly applicable to Solr.  I've certainly seen
: this skill listed on CVs.

Right, if you're looking for someone to help you write RequestHandler
plugins, or make improvements to core Solr code, fiding consultants with a
good Lucene background is a good starting point .. the underlying concepts
will already make sense to them, they just may not be familiar with the
Solr abstractions on top of them.  The Lucene Java wiki has a list of
parties for hire you might wnat to start with...

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/Support

-Hoss