Solr deployment in tomcat

Cool The Breezer
Hello Group,
                  Does anyone able to deploy solr.war @ tomcat. I just tried to deploy it as per wiki and it gives bunch of exceptions and I dont think those exceptions have any relevance with the actual cause. I was wondering if there is any speciaf configuration needed?

The exceptions I got:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
 at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.java:74)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:223)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:304)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:77)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:3634)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4217)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)

- RB

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

Re: Solr deployment in tomcat

Chris Laux
> Hello Group,
>  Does anyone able to deploy solr.war @ tomcat. I just tried to deploy it as per wiki and it gives bunch of exceptions and I dont think those exceptions have any relevance with the actual cause. I was wondering if there is any speciaf configuration needed?

I had that very same problem while trying to set solr up with tomcat
(and multiple instances). I have given up for now and am working with
Jetty instead.

Chris Laux

Re: Solr deployment in tomcat

Jérôme Etévé-2
Hi,

Here's what I've got (multiplesolr instance within the same tomcat server)

In
/var/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/

For an instance 'foo' :

foo.xml :
<Context path="foo" docBase="/var/tomcat/solrapp/solr.war" debug="0"
crossContext="true" >
   <Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
value="/var/solr/foo/" override="true" />
</Context>

/var/tomcat/solrapp/solr.war is the path to the solr war file. It can
be anywhere on the disk.
/var/solr/foo/ is the solr home for this instance (where you'll put
your schema.xml , solrconfig.xml etc.. ) .

Restart tomcat and you should see your foo app appear in your deployed apps.

Jerome.

--
Jerome Eteve.
[hidden email]
http://jerome.eteve.free.fr/

Re: Solr deployment in tomcat

Chris Laux
Jérôme Etévé wrote:
[...]
> /var/solr/foo/ is the solr home for this instance (where you'll put
> your schema.xml , solrconfig.xml etc.. ) .

Thanks for the input Jérôme, I gave it another try and discovered that
what I was doing wrong was copying the solr/example/ directory to what
you call "/var/solr/foo/", while copying solr/example/solr/ is what
works now.

Maybe I should add a note to the Wiki...

Chris

Re: Solr deployment in tomcat

Jérôme Etévé-2
On 10/9/07, Chris Laux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jérôme Etévé wrote:
> [...]
> > /var/solr/foo/ is the solr home for this instance (where you'll put
> > your schema.xml , solrconfig.xml etc.. ) .
>
> Thanks for the input Jérôme, I gave it another try and discovered that
> what I was doing wrong was copying the solr/example/ directory to what
> you call "/var/solr/foo/", while copying solr/example/solr/ is what
> works now.
>
> Maybe I should add a note to the Wiki...

Sounds like a good idea ! Actually I remember struggling a bit to have
multiple instance of solr in tomcat.

--
Jerome Eteve.
[hidden email]
http://jerome.eteve.free.fr/

Re: Solr deployment in tomcat

Cool The Breezer
It worked. Thanks a lot. I just updated value attrb of <Environment> tag of solr.xml. Maybe you should update wiki for Unix as well as Windows examples.

<Context path="solr" docBase="C:/apache-solr-1.2.0/example/webapps/solr.war" debug="0" crossContext="true" >
<Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String" value="C:/apache-solr-1.2.0/example/solr" override="true" />
</Context>

On 10/9/07, Chris Laux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jérôme Etévé wrote:
> [...]
> > /var/solr/foo/ is the solr home for this instance (where you'll put
> > your schema.xml , solrconfig.xml etc.. ) .
>
> Thanks for the input Jérôme, I gave it another try and discovered that
> what I was doing wrong was copying the solr/example/ directory to what
> you call "/var/solr/foo/", while copying solr/example/solr/ is what
> works now.
>
> Maybe I should add a note to the Wiki...

Sounds like a good idea ! Actually I remember struggling a bit to have
multiple instance of solr in tomcat.

--
Jerome Eteve.
[hidden email]