Solr field auditing

Jay Potharaju-2
Hi,
I am trying to implement some auditing fields in solr to track when was the
last time a document was updated. Basically when a document is updated, I
would like to store when the last time updated + the current timestamp.
example :
*First time indexing*
Doc1 : {id:1, category:shoes, update_date: NOW(), last_update_date:[NOW()]}
*After Update*
Doc1: {id:1, category:shirt, update_date: NOW(), last_update_date:[NOW(),
'2019-09-01']}

I know this can be done easily by logging something in the DB also during
indexing. Or during indexing I can make a call to solr and get the last
indexed time and update the field during indexing.
But was trying to see if update request processor can be used to do this.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jay