Solr in production env.

Simon Willnauer
Hello,

I almost convinced my boss to use Solr in production for a new project
and hopefully for lots of following projects but I'm a bit confused
that there is no release available for download. Is Solr still in a
beta state, are there solr servers in production. Is it recommendable
to use it in production? I would be glad about some experience and
recommendations about this topic.

best regards Simon

Re: Solr in production env.

Bertrand Delacretaz
Hi Simon,

> ...are there solr servers in production...

You can see a list at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers -
there's some solid stuff running on Solr already!

-Bertrand

Re: Solr in production env.

Tim Archambault-2
CNET has been using SOLR in production for quite some time. There are others
on this list-serv that can elaborate way beyond me.

On 9/11/06, Simon Willnauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I almost convinced my boss to use Solr in production for a new project
> and hopefully for lots of following projects but I'm a bit confused
> that there is no release available for download. Is Solr still in a
> beta state, are there solr servers in production. Is it recommendable
> to use it in production? I would be glad about some experience and
> recommendations about this topic.
>

> best regards Simon

Re: Solr in production env.

Eivind Hasle Amundsen
I know about a number of production installations.
I even know of a company which mere existence is based partly on Solr. :)

There is also a public list of production installations available on the
homepage and/or Wiki.

Eivind

Re: Solr in production env.

jrodenburg
Hi Simon -

We're running Solr in production, and it's rock solid.  Of course you can't
really just take an anonymous word for it, but I would honestly put this
stack up against any other system you can find, open source or commercial.
Run it for yourself and you'll be alarmed at how sound it is, out of the
box.

I'll bet Hoss & Yonik's paycheck on it.  ;-)

-- j

P.S. Hoss & Yonik - just kidding, but couldn't resist.  Many kudos to your
efforts on this.

On 9/11/06, Simon Willnauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I almost convinced my boss to use Solr in production for a new project
> and hopefully for lots of following projects but I'm a bit confused
> that there is no release available for download. Is Solr still in a
> beta state, are there solr servers in production. Is it recommendable
> to use it in production? I would be glad about some experience and
> recommendations about this topic.
>

> best regards Simon

Re: Solr in production env.

Chris Hostetter-3

: I'll bet Hoss & Yonik's paycheck on it.  ;-)

: P.S. Hoss & Yonik - just kidding, but couldn't resist.  Many kudos to your
: efforts on this.

I can't speak for Yonik, but I take no offense -- I bet my paycheck on
Solr every day :)

: > and hopefully for lots of following projects but I'm a bit confused
: > that there is no release available for download. Is Solr still in a
: > beta state, are there solr servers in production. Is it recommendable
: > to use it in production? I would be glad about some experience and
: > recommendations about this topic.

With any piece of software I'd personally recommend you rev your local
copy only after veting that it behaves as you expect based on your usage
of the previous version (ie:  have your own Unit Tests that you run
against it on a Dev box before deploying to production).  It's also wise
to keep snapshots of the source code and documentation each time you rev
your local copy in case the project takes a drastic turn in direction and
you find yourself wanting to fork from the last version you were happy
with.

As for Solr specificly: *I* certainly think it's suitable for production
use, and have a vested interested in making sure it doesn't change so
radically that future changes aren't backwards compatible.

Re: Solr in production env.

Chris Hostetter-3

: I even know of a company which mere existence is based partly on Solr. :)

now *that* sounds like i story i'd like to hear more of

Re: Solr in production env.

Eivind Hasle Amundsen
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : I even know of a company which mere existence is based partly on Solr. :)
>
> now *that* sounds like i story i'd like to hear more of

Unfortunately we are in the same boat. I was asked to take part in this
startup, but turned down the offer. I bet they are eager to keep their
secrets for themselves anyway :)

I only know that they have been working with their product and ideas for
half a year now, and that they are going live this year.

I have no clue what they really are doing.

Eivind