Solr index cannot be opened with luke anymore

Solr index cannot be opened with luke anymore

Thorsten Scherler-3
Hi all,

I am using luke (http://www.getopt.org/luke/) for inspecting lucene

When I started to investigate solr I downloaded a nightly
(solr-2006-11-27.zip). I played around and quickly after, I started to
use trunk.

I notice a very weird problem that I do not understand. I tried to open
the solr index with luke on trunk and it fails with:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: $PATH/solr/data/index/_0.f1 (No such file
or directory)

I then tried with my old nightly from 11-27 and it works like a charm.
Since my local trunk has some code from the issue tracker and some other
customization I thought it may be problem of this customization.

To test I extended the schema from  nightly-11-27 with my custom fields,
added some documents and opened (without any problem) the index with
luke.

Meaning it is not my fields/schema that forces luke to fail. Curious I
graped today's nightly and run the example. After adding the solr.xml
from the sample docs I try to connect with luke again and get the same
error. Notice that the exact same file is missing (_0.f1).

Stack:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/thorsten/src/apache/apache-solr-nightly-incubating/example/solr/data/index/_0.f1 (No such file or directory)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:212)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSIndexInput
$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:393)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSIndexInput.<init>(FSDirectory.java:402)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:287)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.openNorms(SegmentReader.java:500)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.initialize(SegmentReader.java:157)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:129)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:115)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader
$1.doBody(IndexReader.java:147)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock$With.run(Lock.java:109)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:140)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:135)
        at org.getopt.luke.Luke.openIndex(Unknown Source)
        at org.getopt.luke.Luke.startLuke(Unknown Source)
        at org.getopt.luke.Luke.main(Unknown Source)
/home/thorsten/src/apache/apache-solr-nightly-incubating/example/solr/data/index/_0.f1 (No such file or directory)

I cannot explain why this suddenly happens (when it works like a charm
with the last month code).

I even wrote a small lucene index/segment debugging tool (if somebody is
interested I can add it to the issue tracker), but that it is not
showing any problems, nor does searching and updating.

Before I start to review all commits since 11-27 does somebody has a
guess why and which commit may cause this issue.

Further should I open an issue in our tracker?

TIA for any infos.

salu2