Solr join + Boost in single query

sraav
David,

Is it possible to write a query to join two cores and either bring back data from the two cores or to boost on the data coming back from either of the cores? Is that possible with Solr?

Raavi

Re: Solr join + Boost in single query

David Smiley
No, not without writing something custom anyway. It'd be difficult to make it fast if there's a lot of documents to join on.

sraav wrote

Raavi

Re: Solr join + Boost in single query

sraav
David,
Thank you for the reply.

How about boosting on the records that match the both the cores or may be boosting on join may be? Is there a way we can do that?

Raav

Re: Solr join + Boost in single query

Erick Erickson
This seems very much like it may be an "XY" problem.
From Hossman's apache page:

Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
with "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
without giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
full issue.  Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
See Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341

So can you back up a bit and state, at a high level, what the problem
you're trying to solve is?

Best,
Erick

Or do you think there is a way to do a union between the two cores?

Re: Solr join + Boost in single query

sraav
Eric,

I am trying to boost the fields that match both the cores to the top of the list.  Or atleast get a union of the two cores.

Thanks,
Raavi

Re: Solr join + Boost in single query

Mikhail Khludnev
sounds like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6234 ? doesn't it?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:40 AM, sraav <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David,
>
> Is it possible to write a query to join two cores and either bring back
> data
> from the two cores or to boost on the data coming back from either of the
> cores? Is that possible with Solr?
>
> Raavi

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Principal Engineer,
Grid Dynamics

<http://www.griddynamics.com>
<[hidden email]>

Re: Solr join + Boost in single query

sraav
Yes Mikhail. Similar to the one you mentioned. The only difference is that, in my case a uinon between two cores would work too..

Re: Solr join + Boost in single query

Mikhail Khludnev
if I get you right, "union" query can be achieved by SHOULD clauses:
q=foo {!scorejoin  fromIndex=2nd}bar