Solr muticore OR Solr multiple instances

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Solr muticore OR Solr multiple instances

Umesh_
All,

I was trying to find information about plus/deltas with using
- Solr muticore where each core has a different index
- Multiple instances where each Solr instance has its own index

So currently we have a Master/Slave configuration in place where we just have one index. But we need to support a new different search which would require us to add new index.

So should I add new instances of solr or should I use muticore feature where each core has its own index.
I could achieve my goal with both approaches but which one would be better.

I would appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Umesh Kant
Em
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr muticore OR Solr multiple instances

Em
Hi Umesh,

how does your access-pattern looks like?
Do you need to combine results from different indizes?

Kind regards,
Em

Am 24.02.2012 18:37, schrieb Umesh_:

> All,
>
> I was trying to find information about plus/deltas with using
> - Solr muticore where each core has a different index
> - Multiple instances where each Solr instance has its own index
>
> So currently we have a Master/Slave configuration in place where we just
> have one index. But we need to support a new different search which would
> require us to add new index.
>
> So should I add new instances of solr or should I use muticore feature where
> each core has its own index.
> I could achieve my goal with both approaches but which one would be better.
>
> I would appreciate your response.
>
> Thanks,
> Umesh Kant
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-muticore-OR-Solr-multiple-instances-tp3773192p3773192.html
> Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr muticore OR Solr multiple instances

Umesh_
Hi Em,

Both the indices will be used by different applications and as of now we do not have any need to combine the results.

Thanks,
Umesh
Em
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr muticore OR Solr multiple instances

Em
Hi Umesh,

if you want to completely separate both Solr-instances for any reasons,
feel free to do so.
However *I* feel very comfortable with managing multiple SolrCores
within the same ServletContainer-instance (i.e. Tomcat).

The only reasons why I ever setup multiple instances were
security-considerations (client wanted to enforce separate access to
both Solr-servers and different Solr-homes as well).

The other reason was to try out multiple JVM-instances per machine, in
order to check whether multiple JVM-instances with less RAM perform
better than one JVM-instance with much RAM.
Sometimes a multiple-JVM setup moved to production, sometimes not.

In short:
>So should I add new instances of solr or should I use muticore feature
where
> each core has its own index.
As I tried to explain above: it depends.

Kind regards,
Em

Am 24.02.2012 23:16, schrieb Umesh_:

> Hi Em,
>
> Both the indices will be used by different applications and as of now we do
> not have any need to combine the results.
>
> Thanks,
> Umesh
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-muticore-OR-Solr-multiple-instances-tp3773192p3773915.html
> Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>