Solr on Tomcat

Matt Kuiper
I am starting to look in to Solr 5.0.  I have been running Solr 4.* on Tomcat.   I was surprised to find the following notice on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+Tomcat   (Marked as Unreleased)

     Beginning with Solr 5.0, Support for deploying Solr as a WAR in servlet containers like Tomcat is no longer supported.

I want to verify that it is true that Solr 5.0 will not be able to run on Tomcat, and confirm that the recommended way to deploy Solr 5.0 is as a Linux service.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Solr on Tomcat

Erik Hatcher-4
Matt -

That is true about the recommendation; use bin/solr to start and stop Solr and consider it a black box service in that manner.  We’re getting out of the business of supporting other containers and reigning it in like this.

Underneath there currently is still a .war web app (which may change in future releases), so technically it will still work with Tomcat but “don’t do that” is what you’ll hear here.

        Erik

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 11:48 AM, Matt Kuiper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am starting to look in to Solr 5.0.  I have been running Solr 4.* on Tomcat.   I was surprised to find the following notice on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+Tomcat   (Marked as Unreleased)
>
>     Beginning with Solr 5.0, Support for deploying Solr as a WAR in servlet containers like Tomcat is no longer supported.
>
> I want to verify that it is true that Solr 5.0 will not be able to run on Tomcat, and confirm that the recommended way to deploy Solr 5.0 is as a Linux service.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Re: Solr on Tomcat

Timothy Potter
Correct. Solr 5.0 is not a Web application; any WAR or Web app'ish things
in Solr 5 are implementation details that may change in the future. The ref
guide will include some content about how to migrate to Solr 5 from 4.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Matt Kuiper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am starting to look in to Solr 5.0.  I have been running Solr 4.* on
> Tomcat.   I was surprised to find the following notice on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+Tomcat
>  (Marked as Unreleased)
>
>      Beginning with Solr 5.0, Support for deploying Solr as a WAR in
> servlet containers like Tomcat is no longer supported.
>
> I want to verify that it is true that Solr 5.0 will not be able to run on
> Tomcat, and confirm that the recommended way to deploy Solr 5.0 is as a
> Linux service.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Re: Solr on Tomcat

Shawn Heisey-2
On 2/10/2015 9:48 AM, Matt Kuiper wrote:
> I am starting to look in to Solr 5.0.  I have been running Solr 4.* on Tomcat.   I was surprised to find the following notice on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+Tomcat   (Marked as Unreleased)
>
>      Beginning with Solr 5.0, Support for deploying Solr as a WAR in servlet containers like Tomcat is no longer supported.
>
> I want to verify that it is true that Solr 5.0 will not be able to run on Tomcat, and confirm that the recommended way to deploy Solr 5.0 is as a Linux service.

Solr will eventually (hopefully soon) be entirely its own application.
The documentation you have seen in the reference guide is there to
prepare users for this eventuality.

Right now we are in a transition period.  We have built scripts for
controlling the start and stop of the example server installation.
Under the covers, Solr is still a web application contained in a war and
the example server still runs an unmodified copy of jetty.  Down the
road, when Solr will becomes a completely standalone application, we
will merely have to modify the script wrapper to use it, and the user
may not even notice the change.

With 5.0, if you want to run in tomcat, you will be able to find the war
in the download's server/webapps directory and use it just like you do
now ... but we will be encouraging people to NOT do this, because
eventually it will be completely unsupported.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: Solr on Tomcat

Matt Kuiper
Thanks for all the responses.  I am planning a new project, and considering deployment options at this time.  It's helpful to see where Solr is headed.

Thanks,

Matt Kuiper

On 2/10/2015 9:48 AM, Matt Kuiper wrote:
> I am starting to look in to Solr 5.0.  I have been running Solr 4.* on Tomcat.   I was surprised to find the following notice on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Running+Solr+on+Tomcat   (Marked as Unreleased)
>
>      Beginning with Solr 5.0, Support for deploying Solr as a WAR in servlet containers like Tomcat is no longer supported.
>
> I want to verify that it is true that Solr 5.0 will not be able to run on Tomcat, and confirm that the recommended way to deploy Solr 5.0 is as a Linux service.

Solr will eventually (hopefully soon) be entirely its own application.
The documentation you have seen in the reference guide is there to prepare users for this eventuality.

Right now we are in a transition period.  We have built scripts for controlling the start and stop of the example server installation.
Under the covers, Solr is still a web application contained in a war and the example server still runs an unmodified copy of jetty.  Down the road, when Solr will becomes a completely standalone application, we will merely have to modify the script wrapper to use it, and the user may not even notice the change.

With 5.0, if you want to run in tomcat, you will be able to find the war in the download's server/webapps directory and use it just like you do now ... but we will be encouraging people to NOT do this, because eventually it will be completely unsupported.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr on Tomcat

Gopal Patwa
I think until Solr become completely standalone, it could be major task for
all folks who run Solr as war or repackage Solr war maven release to adopt
5.0 release, since they need to remove tomcat or any other  container they
have in production for running Solr.

Not to mention there will tools build for those container to support
logging and monitoring.

And possibly people will still use unsupported war release to fulfill their
needs until Solr standalone release become stable.

For our use case we repackage solr war (maven release) to include some
custom code which help us to test/debug/deploy our code easily.

Most likely for us we have to create maven war artifact from solr.war
locally and publish to our internal maven repository, so our current build
and deploy process does not break.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Matt Kuiper <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses.  I am planning a new project, and
> considering deployment options at this time.  It's helpful to see where
> Solr is headed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Kuiper

Re: Solr on Tomcat

Dan Davis-2
As an application developer, I have to agree with this direction.   I ran
ManifoldCF and Solr together in the same Tomcat, and the sl4j
configurations of the two conflicted with strange results.   From a systems
administrator/operations perspective, a separate install allows better
packaging, e.g. Debian and RPM packages are then possible, although may not
be preferred as many enterprises will want to use Oracle Java rather than
OpenJDK.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Matt Kuiper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses.  I am planning a new project, and
> considering deployment options at this time.  It's helpful to see where
> Solr is headed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Kuiper

Re: Solr on Tomcat

Jakov Sosic
On 02/10/2015 07:55 PM, Dan Davis wrote:
> As an application developer, I have to agree with this direction.   I ran
> ManifoldCF and Solr together in the same Tomcat, and the sl4j
> configurations of the two conflicted with strange results.   From a systems
> administrator/operations perspective, a separate install allows better
> packaging, e.g. Debian and RPM packages are then possible, although may not
> be preferred as many enterprises will want to use Oracle Java rather than
> OpenJDK.

And what exactly stops you from running two different Tomcat services,
each of them for 1 respective app ?

Re: Solr on Tomcat

Chris Hostetter-3

: I think until Solr become completely standalone, it could be major task for

Solr 5.0 is already completley standalone.

Running bin/solr (or bin/solr.cmd) as a standalone daemon is the only
documented & supported way to run Solr 5.

*Internally* Solr is using jetty -- but that is 100% an implementation
detail, and is completely subject to change in minor releases.

(Future 5.x versions might bypass the servlet container APIs and depending
directly on specific jetty features, or might even rip out jetty
completley and replace the entire networking stack with something new to
better support cross node communication, etc...)

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/