Solr process taking a long time before taking commands after restart

Solr process taking a long time before taking commands after restart

Koen De Groote
Greetings all,

I was testing some backup/restore scenarios.

1 of them is Solr7.6 in a docker container(7.6.0-slim), set up as
SolrCloud, with zookeeper. Deleting the data folder on the host, restarting
the container, resetting the data folder and restoring.

It all works fine, except it took about 10 minutes before Solr responded to
a simple CLUSTERSTATUS command, a healthcheck or even load the admin UI.

We're talking about 20GB of data here, so not very much, but not little
either.

Once responsive, the restore happened just fine.

Is it normal that it takes so long before solr responds? If not, what
should I look at in order to find the cause?

Kind regards,
Koen De Groote

Re: Solr process taking a long time before taking commands after restart

Erick Erickson
It’d be interesting to see a thread dump during that time, sounds like everything’s blocked until the restore is done, although 10 minutes for 20G seems excessive.

Best,
Erick

> On Nov 15, 2019, at 10:35 AM, Koen De Groote <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings all,
>
> I was testing some backup/restore scenarios.
>
> 1 of them is Solr7.6 in a docker container(7.6.0-slim), set up as
> SolrCloud, with zookeeper. Deleting the data folder on the host, restarting
> the container, resetting the data folder and restoring.
>
> It all works fine, except it took about 10 minutes before Solr responded to
> a simple CLUSTERSTATUS command, a healthcheck or even load the admin UI.
>
> We're talking about 20GB of data here, so not very much, but not little
> either.
>
> Once responsive, the restore happened just fine.
>
> Is it normal that it takes so long before solr responds? If not, what
> should I look at in order to find the cause?
>
> Kind regards,
> Koen De Groote

Re: Solr process taking a long time before taking commands after restart

Jörn Franke
Do you have some suggester or so that is possible automatically rebuilding after restore?

> Am 15.11.2019 um 16:36 schrieb Koen De Groote <[hidden email]>:
>
> Greetings all,
>
> I was testing some backup/restore scenarios.
>
> 1 of them is Solr7.6 in a docker container(7.6.0-slim), set up as
> SolrCloud, with zookeeper. Deleting the data folder on the host, restarting
> the container, resetting the data folder and restoring.
>
> It all works fine, except it took about 10 minutes before Solr responded to
> a simple CLUSTERSTATUS command, a healthcheck or even load the admin UI.
>
> We're talking about 20GB of data here, so not very much, but not little
> either.
>
> Once responsive, the restore happened just fine.
>
> Is it normal that it takes so long before solr responds? If not, what
> should I look at in order to find the cause?
>
> Kind regards,
> Koen De Groote

Re: Solr process taking a long time before taking commands after restart

Koen De Groote
I see now from my writing that I made the impression that this happened
after the restore.

In fact, it happened before the restore, after the restart.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 4:38 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It’d be interesting to see a thread dump during that time, sounds like
> everything’s blocked until the restore is done, although 10 minutes for 20G
> seems excessive.
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> > On Nov 15, 2019, at 10:35 AM, Koen De Groote <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I was testing some backup/restore scenarios.
> >
> > 1 of them is Solr7.6 in a docker container(7.6.0-slim), set up as
> > SolrCloud, with zookeeper. Deleting the data folder on the host,
> restarting
> > the container, resetting the data folder and restoring.
> >
> > It all works fine, except it took about 10 minutes before Solr responded
> > a simple CLUSTERSTATUS command, a healthcheck or even load the admin UI.
> >
> > We're talking about 20GB of data here, so not very much, but not little
> > either.
> >
> > Once responsive, the restore happened just fine.
> >
> > Is it normal that it takes so long before solr responds? If not, what
> > should I look at in order to find the cause?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Koen De Groote

Re: Solr process taking a long time before taking commands after restart

Koen De Groote
I see now from my writing that I made the impression that this happened
after the restore.

In fact, it happened before the restore, after the restart.

No suggester that I know of.