Solr: "Upgrade Notes" no longer in CHANGES.txt; See Ref Guide

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Solr: "Upgrade Notes" no longer in CHANGES.txt; See Ref Guide

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
I want to draw attention to an issue I've worked on that makes some notable changes to CHANGES.txt maintenance: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14149
It's already code-reviewed by Jan and Cassandra approves (a huge fan).  In particular I want to draw attention to the move of the "upgrade notes" subject to be strictly in the Solr Ref Guide which goes here: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/solr-upgrade-notes.adoc  You can see the PR to see what it looks like.  I repeat, NO MORE adding upgrade notes to the top of CHANGES.txt.  If you have opposing views on this, please speak up in JIRA.  I plan to commit the issue in a couple days.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr: "Upgrade Notes" no longer in CHANGES.txt; See Ref Guide

Cassandra Targett
I’m just finally getting around to looking at this to prep for 8.5. Thanks David & Jan for working on this, I think it will help. 

I have a few questions for this release:

The Release Notes (feature/improvement highlights) will still be in CWIKI, right (even if just for now)?

Do we want to try to include the Version of Major Components section in the Ref Guide, or are we dropping it entirely?

Do we want to try to separate out the upgrade notes for each version into separate pages at this point, or also save that as a possibility for later?

Thanks again - 

Cassandra
On Feb 2, 2020, 11:16 PM -0600, David Smiley <[hidden email]>, wrote:
I want to draw attention to an issue I've worked on that makes some notable changes to CHANGES.txt maintenance: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14149
It's already code-reviewed by Jan and Cassandra approves (a huge fan).  In particular I want to draw attention to the move of the "upgrade notes" subject to be strictly in the Solr Ref Guide which goes here: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/solr-upgrade-notes.adoc  You can see the PR to see what it looks like.  I repeat, NO MORE adding upgrade notes to the top of CHANGES.txt.  If you have opposing views on this, please speak up in JIRA.  I plan to commit the issue in a couple days.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr: "Upgrade Notes" no longer in CHANGES.txt; See Ref Guide

david.w.smiley@gmail.com

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 4:35 PM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Release Notes (feature/improvement highlights) will still be in CWIKI, right (even if just for now)?

Yes I think so.  This really should be strictly a major highlights kind of info -- somewhat brief.  We rely on the ref guide + CHANGES.txt for deeper info.
 
Do we want to try to include the Version of Major Components section in the Ref Guide, or are we dropping it entirely?

Drop entirely IMO.  We have separate pages with info for ZK & Java which are probably the only pertinent version numbers of related software.
 
Do we want to try to separate out the upgrade notes for each version into separate pages at this point, or also save that as a possibility for later?

No opinion; your call.  Maybe start a new page at 9.0.
 
~ David

Thanks again - 

Cassandra
On Feb 2, 2020, 11:16 PM -0600, David Smiley <[hidden email]>, wrote:
I want to draw attention to an issue I've worked on that makes some notable changes to CHANGES.txt maintenance: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14149
It's already code-reviewed by Jan and Cassandra approves (a huge fan).  In particular I want to draw attention to the move of the "upgrade notes" subject to be strictly in the Solr Ref Guide which goes here: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/solr-upgrade-notes.adoc  You can see the PR to see what it looks like.  I repeat, NO MORE adding upgrade notes to the top of CHANGES.txt.  If you have opposing views on this, please speak up in JIRA.  I plan to commit the issue in a couple days.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr: "Upgrade Notes" no longer in CHANGES.txt; See Ref Guide

Cassandra Targett
Thanks David, that helps.

For sure we’ll have a separate page for 9.0, likely along the lines as we have for 6, 7, and 8. Maybe also starting in 9.0 I’ll revisit the idea of doing separate upgrade note pages too, but won’t do it now.
On Mar 3, 2020, 4:10 PM -0600, David Smiley <[hidden email]>, wrote:

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 4:35 PM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Release Notes (feature/improvement highlights) will still be in CWIKI, right (even if just for now)?

Yes I think so.  This really should be strictly a major highlights kind of info -- somewhat brief.  We rely on the ref guide + CHANGES.txt for deeper info.
 
Do we want to try to include the Version of Major Components section in the Ref Guide, or are we dropping it entirely?

Drop entirely IMO.  We have separate pages with info for ZK & Java which are probably the only pertinent version numbers of related software.
 
Do we want to try to separate out the upgrade notes for each version into separate pages at this point, or also save that as a possibility for later?

No opinion; your call.  Maybe start a new page at 9.0.
 
~ David

Thanks again - 

Cassandra
On Feb 2, 2020, 11:16 PM -0600, David Smiley <[hidden email]>, wrote:
I want to draw attention to an issue I've worked on that makes some notable changes to CHANGES.txt maintenance: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14149
It's already code-reviewed by Jan and Cassandra approves (a huge fan).  In particular I want to draw attention to the move of the "upgrade notes" subject to be strictly in the Solr Ref Guide which goes here: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/solr-upgrade-notes.adoc  You can see the PR to see what it looks like.  I repeat, NO MORE adding upgrade notes to the top of CHANGES.txt.  If you have opposing views on this, please speak up in JIRA.  I plan to commit the issue in a couple days.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer