Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Drooy Drooy
Hi All,

We have an in-house project running in Solr 4.7 with Master/Slave mode for
a few years, what is it going to take to upgrade it to SolrCloud with
TLOG/PULL replica mode ?

I read the upgrade guides, none of them talking about the jump from 4.x to
7.

Thanks much
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Petersen, Robert (Contr)
From what I have read, you can only upgrade to the next major version number without using a tool to convert the indexes to the newer version. But that is still perilous due to deprications etc


So I think best advice out there is to spin up a new farm on 7.1 (especially from 4.x), make a new collection there, reindex everything into it and then switch over to the new farm. I would also ask the question are you thinking to go to master/slave on 7.1? Wouldn't you want to go with solr cloud?


I started with master/slave and yes it is simpler but there is that one single point of failure (the master) for indexing, which is of course easily manually overcome by purposing a slave as the new master and repointing the remaining slaves at the new master however this is a completely manual process you try to avoid in cloud mode.


I think you'd need to think this through more fully with the new possibilities available and how you'd want to migrate given your existing environment is so far behind.


Thanks

Robi

________________________________
From: Drooy Drooy <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:27:53 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Hi All,

We have an in-house project running in Solr 4.7 with Master/Slave mode for
a few years, what is it going to take to upgrade it to SolrCloud with
TLOG/PULL replica mode ?

I read the upgrade guides, none of them talking about the jump from 4.x to
7.

Thanks much

________________________________

This communication is confidential. Frontier only sends and receives email on the basis of the terms set out at http://www.frontier.com/email_disclaimer.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Erick Erickson
Completely agree with Robert. I'd also add that you should _not_ copy
your configs from 4x. Start with the 7x configs and add any
customizations but don't change things like luceneMatchVersion and the
like.

If you simply _cannot_ reindex, take a look at
https://github.com/cominvent/solr-tools/blob/master/upgradeindex/upgradeindex.sh

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Petersen, Robert (Contr)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> From what I have read, you can only upgrade to the next major version number without using a tool to convert the indexes to the newer version. But that is still perilous due to deprications etc
>
>
> So I think best advice out there is to spin up a new farm on 7.1 (especially from 4.x), make a new collection there, reindex everything into it and then switch over to the new farm. I would also ask the question are you thinking to go to master/slave on 7.1? Wouldn't you want to go with solr cloud?
>
>
> I started with master/slave and yes it is simpler but there is that one single point of failure (the master) for indexing, which is of course easily manually overcome by purposing a slave as the new master and repointing the remaining slaves at the new master however this is a completely manual process you try to avoid in cloud mode.
>
>
> I think you'd need to think this through more fully with the new possibilities available and how you'd want to migrate given your existing environment is so far behind.
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Robi
>
> ________________________________
> From: Drooy Drooy <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:27:53 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1
>
> Hi All,
>
> We have an in-house project running in Solr 4.7 with Master/Slave mode for
> a few years, what is it going to take to upgrade it to SolrCloud with
> TLOG/PULL replica mode ?
>
> I read the upgrade guides, none of them talking about the jump from 4.x to
> 7.
>
> Thanks much
>
> ________________________________
>
> This communication is confidential. Frontier only sends and receives email on the basis of the terms set out at http://www.frontier.com/email_disclaimer.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Shawn Heisey-2
In reply to this post by Drooy Drooy
On 12/14/2017 2:27 PM, Drooy Drooy wrote:
> We have an in-house project running in Solr 4.7 with Master/Slave mode for
> a few years, what is it going to take to upgrade it to SolrCloud with
> TLOG/PULL replica mode ?
>
> I read the upgrade guides, none of them talking about the jump from 4.x to
> 7.

I would strongly recommend that you treat the new version as an entirely
new deployment, not as something you're going to upgrade.  Build new
collections with configs designed from 7.x examples and reindex
completely from scratch.

Many configs that people are using with version 4 were actually designed
for earlier versions and contain things that won't even work with 5.x,
let alone 7.x.  Even if you have a config built specifically for 4.x, it
is still likely that it's not going to work at all in 7.x without at
least some minimal updates.

The number of changes you're probably going to WANT (in addition to
those that you NEED) will probably make your config incompatible with
your existing index data.  It is extremely likely that you will need to
reindex at some point.  Three major versions is an *enormous* change to
how Solr works.

Just in case you might need it, here's a wiki page about reindexing. 
You may already be aware of what that means:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToReindex

Thanks,
Shawn

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Drooy Drooy
In reply to this post by Erick Erickson
Hi Erick/Robi,

Thanks for your replies! one more question, if I go with solrcloud and
having PULL/TLOG replication mixed in the cluster, by the documentation,
this would have Master/Slave mode benefit as well,  does that seem feasible
to you? are there any projects adopting this new feature in 7.0/7.1 ?

Thanks
Drooy


On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Completely agree with Robert. I'd also add that you should _not_ copy
> your configs from 4x. Start with the 7x configs and add any
> customizations but don't change things like luceneMatchVersion and the
> like.
>
> If you simply _cannot_ reindex, take a look at
> https://github.com/cominvent/solr-tools/blob/master/
> upgradeindex/upgradeindex.sh
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Petersen, Robert (Contr)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > From what I have read, you can only upgrade to the next major version
> number without using a tool to convert the indexes to the newer version.
> But that is still perilous due to deprications etc
> >
> >
> > So I think best advice out there is to spin up a new farm on 7.1
> (especially from 4.x), make a new collection there, reindex everything into
> it and then switch over to the new farm. I would also ask the question are
> you thinking to go to master/slave on 7.1? Wouldn't you want to go with
> solr cloud?
> >
> >
> > I started with master/slave and yes it is simpler but there is that one
> single point of failure (the master) for indexing, which is of course
> easily manually overcome by purposing a slave as the new master and
> repointing the remaining slaves at the new master however this is a
> completely manual process you try to avoid in cloud mode.
> >
> >
> > I think you'd need to think this through more fully with the new
> possibilities available and how you'd want to migrate given your existing
> environment is so far behind.
> >
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Robi
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Drooy Drooy <[hidden email]>
> > Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:27:53 PM
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We have an in-house project running in Solr 4.7 with Master/Slave mode
> for
> > a few years, what is it going to take to upgrade it to SolrCloud with
> > TLOG/PULL replica mode ?
> >
> > I read the upgrade guides, none of them talking about the jump from 4.x
> to
> > 7.
> >
> > Thanks much
> >
> > ________________________________
> >
> > This communication is confidential. Frontier only sends and receives
> email on the basis of the terms set out at http://www.frontier.com/email_
> disclaimer.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1

Erick Erickson
What advantage do you see in TLOG and/or PULL replicas? The TLOG and
PULL replica types are for some pretty specific use cases,
particularly high-indexing-throughput cases where you can't afford to
index each doc on every node in your cluster. If you can afford the
CPU cycles to index on every node, I'd stick with NRT replicas.

Yes, though, you can mix/match the types. I question whether you
_want_ to, but you know your app best.

Best,
Erick

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Drooy Drooy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Erick/Robi,
>
> Thanks for your replies! one more question, if I go with solrcloud and
> having PULL/TLOG replication mixed in the cluster, by the documentation,
> this would have Master/Slave mode benefit as well,  does that seem feasible
> to you? are there any projects adopting this new feature in 7.0/7.1 ?
>
> Thanks
> Drooy
>
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Completely agree with Robert. I'd also add that you should _not_ copy
>> your configs from 4x. Start with the 7x configs and add any
>> customizations but don't change things like luceneMatchVersion and the
>> like.
>>
>> If you simply _cannot_ reindex, take a look at
>> https://github.com/cominvent/solr-tools/blob/master/
>> upgradeindex/upgradeindex.sh
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Petersen, Robert (Contr)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > From what I have read, you can only upgrade to the next major version
>> number without using a tool to convert the indexes to the newer version.
>> But that is still perilous due to deprications etc
>> >
>> >
>> > So I think best advice out there is to spin up a new farm on 7.1
>> (especially from 4.x), make a new collection there, reindex everything into
>> it and then switch over to the new farm. I would also ask the question are
>> you thinking to go to master/slave on 7.1? Wouldn't you want to go with
>> solr cloud?
>> >
>> >
>> > I started with master/slave and yes it is simpler but there is that one
>> single point of failure (the master) for indexing, which is of course
>> easily manually overcome by purposing a slave as the new master and
>> repointing the remaining slaves at the new master however this is a
>> completely manual process you try to avoid in cloud mode.
>> >
>> >
>> > I think you'd need to think this through more fully with the new
>> possibilities available and how you'd want to migrate given your existing
>> environment is so far behind.
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Robi
>> >
>> > ________________________________
>> > From: Drooy Drooy <[hidden email]>
>> > Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:27:53 PM
>> > To: [hidden email]
>> > Subject: Solr upgrade from 4.x to 7.1
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > We have an in-house project running in Solr 4.7 with Master/Slave mode
>> for
>> > a few years, what is it going to take to upgrade it to SolrCloud with
>> > TLOG/PULL replica mode ?
>> >
>> > I read the upgrade guides, none of them talking about the jump from 4.x
>> to
>> > 7.
>> >
>> > Thanks much
>> >
>> > ________________________________
>> >
>> > This communication is confidential. Frontier only sends and receives
>> email on the basis of the terms set out at http://www.frontier.com/email_
>> disclaimer.
>>