Solr usage with Auctions/Classifieds?

regany
hello!

just wondering if anyone is using Solr as their search for an auction / classified site, and if so how have you managed your setup in general? ie. searching against listings that may have expired etc.

regan

Re: Solr usage with Auctions/Classifieds?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:07 AM, regany <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello!
>
> just wondering if anyone is using Solr as their search for an auction /
> classified site, and if so how have you managed your setup in general? ie.
> searching against listings that may have expired etc.

We use Solr more many listings sites. Typically we index the expiry date in
the document and exclude them through a filter e.g.
fq=expiry_date:[NOW/DAY+1DAYS TO *]

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Solr usage with Auctions/Classifieds?

Grant Ingersoll-2

On Dec 8, 2009, at 6:37 PM, regany wrote:

> hello!
>
> just wondering if anyone is using Solr as their search for an auction /
> classified site, and if so how have you managed your setup in general? ie.
> searching against listings that may have expired etc.

I know several companies using Solr for classifieds/auctions.  Some remove the old listings while others leave them in and filter them or even allow users to see old stuff (but often for reasons other than users finding them, i.e. SEO).  For those that remove, it's typically a batch operation that takes place at night.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: Solr usage with Auctions/Classifieds?

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
A follow-up on the auction use case.

How do you handle the need for frequent updates of only one field, such as the last bid field (needed for sort on price, facets or range)?
For high traffic sites, the document update rate becomes very high if you re-send the whole document every time the bid price changes.

--
Jan Høydahl  - search architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 10. des. 2009, at 19.52, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2009, at 6:37 PM, regany wrote:
>

>> hello!
>>
>> just wondering if anyone is using Solr as their search for an auction /
>> classified site, and if so how have you managed your setup in general? ie.
>> searching against listings that may have expired etc.
>

> I know several companies using Solr for classifieds/auctions.  Some remove the old listings while others leave them in and filter them or even allow users to see old stuff (but often for reasons other than users finding them, i.e. SEO).  For those that remove, it's typically a batch operation that takes place at night.
>
> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>
> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:

Re: Solr usage with Auctions/Classifieds?

Lance Norskog-2
This field type allows you to have an external file that gives a float
value for a field. You can only use functions on it.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> A follow-up on the auction use case.
>
> How do you handle the need for frequent updates of only one field, such as the last bid field (needed for sort on price, facets or range)?
> For high traffic sites, the document update rate becomes very high if you re-send the whole document every time the bid price changes.
>
> --
> Jan Høydahl  - search architect
> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
> On 10. des. 2009, at 19.52, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>

>> On Dec 8, 2009, at 6:37 PM, regany wrote:
>>

>>> hello!
>>>
>>> just wondering if anyone is using Solr as their search for an auction /
>>> classified site, and if so how have you managed your setup in general? ie.
>>> searching against listings that may have expired etc.
>>

>> I know several companies using Solr for classifieds/auctions.  Some remove the old listings while others leave them in and filter them or even allow users to see old stuff (but often for reasons other than users finding them, i.e. SEO).  For those that remove, it's typically a batch operation that takes place at night.
>>
>> --------------------------
>> Grant Ingersoll
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>>
>> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Lance Norskog

Re: Solr usage with Auctions/Classifieds?

Andy-152
How do I set up and use this external file?

Can I still use such a field in fq or boost?

Can you point me to the right documentation? Thanks

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> A follow-up on the auction use case.
>
> How do you handle the need for frequent updates of only one field, such as the last bid field (needed for sort on price, facets or range)?
> For high traffic sites, the document update rate becomes very high if you re-send the whole document every time the bid price changes.
>
> --
> Jan Høydahl  - search architect
> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
> On 10. des. 2009, at 19.52, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>

>> On Dec 8, 2009, at 6:37 PM, regany wrote:
>>

>>> hello!
>>>
>>> just wondering if anyone is using Solr as their search for an auction /
>>> classified site, and if so how have you managed your setup in general? ie.
>>> searching against listings that may have expired etc.
>>

>> I know several companies using Solr for classifieds/auctions.  Some remove the old listings while others leave them in and filter them or even allow users to see old stuff (but often for reasons other than users finding them, i.e. SEO).  For those that remove, it's typically a batch operation that takes place at night.
>>
>> --------------------------
>> Grant Ingersoll
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/
>>
>> Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using Solr/Lucene:
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

--
Lance Norskog

Re: Solr usage with Auctions/Classifieds?

Lance Norskog-2
Oops, forgot to add the link:

http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/CDRG_ch04_4.4.4

Lance Norskog

Re: Solr usage with Auctions/Classifieds?

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
With the new sort by function in 1.5 (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery#Sort_By_Function), will it now be possible to include the ExternalFileField value in the sort formula? If so, we could sort on last bid price or last bid time without updating the document itself.

However, to display the result with the fresh values, we need to go to DB, or is there someone working on the possibility to return ExternalFileField values for result view?

--

On 4. feb. 2010, at 06.25, Lance Norskog wrote:

> Oops, forgot to add the link:
>
> http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/document/CDRG_ch04_4.4.4
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Andy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How do I set up and use this external file?
>>
>> Can I still use such a field in fq or boost?
>>
>> Can you point me to the right documentation? Thanks

The class was added in 2007 and hasn't changed. I don't know if anyone uses it.

Presumably sort-by-function will use it.

--
Lance Norskog
[hidden email]