Solr1.3 Freeze

Andrew Nagy-2
I read on the Solr 1.3 wiki page that there is a code freeze as of today, is this still accurate?  Moreover - does this mean that Solr1.3 will most likely ship with Lucene 2.4-dev or is there any plan to wait for lucene 2.4 to be released?

I know scheduling questions are annoying, but I am curious as to how to better manage a project that uses solr and how releases should be scheduled around that.

Thanks!
Andrew

Re: Solr1.3 Freeze

hossman

: I read on the Solr 1.3 wiki page that there is a code freeze as of
: today, is this still accurate?  Moreover - does this mean that Solr1.3
: will most likely ship with Lucene 2.4-dev or is there any plan to wait
: for lucene 2.4 to be released?

People who are interested in following/discussing the release process
should keep tabs on solr-dev ... Grant volunteered to act as the Release
Manager for 1.3, and (to paraphrase his comments from a few hours ago) he
does not feel we are quite ready for a feature freeze.

Re: Solr1.3 Freeze

Grant Ingersoll-2
We are getting there, though, and it is a high priority.  :-)  It will
use 2.4-dev, as far as I can tell, unless the Lucene community all of
a sudden decides to ship.  Not to worry, however, as Hoss has
explained a number of times, it is the Lucene PMC that makes releases,
not Lucene Java or Solr communities.  So, by us making a Solr release
w/ that version, we are effectively releasing that copy of Lucene.
Maybe we should call it lucene-2.4-solr.jar so as to drop the word dev
from it.

One of the best things the community can do to help, is to download
and try out trunk, as well as the release candidates that we will be
posting during the freeze, and give us feedback.  Because 1.3 has a
lot of changes (we hope for the better), this will be especially
important.

-Grant

On Aug 12, 2008, at 10:45 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : I read on the Solr 1.3 wiki page that there is a code freeze as of
> : today, is this still accurate?  Moreover - does this mean that
> Solr1.3
> : will most likely ship with Lucene 2.4-dev or is there any plan to
> wait
> : for lucene 2.4 to be released?
>
> People who are interested in following/discussing the release process
> should keep tabs on solr-dev ... Grant volunteered to act as the
> Release
> Manager for 1.3, and (to paraphrase his comments from a few hours
> ago) he
> does not feel we are quite ready for a feature freeze.
>

> -Hoss

RE: Solr1.3 Freeze

Andrew Nagy-2
Thank Grant for the update.  We have found that the lucene-2.4-dev libs are a bit out dated.  My colleague is going to open a bug about this.  Has any thought been made as to what snapshot of the lucene-2.4-dev libs will be used for solr 1.3?  I also like the idea of renaming them to lucene-2.4-solr.  I think having libs with "-dev" can be a bit scary to people who are putting solr 1.3 in production.

Thanks!
Andrew