Solr8.7 How to increase JVM-Memory ?

Matheo Software Info

Hi All,

Since several years I work with a old version of Solr on Ubuntu, version 5.4.

Today I test the 8.7 version.

But I’m not able to change the JVM-Memory like in my 5.4 version.

Many answers on the web tell to modify the solr.in.sh file but in my case I have only /opt/solr/solr.in.sh.orig.

And if I change the SOLR_HEAP to a new value like “8g” Dashboard shows always 512MB.

I try also to change SOLR_JAVA_MEM without success.

Of course, I restart solr each time. (service solr restart). No error in log. All work fine but no 8g of memory.

I also try to copie solr.in.sh.orig to solr.in.sh, the result is always the same.

Could you help me ?

Cordialement, Best Regards

Bruno Mannina

www.matheo-software.com

www.patent-pulse.com

Tél. +33 0 970 738 743

Mob. +33 0 634 421 817

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Re: Solr8.7 How to increase JVM-Memory ?

Jörn Franke
Did you make solr.in.sh executable ? Eg chmod a+x solr.in.sh ?

> Am 18.11.2020 um 16:33 schrieb Matheo Software <[hidden email]>:
>

> Hi All,
>
> Since several years I work with a old version of Solr on Ubuntu, version 5.4.
> Today I test the 8.7 version.
> But I’m not able to change the JVM-Memory like in my 5.4 version.
>
> Many answers on the web tell to modify the solr.in.sh file but in my case I have only /opt/solr/solr.in.sh.orig.
> And if I change the SOLR_HEAP to a new value like “8g” Dashboard shows always 512MB.
> I try also to change SOLR_JAVA_MEM without success.
>
> Of course, I restart solr each time. (service solr restart). No error in log. All work fine but no 8g of memory.
>
> I also try to copie solr.in.sh.orig to solr.in.sh, the result is always the same.
>
> Could you help me ?
>
> Cordialement, Best Regards
> Bruno Mannina
> www.matheo-software.com
> www.patent-pulse.com
> Tél. +33 0 970 738 743
> Mob. +33 0 634 421 817
>

> Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

RE: Solr8.7 How to increase JVM-Memory ?

Bruno Mannina
Yes. It was executable.

Must I to create solr.in.sh by copying from solr.in.sh.orig ? it's the right way ?

Did you make solr.in.sh executable ? Eg chmod a+x solr.in.sh ?

> Am 18.11.2020 um 16:33 schrieb Matheo Software <[hidden email]>:
>

> Hi All,
>
> Since several years I work with a old version of Solr on Ubuntu, version 5.4.
> Today I test the 8.7 version.
> But I’m not able to change the JVM-Memory like in my 5.4 version.
>
> Many answers on the web tell to modify the solr.in.sh file but in my case I have only /opt/solr/solr.in.sh.orig.
> And if I change the SOLR_HEAP to a new value like “8g” Dashboard shows always 512MB.
> I try also to change SOLR_JAVA_MEM without success.
>
> Of course, I restart solr each time. (service solr restart). No error in log. All work fine but no 8g of memory.
>
> I also try to copie solr.in.sh.orig to solr.in.sh, the result is always the same.
>
> Could you help me ?
>
> Cordialement, Best Regards
> Bruno Mannina
> www.matheo-software.com
> www.patent-pulse.com
> Tél. +33 0 970 738 743
> Mob. +33 0 634 421 817
>

> Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Re: Solr8.7 How to increase JVM-Memory ?

Jörn Franke
I think it should be /etc/default/solr.in.sh
And executable for the user executing Solr

> Am 18.11.2020 um 16:44 schrieb Bruno Mannina <[hidden email]>:
>
> Yes. It was executable.
>
> Must I to create solr.in.sh by copying from solr.in.sh.orig ? it's the right way ?

Yes ! It works !

I just set SOLR_HEAP="8g" and restart solr.

Thanks a lot !