SolrCloud upgrade concern

gnandre
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my system from Solr master-slave architecture to
SolrCloud architecture.
Meanwhile, I stumbled upon this very negative post about SolrCloud.

https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/A-Last-Message-to-the-Solr-Users-td4452980.html

Given that it is from one of the initial authors of SolrCloud
functionality, I am having second thoughts about the upgrade and I am
somewhat concerned.

I will greatly appreciate any advice/feedback on this from Solr community.

Re: SolrCloud upgrade concern

David Hastings
ha, im on that thread, didnt know they got stored on a site, thats good to
know!

-i stand by what i said in there.  so i have nothing more to add

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 3:29 PM Arnold Bronley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to upgrade my system from Solr master-slave architecture to
> SolrCloud architecture.
> Meanwhile, I stumbled upon this very negative post about SolrCloud.
>

> https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/A-Last-Message-to-the-Solr-Users-td4452980.html
>

> Given that it is from one of the initial authors of SolrCloud
> functionality, I am having second thoughts about the upgrade and I am
> somewhat concerned.
>
> I will greatly appreciate any advice/feedback on this from Solr community.

Re: SolrCloud upgrade concern

Jason Gerlowski
Hi Arnold,

The stability and complexity issues Mark highlighted in his post
aren't just imagined - there are real, sometimes serious, bugs in
SolrCloud features.  But at the same time there are many many stable
deployments out there where SolrCloud is a real success story for
users.  Small example, I work at a company (Lucidworks) where our main
product (Fusion) is built heavily on top of SolrCloud and we see it
deployed successfully every day.

In no way am I trying to minimize Mark's concerns (or David's).  There
are stability bugs.  But the extent to which those need affect you
depends a lot on what your deployment looks like.  How many nodes?
How many collections?  How tightly are you trying to squeeze your
hardware?  Is your network flaky?  Are you looking to use any of
SolrCloud's newer, less stable features like CDCR, etc.?

Is SolrCloud better for you than Master/Slave?  It depends on what
you're hoping to gain by a move to SolrCloud, and on your answers to
some of the questions above.  I would be leery of following any
recommendations that are made without regard for your reason for
switching or your deployment details.  Those things are always the
biggest driver in terms of success.

Good luck making your decision!

Best,

Jason