Sometimes searching slow in Solr 6.1.0

vishal patel-2
We have 2 shards and 2 replicas in our live environment. Total of 26 collections. we give 64GB RAM for a single Solr instance.
I have faced a slow searching issue in our live environment. In our scenario, there are many update requests come within minutes like 50,000. At that time searching becomes slow.
The query is normal but taking a 4to5 seconds. When the same query will execute after sometimes it will not take time.
Our solr config details:
* autoCommit is 60000 and autoSoftCommit is 100.
* No caching add in config.

Can we handle the update thread priority? why searching is slow at that time? can we monitor updates and search requests for solr cloud performance?
<http://aka.ms/weboutlook>

Regards,
Vishal

Re: Sometimes searching slow in Solr 6.1.0

Shawn Heisey-2
On 12/13/2019 12:29 AM, vishal patel wrote:
> We have 2 shards and 2 replicas in our live environment. Total of 26 collections. we give 64GB RAM for a single Solr instance.

Are you saying that the machine has 64GB of memory, or that the Java
heap for Solr is 64GB?

Looking over the list history, it looks like you've started other
threads about performance problems, and I have advised you on some of
them.  From what you had said on those threads, I thought you were on a
much newer version than 6.1.0.

You've been given the following wiki page before.  It would be a good
idea to read it fully, and come back with any questions you have about it.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems#Asking_for_help_on_a_memory.2Fperformance_issue

> I have faced a slow searching issue in our live environment. In our scenario, there are many update requests come within minutes like 50,000. At that time searching becomes slow.
> The query is normal but taking a 4to5 seconds. When the same query will execute after sometimes it will not take time.
> Our solr config details:
> * autoCommit is 60000 and autoSoftCommit is 100.

The maxTime values for those are in milliseconds.  So if you have
maxTime for autoSoftCommit set to 100, that's a tenth of a second.
There's no way that setting can be healthy.  The autoSoftCommit setting
should be much longer.  I'd start at two minutes (120000) and adjust
from there.  If it's maxDocs that's set to 100, that is also way too
small.  I would recommend only setting maxTime.

Thanks,
Shawn