SourceForge.net Lucene based search announcement

SourceForge.net Lucene based search announcement

cconrad
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that we've officially announced
that the new SourceForge.net search system is based on Lucene.  It's
been in operation for over a month now and we're very happy with it.
I'd also like to personally thank Erik Hatcher for helping me out
during development.

You can find Lucene listed in the Site Software section of our
support guide here: http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?
docid=11230&group_id=1#site_software

Thanks,
Chris Conrad
SourceForge.net Engineer

Re: SourceForge.net Lucene based search announcement

Erik Hatcher
Congrats, Chris!   This was no doubt a big effort.  I didn't do much
but lend some moral support.  There was an odd issue you had with
certain types of queries at one point - did you get that resolved?

     Erik

On May 25, 2005, at 3:40 PM, Chris Conrad wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to let everyone know that we've officially announced
> that the new SourceForge.net search system is based on Lucene.
> It's been in operation for over a month now and we're very happy
> with it.  I'd also like to personally thank Erik Hatcher for
> helping me out during development.
>
> You can find Lucene listed in the Site Software section of our
> support guide here: http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?
> docid=11230&group_id=1#site_software
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Conrad
> SourceForge.net Engineer

Re: SourceForge.net Lucene based search announcement

chrislusf

I found Sourceforge's search is still "results by YAHOO! search". What
does that mean?
And currently, seems the search condition for the keywords is still OR,
not AND.
This makes search for "lucene java" returns a long list, yet without the
one I wanted in the first several rows.

Chris Lu

Chris Conrad wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to let everyone know that we've officially announced
> that the new SourceForge.net search system is based on Lucene.  It's
> been in operation for over a month now and we're very happy with it.
> I'd also like to personally thank Erik Hatcher for helping me out
> during development.
>
> You can find Lucene listed in the Site Software section of our
> support guide here: http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?
> docid=11230&group_id=1#site_software
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Conrad
> SourceForge.net Engineer

Re: SourceForge.net Lucene based search announcement

cconrad
Hello,

The "results by YAHOO! search" is a marketing thing that we have no
real control over.  I promise that the actual project search engine
is using Lucene.

As for defaulting to OR, it was decided that the new search should
function as similarly as possible to the old search system by
default.  The new search engine, however, will happily handle boolean
queries in the search box, so feel free to search for "lucene and
java".  We're working on a comprehensive search guide which will
explain the features in more details but some of the new things you
can do include phrase searches and prefix searches.

And I have to admit, we haven't stomped out all of the bugs yet.  If
you do find something that seems genuinely broken, please submit a
support request.

--Chris Conrad
SourceForge.net Engineer

On May 27, 2005, at 1:48 AM, Chris Lu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found Sourceforge's search is still "results by YAHOO! search".
> What does that mean?
> And currently, seems the search condition for the keywords is still
> OR, not AND.
> This makes search for "lucene java" returns a long list, yet
> without the one I wanted in the first several rows.
>
> Chris Lu
>
> Chris Conrad wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I just wanted to let everyone know that we've officially
>> announced  that the new SourceForge.net search system is based on
>> Lucene.  It's  been in operation for over a month now and we're
>> very happy with it.   I'd also like to personally thank Erik
>> Hatcher for helping me out  during development.
>>
>> You can find Lucene listed in the Site Software section of our
>> support guide here: http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?
>> docid=11230&group_id=1#site_software
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris Conrad
>> SourceForge.net Engineer

Re: SourceForge.net Lucene based search announcement

chrislusf
Hi, Chris Conrad, thanks for your reply.

I guess it'll be very interesting for us to hear the story of how
sourceforge built the search by lucene.
Like what's the structure, how the indexes are synchronized/updated, and
how it can perform under your current load.
Any tips will also be very interesting.

Chris Lu