Squashing GitHub pull requests while merging

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Squashing GitHub pull requests while merging

kkrugler
I was perusing https://wiki.apache.org/tika/UsingGit <https://wiki.apache.org/tika/UsingGit>, and noticed that it doesn’t talk about squashing a pull request’s commits while merging.

This is described at https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html <https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html>

Isn't this something we’d want to do as well?

Thanks,

— Ken

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squashing GitHub pull requests while merging

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
Squashing messes up history and atm requires infra intervention song would suggest we stay away from it for now

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 6, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Ken Krugler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was perusing https://wiki.apache.org/tika/UsingGit <https://wiki.apache.org/tika/UsingGit>, and noticed that it doesn’t talk about squashing a pull request’s commits while merging.
>
> This is described at https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html <https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html>
>
> Isn't this something we’d want to do as well?
>
> Thanks,
>
> — Ken
>
> --------------------------
> Ken Krugler
> +1 530-210-6378
> http://www.scaleunlimited.com
> custom big data solutions & training
> Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squashing GitHub pull requests while merging

Tyler Palsulich
A contributor should be able to squash the commits in the pull request
before we merge into the Tika. So, we don't need to mess up Tika's history.
Right?

Tyler
On May 6, 2016 8:41 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Squashing messes up history and atm requires infra intervention song would
> suggest we stay away from it for now
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 6, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Ken Krugler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I was perusing https://wiki.apache.org/tika/UsingGit <
> https://wiki.apache.org/tika/UsingGit>, and noticed that it doesn’t talk
> about squashing a pull request’s commits while merging.
> >
> > This is described at https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html <
> https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html>
> >
> > Isn't this something we’d want to do as well?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > — Ken
> >
> > --------------------------
> > Ken Krugler
> > +1 530-210-6378
> > http://www.scaleunlimited.com
> > custom big data solutions & training
> > Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr
> >
> >
> >
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squashing GitHub pull requests while merging

Mattmann, Chris A (3010)
yep I think so Tyler, I think if someone just does it upstream before
the PR we’re all good.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section (398)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: [hidden email]
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science Department
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++










On 5/7/16, 6:21 AM, "Tyler Palsulich" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>A contributor should be able to squash the commits in the pull request
>before we merge into the Tika. So, we don't need to mess up Tika's history.
>Right?
>
>Tyler
>On May 6, 2016 8:41 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <
>[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Squashing messes up history and atm requires infra intervention song would
>> suggest we stay away from it for now
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On May 6, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Ken Krugler <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I was perusing https://wiki.apache.org/tika/UsingGit <
>> https://wiki.apache.org/tika/UsingGit>, and noticed that it doesn’t talk
>> about squashing a pull request’s commits while merging.
>> >
>> > This is described at https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html <
>> https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html>
>> >
>> > Isn't this something we’d want to do as well?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > — Ken
>> >
>> > --------------------------
>> > Ken Krugler
>> > +1 530-210-6378
>> > http://www.scaleunlimited.com
>> > custom big data solutions & training
>> > Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>